Thread: a little help

Forum Member

a little help

Good morning all

I'm new to the forum. I joined because I'm a beginner, 65 yo, I own a 1995 Blade guitar. I have been looking at buying a new guitar and wonder if anyone has a suggestion on any Fender in particular. So far my taste and preferences point me toward a Player series or the Jimmie Vaughn Tex-Mex. I am mostly interested in Blues playing but of course given my age I have been influenced by rock also. Big Deep Purple and Black Sabbath fan to name just a couple. Any and all opinions are welcome.

Thanks
    Bill
    Last edited by Beetle55; 01-21-2021 at 10:16 AM. Reason: mispelling

Re: a little help

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle55 View Post
    Good morning all

I'm new to the forum. I joined because I'm a beginner, 65 yo, I own a 1995 Blade guitar. I have been looking at buying a new guitar and wonder if anyone has a suggestion on any Fender in particular. So far my taste and preferences point me toward a Player series or the Jimmie Vaughn Tex-Mex. I am mostly interested in Blues playing but of course given my age I have been influenced by rock also. Big Deep Purple and Black Sabbath fan to name just a couple. Any and all opinions are welcome.

Thanks
    Bill

Hi, Bill, and welcome. Is your Blade guitar a Strat type? If so, you might think about a Tele. The Beatles used Strats especially during the years 65-67 and here and there after that. George is also known for playing Telecasters. You can't go wrong with a player Tele.

The Jimmy Vaughan is a great guitar, but there are other Strats that rock. Considering what you want to play, you might like a Strat with a humbucker pickup in the bridge.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

If you can't try them out then buy the one that you want to play and play the heck out of it. "Blues" encompasses so much that no one guitar will do it all. Just get the one closest to your favorite player's specs and that should get you on the way.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

As much as I'd like to recommend a relatively inexpensive guitar like a Squier CV50, 60, or 70 there is a small caveat. Chances are, you being a beginner, don't have a ton of experience in making a guitar work right.

I can buy a new Classic Vibe (what the CV stands for) Squier and set it up to my liking. I can adjust the truss rod, check the radius, set the action, likewise the intonation. I also like to polish the frets. I'm not saying you can't do these things, just that I've found lower tier guitars, while still light years better than what was available 50 years ago when I first started playing, really benefit from fine-tuning and can be excellent players afterwards.

Something like the Jimmy Vaughn will likely be better setup and have smoother fretwork. It's not a guarantee but the odds are significantly better, IMHO. Same with the Players series.

Welcome to the forum and remember the law: Pics or it didn't happen
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Something like the Jimmy Vaughn will likely be better setup and have smoother fretwork. It's not a guarantee but the odds are significantly better, IMHO. Same with the Players series.
    +1000

As well, should you choose to upgrade your instrument or alter the cosmetics, you may find that many genuine Fender parts do not fit the Squier CV guitars or that modifications are necessary to make them so.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Welcome aboard, Bill! Even though I've been playing a bit longer than you, I also feel at times like I'm just a beginner. I suspect playing guitar is a lifelong process of learning!

Guitars are a completely personal item. "One man's meat is another man's poison," and all that. So, it would be nearly impossible for me to make a recommendation. But since we're here on a Fender board, if I were to suggest only one guitar (ha!), I'd probably point you to a Telecaster. As I read someone else put it, Leo Fender got it right straight from the beginning, and it's never needed improvement.

Sure, there are different models and different options, but you know what? Forget the bling. A good slab Tele with a neck that feels comfortable, and a pair of single coil pickups (yeah, I'm biased that way), and next, Katie Bardedoor!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    If you can't try them out then buy the one that you want to play and play the heck out of it. "Blues" encompasses so much that no one guitar will do it all. Just get the one closest to your favorite player's specs and that should get you on the way.

Chuck
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Thanks and good guidance. My thoughts exactly. Hey how do I reply to the posts without a quote?

Bill

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Merely hit the "REPLY TO THREAD" button at the bottom of the post.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

cool thanks