Thread: It's 8:00am Sunday. Do You Know Where Your Thread Is?

It's 8:00am Sunday. Do You Know Where Your Thread Is?

Good morning fellow TFFers. This is the Sunday thread for January 17, 2021. Not much going on in this part of the world. Well, that's probably because there are 25,000 troops in the area locking things down tighter than a bull's sphincter at fly time. That's OK. I have no desire or reason to head into the maelstrom, so I'm just going to kick back, play some guitar and (gasp!) perhaps watch some handegg today.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: It's 8:00am Sunday. Do You Know Where Your Thread Is?

I hope everyone has a great Sunday and new week!
    This has been the strangest January I can remember. On Friday it was raining and there was no snow on the ground. Friday night we got a light dusting of snow that melted off again on Saturday and this week there doesn’t appear to be any snow in the forecast. Unbelievable, almost February and no snow!

Hand egg - never heard that before but will never forget it!

We're in a holding pattern weather-wise, too. A few flurries here or there - lots more rain. That's OK - dry roads means more Mustang time! Keeping hunkered down this week. Work will have to go on, but mental focus will be on events in Washington. Connecticut's opening up the vaccine to people 65 and older so I'm going to start trying to get an appointment and the Mrs. is as smoker so she is also eligible. Hopefully in the next few weeks I can start to feel a bit safer!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Working on my usual second cup of coffee this am. We had some snow yesterday but only half of what they were calling for. Did a first run with the snowblower in the am expecting to have to do it again later but nope!

Last night my guitar player and I tested YET ANOTHER online jamming solution. This involves a Linux machine at each end running Jack and Jacktrip in peer-to-peer mode and using UDP... no server hops in between. Also have to set your router up for port forwarding and use Ethernet cable between router and computer...no WiFi. Jacktrip is command line stuff so I would guess that the average player would not bother with this. Doing this all on an older HP laptop with the latest Ubuntu Studio (audio specific) build. Same on the other end. Our first experiment at this failed - I was running Jack and Jacktrip on macOS we just couldn’t get the machines to talk no matter what. When I used the Linux machine, it just worked.

We managed get our latency down to approx 20ms - significant improvement over the 60-100ms we were getting using Jamulus, Jamkazam, etc. With Jacktrip in UDP mode, this ensures low latency but sound quality can suffer a bit as dropped packets are never recovered (which is part of the latency equation when in TCP mode). Voices can sound robotic at times, but with very low latency - that may be an acceptable compromise. Our latest experiment is promising for band collaboration. Our drummer will join the guitarist in person and I will be there virtually. As we jam, I’ll be recording a good bass signal on this end. If we get something we like, I’ll send that file over to my guitarist for mixing. We’ve got a couple of originals that were completing and are starting a new tune. Also doing video for this (not real-time monitoring, but video we’ll capture in real time and then edit in post production). So, yeah, not complex at all. But what else are we gonna do anyways?
    Last edited by dirtdog; 01-17-2021 at 08:05 AM.

Finished painting my bedroom. Took off tape and got the plastic and tape out from underneath the baseboards--LOOK MA, not one drop of paint on the carpet. I"ve started moving stuff in and after a big ass nap, I'll finish it.

After that, I'll re-watch a vid about installing side dots; then I'll work ever so slowly to do it correctly. This is the first "major" (non-soldering) job I've done on a guitar. Luthier work, even the simple stuff I'm doing, is fascinating to me, and I want learn about it and about how to do these things. Eventually, I want to build a DC set neck, but my first build will probably be a bolt on, starting from a swamp ash blank. I've got a lot to learn before I even seriously think about that. But Fun Fun.

Have a great day. We're all alive, and that's something.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

cool and pretty much snow free here and zero complaints about that from me. Holiday weekend meh, just more days to me. Yo, skiers, the snow's up at the mountains, go get it. I'm tired of hearing ski areas whining that people don't go unless there's snow in their backyards.

Almost feeling normal with the back, now if only the knee would get the memo and get on with the healing. Damn covid screwing everything up.

Guitar is on its way back to Sweetwater. I worked on a different guitar, the CV50 Esquire. The neck had a lot of sharp fret ends. Smooth as silk now. I noticed that the bridge plate had toploader holes so for grins and giggles I used them when I restrung it. I had not played the guitar in a while so it's kind of hard to tell if it makes a difference or not. I'm sure it does but not how much.

Got to do some laundry today. I've actually needed it two-three weeks now, just not able to do it. As much as I need to wash sheets, I'm not going to hurt my back dealing with that. Towels more than anything else.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"