Thread: Did I just fry my 66 Princeton

Forum Member

Did I just fry my 66 Princeton

I have a 96 Prosonic that I have used A peavey 115bx cabinet as an extension for several years. I haven't played either one for several years. they just sat. I recently retubed the Prosonic. I turn on the prosonic, then plug int the extension cab and it blows a fuse. Then Today I am playing my 66 princeton and for giggles I plug in the Same cab and the Princeton shuts down. What could be going on? What did I just fry?

Re: Did I just fry my 66 Princeton

How did you plug the cab into the Princeton. By the external speaker jack or by unplugging the internal speaker? Was there any sound before the Princeton shut down?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by kbrown1752 View Post
    I have a 96 Prosonic that I have used A peavey 115bx cabinet as an extension for several years. I haven't played either one for several years. they just sat. I recently retubed the Prosonic. I turn on the prosonic, then plug int the extension cab and it blows a fuse. Then Today I am playing my 66 princeton and for giggles I plug in the Same cab and the Princeton shuts down. What could be going on? What did I just fry?
    Never, never ever a operate a tube amp without a load. Plug the speaker in first, then turn the amp on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    How did you plug the cab into the Princeton. By the external speaker jack or by unplugging the internal speaker? Was there any sound before the Princeton shut down?

External Jack. The amp is working now. I'm just thinking the Peavey cab has an issue or the ohms are too much. The amp was on and I was playing when I plugged the cabinet into the external speaker output. It played for about 10 seconds then just faded out. I turned it off after that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    Never, never ever a operate a tube amp without a load. Plug the speaker in first, then turn the amp on.

I didn't.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Carefully check your speaker cable with a VOM. Shitcan if necessary and buy or build a new one.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."