Thread: Nylon Taped Flats on my Fretless Jazz--Not Sure I Like Them

Nylon Taped Flats on my Fretless Jazz--Not Sure I Like Them

I hate doing comparisons of guitars sometimes because it's not fair--one is going to sound better for some kinds of music.

But i played my Jazz right after playing my G&L JB. The differences were astounding. When I picked up the Fender, it sounded almost rubbery. These are Rotosounds.

I love the regular Labella flats I have on my Ric and Höfner.

What are your opinions about taped strings?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Nylon Taped Flats on my Fretless Jazz--Not Sure I Like Them

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post

What are your opinions about taped strings?
    My personal opinion is they suck. But then, I like playing round wound strings (Rotosound on some and Lakland on others) for the bright definition they produce.

I know they're expensive but try some regular flats on the fretless.

I have rounds on my new Sterling. I thought I might want to change them but they're not as bright as I was afraid they'd be. The active preamp is pretty effective in shaping the sound, much more so than the passive controls on my p bass.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Yeah, I'm losing the tape.

I heard DR makes some rounds that aren't too tough on the fretboard. I might try those. I'm really disappointed in the ones on there now--I know the bass is capable of much more than I'm getting with these strings.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Yeah, I'm losing the tape.

I heard DR makes some rounds that aren't too tough on the fretboard. I might try those. I'm really disappointed in the ones on there now--I know the bass is capable of much more than I'm getting with these strings.
    I’ve been playing Lakland stainless round wound on my 55-94 Lakland for (going on) 22 years and there is virtually no fret wear. I just put a fresh set on and did a complete setup on it to get ready for another season of great gigs..

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    My personal opinion is they suck. But then, I like playing round wound strings (Rotosound on some and Lakland on others) for the bright definition they produce.
    +1

Taped strings sound like rubber bands to me.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Yep. Those rubber bands are gone tomorrow.

I used to use fender 9120s. Tried 7120s which were completely different. The 9120s felt and sounded great. Not like a flat or rubberband. Like a round wound or half wound anyway. The biggest reason I quit using them was the inability to ground with the instrument to dissipate the ground buzz. I like chrome which are flats and TI flats mostly on my basses. One bass has TI JF344s that are about 13 years old. Kind of hard to beat and I like the old school sound.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I was tempted to put some rounds on the fretless, just for shits and giggles, but I got the Labellas for it. I've got rounds for the "new" black JB.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    I used to use fender 9120s. Tried 7120s which were completely different. The 9120s felt and sounded great. Not like a flat or rubberband. Like a round wound or half wound anyway. The biggest reason I quit using them was the inability to ground with the instrument to dissipate the ground buzz. I like chrome which are flats and TI flats mostly on my basses. One bass has TI JF344s that are about 13 years old. Kind of hard to beat and I like the old school sound.
    Kenny, I'm looking at some D'Addario ECB81 XL Chromes Flatwound Bass Strings, have you had a chance to try those?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Kenny, I'm looking at some D'Addario ECB81 XL Chromes Flatwound Bass Strings, have you had a chance to try those?
    Dan - I like Chromes. I have them on one roadworn, and at least one other Jazz - maybe 2 or 3 who knows. I like them a lot, and find that new they are a little zingy. Give them a month or three it will wear off "some". They are higher tension then TI flats, but not as stiff as the Fender Flats. you can usually get them around $30 a set. I have some that are 7-9 years old and play great. I have TIs that are like 13-14 years old, I like them A LOT.

Back to your question - new chromes sometimes leave black residue on your fingers. I understand that is likely graphite. I like to wipe them down really good to remove that and kind of de-bur the strings.
    Kenny Belmont

Kenny, did you tell me once that you were using Pyramids, or was it the TIs? I've had some TIs in the past for a guitar when I was in a jazz band.

Kenny, did you tell me once that you were using Pyramids, or was it the TIs? I've had some TIs in the past for a guitar when I was in a jazz band.
    I have used TI's but never did try pyramids.

I have tried a lot of rounds, and pretty much like Dunlop nickle rounds. I can use others, but like the softer touch, less aggressive sound for what I do.
    Kenny Belmont