Thread: Fender newbie! Is the Tele Vintera 70s deluxe/road worn worth the extra money?

Forum Member

Fender newbie! Is the Tele Vintera 70s deluxe/road worn worth the extra money?

Hi.

I'm not a really big Fender tele expert.

I am looking to buy a humbucker equipped Tele once I sell my Gibson Les Paul Jr.

I miss humbuckers and I cannot resist the price friendly Fenders, sounds good on paper for the price.

But I have been looking at the Vintera 70s deluxe and Vintera Road Worn 70s deluxe.
    They both come in a bit of a extra charge and I am wondering if one of them will be worth the extra money?
    Especially for the Road Worn 70s deluxe since I am familiar with nitro finish and would love that.

Right away the guitar I get, will be getting a SD JB on bridge, and I'm mostly bridge PU only player.
    Would you go for Player Series and save extra bucks from Vintera versions? Or does Vintera have step up in quality that's worth the extra money?

Re: Fender newbie! Is the Tele Vintera 70s deluxe/road worn worth the extra money?

As always with any gear, it depends on what kind of music you play. If you want to play contemporary popular music of most genres, go for a Player. If you want the vintage sound, go for the Vintera. As for road worn, I've heard that they feel fantastic. Just be advised that everyone else's road worn ax is going to have the same pattern of wear. If that's not an issue, then no problem. I hope you'll let us know what you decide. It's fun to watch folks go through the process of buying a guitar and then, especially when the player is happy, their experience of playing it.

I found this. It's informative and interesting. I would suggest that you read it before you make a decision.

https://www.reidys.com/blog/fender-p...e-differences/
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Re: Fender newbie! Is the Tele Vintera 70s deluxe/road worn worth the extra money?

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    As always with any gear, it depends on what kind of music you play. If you want to play contemporary popular music of most genres, go for a Player. If you want the vintage sound, go for the Vintera. As for road worn, I've heard that they feel fantastic. Just be advised that everyone else's road worn ax is going to have the same pattern of wear. If that's not an issue, then no problem. I hope you'll let us know what you decide. It's fun to watch folks go through the process of buying a guitar and then, especially when the player is happy, their experience of playing it.

I found this. It's informative and interesting. I would suggest that you read it before you make a decision.

https://www.reidys.com/blog/fender-p...e-differences/
    Alrighty thanks man. I really like the '72 deluxe look on the Vintera 70s, and I don't think I am now going to buy the Road worn since it's "worn" the same as others, and that's a big no for me.

I like the classic '72 look, but sound-wise it's mostly going to be very Sum 41 inspired, pop-punk blended with metal style music. So neck pickup really doesn't matter to me, and I am going to install a SD JB in bridge for versatility and more output

I love JBs and have put them in several guitars in the bridge while the necks got Seth Lovers.

I also love the look of the Vintera Tele Deluxes. If only they'd make on in Left Handed. I've wanted one ever since the mid 70s.

What color finish are you looking at?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

You will never even get a second look from me on a "road worn" guitar.

But that's just me.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I'm not a relic fan at all, but you'd have to each guitar on its own and go with the best guitar that suits you needs and budget.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I love JBs and have put them in several guitars in the bridge while the necks got Seth Lovers.

I also love the look of the Vintera Tele Deluxes. If only they'd make on in Left Handed. I've wanted one ever since the mid 70s.

What color finish are you looking at?
    For Vintera I can't decide between blonde and sunburst. But for Player Series it's only really sunburst that I like

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    You will never even get a second look from me on a "road worn" guitar.

But that's just me.
    I really don't like road worn series myself, I think factory relic is waste of money. But that's a nitro finish, which is not standard finish in the Fender guitars now

Forum Member

So I have given it a thought, and looking at the pictures of all models, it appears the Wide Range Humbucker in Vintera guitars are a little larger in size than Alnico II humbucker is in Player Series. I'm not sure if there'll be any issues to install a JB on Vintera, I could be looking at to buy a blank pickguard and cut it myself to fit a JB. Player Series will do just fine, you can't beat the specs to price ratio in my mind, it's just too good to not say yes to

Just remember that a humbucker equipped Fender will sound considerably different than a humbucker equipped Gibson. The longer scale length makes them a lot brighter. For example, on a WRHB Tele the neck pup will be brighter than the bridge pup on a Lester. It's a great sound, but the Fender sound is different.

The real joy of a Telecaster is the single coil bridge pickup with a baseplate. It's so much fun to play and places itself in any mix and has clear voice at volumes you can live with. It's danged near perfect.

My Tele has a neck 'bucker but I rarely use it. It takes so much more to push a humbucker through the mix than the bridge it's hard to balance everything.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim