Thread: Funny Builds?

Funny Builds?

I've been thinking about building an electric guitar from absolute scratch.

I'll probably use pine since it's readily available here and I've never had a pine guitar.

I have every design I've ever wanted excepting the Gibson Explorer. But those need to have a set neck, and for my first, I'll do a bolt-on.

So I was thinking that I'd cut something out of the blank that can make for a fun or even funny guitar when it's finished. I don't know what it'd be, but it'll hit me before I start the project. Maybe Quagmire's face with "Giggity" spelled out on the fretboard? One of what I hope will be many ideas before I start.

Have you ever made or had a guitar made to look silly or funny or just fun on purpose?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Funny Builds?

I’ve never deliberately built anything silly but I’ve made plenty of silly mistakes compounded by complete dumbassed moments.

Giggity indeed.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Forum Member

Banned bot, beep beep.
    Last edited by pc; 02-05-2021 at 05:09 PM.

ooo - another wacky AI spam of some sort??
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    ooo - another wacky AI spam of some sort??
    A poor excuse for AI.

As far as "silly" builds go. I agree with CG. I will readily admit to doing something silly, but not deliberately.

Who needs a "silly" guitar? Maybe Joe. Not me.

I wouldn’t mind having something silly and fun. I love seeing Rick Nielsen play his goofy ones. ZZ Top’s fuzzy guitars. I guess if I were choosing between a serious guitar made like a dragon or one made to look like Bullwinkle, I’d choose moose and squirrrrrel.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Build yourself a "HELLO KITTY" Jazz Bass.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Haha. If I were into Hello Kitty, maybe.... If I could figure it out, and for no good reason, I might make a Festus Haggen guitar. The possibilities really are endless.

How about a Joan Crawford guitar? Or one of Agnes Moorehead as Endora?

Here’s a guy that’s done some interesting builds over the last couple of years. Now, he’s less about the funny shapes and more about what he can mix in with acrylic to make a body. I like his coffee bean guitar the best:

The dude from Crimson Guitars (guy with the head tattoo) has some funny builds as well....

Wow, that coffee bean guitar is the teetz! Thanks for posting that. It was great fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Wow, that coffee bean guitar is the teetz! Thanks for posting that. It was great fun to watch.
    And if desperation sets in, due to a worldwide shortage of coffee, for example, just break it open, grind some up and brew up a hot cup!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    And if desperation sets in, due to a worldwide shortage of coffee, for example, just break it open, grind some up and brew up a hot cup!
    Apparently, you can smell the coffee bean aroma, even though there's acrylic in the way. Second best smell in the world - fresh coffee beans.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Apparently, you can smell the coffee bean aroma, even though there's acrylic in the way. Second best smell in the world - fresh coffee beans.
    Went to a conference in Kansas City once. The hotel was near the Folgers factory. The whole center section of the city smelled like coffee. It was awesome!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Went to a conference in Kansas City once. The hotel was near the Folgers factory. The whole center section of the city smelled like coffee. It was awesome!
    Awesome - I've been to Kansas City, but never knew (or smelled) that! I recall the BBQ, though....I have a wine glass around here somewhere with the Hereford House logo on it. Apparently the owner was charged with arson after it burned down in 2008.