Thread: Orangewood Guitars, Revisited

Orangewood Guitars, Revisited

I wasn't going to revive a zombie thread that had gone way off the rails anyway, so I'm starting this new thread in the Whammy Bar because more people read this section than the other guitars place...

First, I know this is a Fender forum, and most people here likely play electric Fenders, so this is a bit out of place, but we're all friends, right?

On another forum, I read several threads singing the praises of
    Orangewood guitars. In my earlier thread I mentioned them, so I thought I'd check them out again. Hmmm (I would say "Wow," but I don't know, yet). This past year I've found that I really like smaller guitars: They fit my small hands well, they travel well, and I haven't found any loss of sonic quality in the ones I've played.

Apparently, Orangewood has been doing a stellar business, as their web site shows many models currently out of stock. The guitars are wood, made in Indonesia, but every one gets a "professional" setup in California before shipping. By the way, shipping to the CONUS is free, and they have a return policy that is 100% money back (the exception being that if you attach the - included - pickguard, all bets are off). Now, here's the kicker: Their prices are drop-dead phenomenal. On top of that, they frequently run 10% and 20% off sales, making them very affordable. And that includes a quality (say $40 value) gig bag, too.

So, I'm thinking I might give one a spin. Their two "mini" guitars are the Oliver Jr. and the Dana. Both are available in mahogany! The Oliver Jr.:

The Dana:

I won't list the specs here. They are pretty similar (you can check them
    here). Now, get this: The Oliver Jr. lists for $195 and the Dana $125. Find a coupon and take at least 10% off. What's not to like?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Orangewood Guitars, Revisited

They look cool! What are the approximate sizes? I like the fact that they allow a nice reach from the 12th fret on, which, for instance, my Washburn parlor doesn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    They look cool! What are the approximate sizes? I like the fact that they allow a nice reach from the 12th fret on, which, for instance, my Washburn parlor doesn’t.

Model Oliver Jr Dana
    Overall Length 36 1/16” 36 1/4”
    Body Length 17” 17 1/8”
    Body Depth 3 5/8” 3 3/4”
    Upper Bout 10” 10 1/4”
    Middle Bout 8 11/16” 8 3/8”
    Lower Bout 14 3/16” 13 9/16”
    Both have C shaped necks and are 23 1/2" scale. Nut width is 43mm (1.69").
    Striving to be ordinary

wow, that's not a bad price even without coupons. How are they even making money?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    wow, that's not a bad price even without coupons. How are they even making money?
    I'm not in on their business model, but the two I showed are in their "mini" line. They have some higher-end guitars that tip the price scale at $995. Which is still far less than one would pay for a Martin, Taylor or such. I suspect that being made in Indonesia has something to do with the price.

Here's their Sage Toffefied Spruce Live model. Listing at $995. Electrification via L. R. Baggs, ebony fretboard, and HSC.

Striving to be ordinary

Just an added note: Out of curiosity I went to eBay to see if anyone was selling Orangewood guitars there. YES!

And every one of them is asking for more than Orangewood does on their own web site. I never would have thought it.
    Striving to be ordinary