Thread: Pacific Northwest '73-'74

Pacific Northwest '73-'74

Ok, y'all know my favorite Dead stuff is the early 70s gigs, but God damn, this is just TOO good. Lately I have been listening to this on and on. My latest favorite live Dead album!

Re: Pacific Northwest '73-'74

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Ok, y'all know my favorite Dead stuff is the early 70s gigs, but God damn, this is just TOO good. Lately I have been listening to this on and on. My latest favorite live Dead album!
    Digging it!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

That's a great vintage. After Europe The Dead were really polished and had the songs and vocals down pat. Owsley was coming into his groove with the sound too which has a lot to do with it too.

The Dead set the bar so high that perhaps no band will ever clear it.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    The Dead set the bar so high that perhaps no band will ever clear it.

Chuck
    I've thought about that a lot. When I was a kid, I wanted to basically write The Beatles songs again. But how could you ever top them? You can't; they're The Beatles, same true about The Stones, Jimi, and even David Hasselhof---because they do the best them ever.

So a band like The Dead is so original that any attempt to match "The Dead" of The Dead is going to end in a bit of disappointment. Anything you do. will be second best or even further down the list.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I've thought about that a lot. When I was a kid, I wanted to basically write The Beatles songs again. But how could you ever top them? You can't; they're The Beatles, same true about The Stones, Jimi, and even David Hasselhof---because they do the best them ever.

So a band like The Dead is so original that any attempt to match "The Dead" of The Dead is going to end in a bit of disappointment. Anything you do. will be second best or even further down the list.
    The only problem with the Dead is that sometimes you need to get yourself through and past the whole Deadhead culture before you can appreciate the music. The music is spectacular and you can hear the same song dozens of different ways. You'll hear an Americana traditional ballad seamless morph into jazz fusion, or a straight out blues fold into a beautiful, melodic pop song and then into a Bo Diddley beat. And the sound was always as close to perfect as you'll ever hear, whether in a hall, a stadium or outside at the base of the pyramids.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I'm new to liking the Grateful Dead's music. Always liked the guys in the band, but just didn't give them much attention until the last year or so. It's a lot of fun to discover stuff, but damn, you'd think Spotify would arrange the discography so that a novice like me can find what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I'm new to liking the Grateful Dead's music. Always liked the guys in the band, but just didn't give them much attention until the last year or so. It's a lot of fun to discover stuff, but damn, you'd think Spotify would arrange the discography so that a novice like me can find what I want.
    yeah, as grateful (heh heh, pun intended) as I am for Spotify, their album listing leaves a lot to be desired. When I go digging into a band's back catalog, I want chronological order of release. I like to follow progression especially when there are many albums. Random listing are not helpful and the injection of 'super-deluxe remix' 'regular-deluxe remix' 'deluxe remix' 'sub-par remix' ... ok, I'm getting silly but really, not by a whole lot. A lot of times I'm going to wiki to find the album listings and then I have to go back to Spotify and try to find the 'right' version of the album.

Especially when it's an album that I've had in the past. I grew up on vinyl, I listened to albums in their entirety. My ear expects to hear the songs in the same order. I would like the option to hear outtakes and unreleased materials, IF it were the case I wanted to listen to them. When the last song of an album plays, I expect it to stop, not give me a radio playlist based on that album selection.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"