Thread: External Speaker in ‘65 drri

Forum Member

External Speaker in ‘65 drri

Hello, I’m a newbie here and searched for this topic and didn’t notice one, so if there is a post already, sorry. I would like to use a Orange PPC112 (16 ohm) cabinet with a celestion v30 instead of the Jensen that came with the amp. The manual is very vague on this and google or Fender’s site isn’t much better. So, I came here. Can I keep the internal speaker plugged in and plug the 16 ohm Orange cabinet into the external jack? Again it’s 16 ohms. Or do I unplug the internal speaker and plug the Orange cabinet into the external jack? Confused...

thanks,

chuck

Re: External Speaker in ‘65 drri

Using both the internal and your external 16 ohm speaker results in a 5.33 ohm load on the amp since those outputs are wired in parallel. It's not clear if the amp can handle loads below 8 ohms. You don't want to find that out the hard way. And if you do run this combination, your internal speaker will get most of the volume in that particular combination and the external cab wouldn't be very effective.

You *should* be able to run only the 16 ohm external speaker by unplugging the internal speaker but I would VERY careful when powering up after disconnecting the internal speaker - making sure the internal speaker is reconnected. Otherwise, magic smoke if you start running the amp at full power and no load.

I used to own that amp. I can't think of a situation where I would have needed more speaker than the internal one. That thing can rip yer head off at full volume.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Using both the internal and your external 16 ohm speaker results in a 5.33 ohm load on the amp since those outputs are wired in parallel. It's not clear if the amp can handle loads below 8 ohms. You don't want to find that out the hard way. And if you do run this combination, your internal speaker will get most of the volume in that particular combination and the external cab wouldn't be very effective.

You *should* be able to run only the 16 ohm external speaker by unplugging the internal speaker but I would VERY careful when powering up after disconnecting the internal speaker - making sure the internal speaker is reconnected. Otherwise, magic smoke if you start running the amp at full power and no load.

I used to own that amp. I can't think of a situation where I would have needed more speaker than the internal one. That thing can rip yer head off at full volume.
    Thanks for your reply. That’s more info that actually makes sense than I could find. The main reason I want to use the Orange cabinet is I think the Jensen is a little “dark” (?). Anyway, the Celestion sounds better to me. I have another 16 ohm Orange cab and ran one into the internal jack and the other into the external and it sounded good, just doubly loud. In effect, I turned the ‘65 Drri into a 2 x 12 combo. I just wanted to see if there was a was to run the Orange cab by itself or along with the stock speaker. Maybe just replacing the stock speaker with an 8 ohm Celestion would be easier and less hassle.

should be ok

if you put a second 8 ohm speaker, the amp sees 4 ohms so 5.33 should be fine

I'm glad I saw this thread. I've been trying to find an 8 ohm 2x12 (preferably vertical) speaker cab to run with my Princeton Reverb. I like the sound of multiple speakers regardless of the volume. Now I know I can use a 16 ohm cab if I find one cheap enough (and the right size so the amp fits on top without overhang).
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

I decided to get a 12” Cannibus Rex rated at 8 ohms and 50 watts. Reviews are good and it seem like a bunch of people haves swapped the Jensen for this model