Thread: Jimmy Carter Rock n Roll President

Jimmy Carter Rock n Roll President

Just saw this and now I really wanna watch it. Have you watched it yet?

Re: Jimmy Carter Rock n Roll President

I plan to watch it soon. I remember the backing Carter had from rockers. Made sense in a world where the youth movement was making a last push and wanted a change from the Nixon / Ford era. I hope we can discuss this without getting into political divisions. It's an interesting history no matter our politics.

One thing that is interesting to me is that Greg Allman had a reputation as a hard drug user and alcoholic. And yet, hardly anyone commented on his visibility in supporting Carter and swinging his influence. I'm not trying to drag Greg A through the mud, big fan of his music. I'm just very interested in music's sociological place in America. I often asked students to name musicians, writers, actors, artists, directors, or other celebrities who's influenced them. The majority claimed that weren't touched by such influence. Their dress, the language and metaphors they used, even their "voices" could be traced to tropes of phrase and thought--all of these told a different story. I'm a little bit 18th century in believing that art and artists of all types have more power than is usually recognized.

Sorry, I'm nerding out this morning.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I plan to watch it soon. I remember the backing Carter had from rockers. Made sense in a world where the youth movement was making a last push and wanted a change from the Nixon / Ford era. I hope we can discuss this without getting into political divisions. It's an interesting history no matter our politics.

One thing that is interesting to me is that Greg Allman had a reputation as a hard drug user and alcoholic. And yet, hardly anyone commented on his visibility in supporting Carter and swinging his influence. I'm not trying to drag Greg A through the mud, big fan of his music. I'm just very interested in music's sociological place in America. I often asked students to name musicians, writers, actors, artists, directors, or other celebrities who's influenced them. The majority claimed that weren't touched by such influence. Their dress, the language and metaphors they used, even their "voices" could be traced to tropes of phrase and thought--all of these told a different story. I'm a little bit 18th century in believing that art and artists of all types have more power than is usually recognized.

Sorry, I'm nerding out this morning.
    Looks interesting, I'll give it a watch.

In the interests of nerding out, does the preponderance of left handed guitars in that poster signify anything - liminal or subliminal? ;-)

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post

In the interests of nerding out, does the preponderance of left handed guitars in that poster signify anything - liminal or subliminal? ;-)
    Exactly my thoughts. It must be printed from a reverse image
    Mark

I DVR'd it last night - plan to watch at some point this week.
    A friend of mine recommended it, all I saw, TBH was the title.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post

haha. I didn’t even see that.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Not interested.

I don't like mixing politics with music, and vice-versa.

Some political songs I'm okay with, but unless the video shows Jimmy Carter shredding a EVH Frankenstein, I'll pass.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Not interested.

I don't like mixing politics with music, and vice-versa.

Some political songs I'm okay with, but unless the video shows Jimmy Carter shredding a EVH Frankenstein, I'll pass.
    Have to agree with OldStrummer here. No interest in mixing politics and music. Neither do I give a rat's ass what some actor or athlete's opinion about politics are. Or anyone here. Plus, it was over 40 years ago. I realize history can repeat itself, but c'mon man, we're mostly aged adults here. Political opinions aside, we share a love of music. I would rather talk about what unites us, rather than what divides us.

Reversed pictures? I'd rather see Bill Clinton playing the saxophone. Not.

I don't think this movie has anything necessarily political in it. It's a documentary, you can watch it for the history and the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I don't think this movie has anything necessarily political in it. It's a documentary, you can watch it for the history and the music.
    I feel the same way but easy for us to say not being Americans! And 40+ years removed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I'd watch it if it were about Nixon, Reagan, Clinton, or any of them. It's a historical and cultural moment, and it's interesting to see how something influenced so many people.

I don't give a damn what a celebrity says about politics--except as a phenomenon of history. In this case, the impact was almost tactile. So hell yes, I'm going to watch it.