Thread: AA 1069 Super Reverb questions.

Forum Member

AA 1069 Super Reverb questions.

I am putting speakers in a AA1069 Super Reverb inside a homemade cabinet.
    it's more of a converted nightstand that someone put together before I inherited this project.

I have a pair of P10q and a pair of Electric Lightning 50watts. all 8 ohms.
    The current enclosure is not large enough for the suggested four 10" speakers.
    My question is could I use two 8 ohm speakers instead and wire them in parallel?
    Would the amp be happy with a 4 ohm load?

Before I got the proper Jensen's, I wired up a 2ohm load with two 4 ohm speakers that were not intended for guitar amps.
    One was a car speaker and one was a bookshelf speaker, it's what I had and worked out to 2 ohms.
    I plugged that load into the speaker jack and blew the car speaker within 15 minutes.
    Now the 6L6 tubes have scorch marks on the glass and I have not so much as plugged the thing in since.
    Does that mean that the tubes are no good?
    How do the standby and power switches work? The power has two settings, on and off.
    The standby has 3 positions, what are they?

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: AA 1069 Super Reverb questions.

That amp can handle a 2 ohm load. The stock 10” speakers were 8 ohms each wired in parallel, according to the Fender Field Guide anyways.

I don’t know if the tubes being scorched would have affected their performance but that’s an easy swap if there were problems. I’d be more concerned as to where the scorching came from. What happened when you blew the speaker? Did the speaker self destruct or something else?

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

As far as the Standby switch, the middle position is standby, the other 2 are on. The difference is a ground reversal between the 2.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    That amp can handle a 2 ohm load. The stock 10” speakers were 8 ohms each wired in parallel, according to the Fender Field Guide anyways.

I don’t know if the tubes being scorched would have affected their performance but that’s an easy swap if there were problems. I’d be more concerned as to where the scorching came from. What happened when you blew the speaker? Did the speaker self destruct or something else?
    Agree with dirtdog.

Does the amp have a 3 prong cord?

It needs to see a 2 ohm load.

A 4 ohm car speaker suggests a speaker not capable of handling 20 watts. What happened to the car speaker?

WTF does a standby switch have to do with speaker impedance?

Are you sure you haven't confused the ground switch with the standby switch?

Forum Member

The damaged speaker was a low excursion, low wattage(maybe 25 watt) 8 inch speaker. I bought 4 for 25$ on Craigslist because they were 4 ohm and I was broke . It was years ago but I think the voice coil popped. I don't think 2 of the 4 ohm speakers could handle the 45 watts so I got a more robust speaker, a 4 inch full range rated at something like 75 it 100 watts. It was brand new from crutchfield and it is still in tact.

Yes, it was dumb but I paid 75 for the amp originally, another 270 to have it serviced and I wanted to hear this kitty purr. I soldered the 4 speaker wires into a terminal with the 2 amp jack wires and metered at 2.0 ohms on the nose. I was too proud to be patient

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    Agree with dirtdog.

Does the amp have a 3 prong cord?

It needs to see a 2 ohm load.

A 4 ohm car speaker suggests a speaker not capable of handling 20 watts. What happened to the car speaker?

WTF does a standby switch have to do with speaker impedance?

Are you sure you haven't confused the ground switch with the standby switch?

The amp now has a 3 prong cord after a pro serviced it years back.
    The speaker made a slight pop and sounded even worse. No fire or anything.
    I did get the switches mixed up, you're right. The on/off is 2 position, standby is 2 position, and the ground is 3 position.
    Each switch is labelled but not what the positions do.
    It has nothing to do with speaker impedence but more to do with scorched tubes and more damage I don't want to cause.
    One thing I plan to do is note the positions ex. Up/on, down/off. Up/standby, down/full juice.

Forum Member

What happened when you blew the speaker? Did the speaker self destruct or something else?
    It just popped and got quieter and even less expressive than it was. No violent change but it clicked/popped like when plugging a jack in or engaging a noisy stomp box.

Apologies for the harsh reply. If your tech did his or her job properly, the ground switch doesn't do jack shit with a 3 prong power cable.
    I confused blackonblack replies with yours.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Yes As I did with others. As this seems to be something acquired after mods , may I recommend an amp tech to take a look at it. Hate to think the death cap is still in there. As I recall, some small portions of the AB 1069 had them.
    Mark

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Hate to think the death cap is still in there. As I recall, some small portions of the AB 1069 had them.

.....what is this....deathcap you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    .....what is this....deathcap you speak of?
    It will be a small ceramic disk capacitor, one lead connected to the center terminal of the ground switch, the other lead connected to chassis ground. If your tech did their job properly, they would have removed it when they installed the 3 prong cable. If they didn't, you may want to find a new tech. Takes 10 seconds maybe to clip it out.

Odd. The reply I posted above, was posted this morning, Jan. 7th, and not Jan. 6th. at 4:36pm.

Odd. The reply I posted above, was posted this morning, Jan. 7th, and not Jan. 6th. at 4:36pm.
    Dude, should have taken the blue pill. Now you've noticed the glitch in the matrix. Agent Smith is coming. Run or fight
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Dude, should have taken the blue pill. Now you've noticed the glitch in the matrix. Agent Smith is coming. Run or fight
    Agent Smith is definitely present. At least my posts still show up, most of the time, even if they're not correctly time coded.

I've seen posts that say a post didn't show up. Perhaps you don't think censorship occurs here?

Despite what happens here, it ain't a public forum, it's owned by someone, and they will control whatever does or doesn't get posted. Just like Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, et al, and should, because they have to try to limit their liability.

I mostly reply to technical questions here. Those replies are based on my opinion, not fact. It's impossible to recommend advice based solely on factual information, because there's always a question about how "factual" a post is.

So, you have scorched tubes. The car speaker "popping" could have resulted in a sudden change of speaker impedance at the output transformer. That would result in a sudden increase of voltage of the output voltage of the power tubes. That increase in voltage might result in "scorching"?

Now you have carbon traces in your tubes, and maybe the possibility your output transformer is bad.

Super Reverb output transformers are pretty beefy, I'd replace your output tubes,Find some adequate output speakers that don't overload the output of your amp, and go from there.

But that's just my opinion.

Is it possible to turn opinon to fact? Or vice versa? I don't think so. Nor do I think that we will ever find the difference here.

(Edited for punctuation)
    Last edited by vinyl; 01-09-2021 at 09:14 AM. Reason: punctuation

TFF Stage Crew

Agent Smith is definitely present. At least my posts still show up, most of the time, even if they're not correctly time coded.

I've seen posts that say a post didn't show up. Perhaps you don't think censorship occurs here?

Literally the only person I've seen at TFF who claimed a post didn't show up during the last five years was you, regarding your post wishing us a happy thanksgiving. If there are more, we'd sure like to know about it so we can fix the problem!

TFF, like everything on the web, is hosted on servers. Sometimes servers go down, and, if you post something right as that's happening, it may get stuck in a queue and not find its way to being posted until a bit later, or maybe is lost altogether? Again, not sure, because nobody else has mentioned it.

I have occasionally received complaints from members with time-stamp issues, only to find that they have their TFF control panel set to GMT or EST and not their actual time zone. I know you have yours set to EST, but, my only point here is that, again, nobody has complained to us about it yet.

I can assure that no post here is ever "shadow deleted." It serves no purpose. If there is a post that contains a rule violation we don't want a person to repeat, we call attention to it, rather than delete it with no explanation. I realize it's sexier to assume conspiracy theories abound, but, the only censorship that occurs in the current iteration of TFF happens on those extremely rare occasions when someone violates a rule.

Even (as recently occurred) when other members report a spam-bot posting in one of the forums, I will delete the post and ban the bot, but still leave some indication that I did it, so those members can see that their reports were noticed and acted upon.

If you continue to have time-stamp issues, or your posts are disappearing, please let us know so we can investigate further. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    Literally the only person I've seen at TFF who claimed a post didn't show up during the last five years was you, regarding your post wishing us a happy thanksgiving. If there are more, we'd sure like to know about it so we can fix the problem!

TFF, like everything on the web, is hosted on servers. Sometimes servers go down, and, if you post something right as that's happening, it may get stuck in a queue and not find its way to being posted until a bit later, or maybe is lost altogether? Again, not sure, because nobody else has mentioned it.

I have occasionally received complaints from members with time-stamp issues, only to find that they have their TFF control panel set to GMT or EST and not their actual time zone. I know you have yours set to EST, but, my only point here is that, again, nobody has complained to us about it yet.

I can assure that no post here is ever "shadow deleted." It serves no purpose. If there is a post that contains a rule violation we don't want a person to repeat, we call attention to it, rather than delete it with no explanation. I realize it's sexier to assume conspiracy theories abound, but, the only censorship that occurs in the current iteration of TFF happens on those extremely rare occasions when someone violates a rule.

Even (as recently occurred) when other members report a spam-bot posting in one of the forums, I will delete the post and ban the bot, but still leave some indication that I did it, so those members can see that their reports were noticed and acted upon.

If you continue to have time-stamp issues, or your posts are disappearing, please let us know so we can investigate further. Thanks!

Jeez, I wasn't complaining. Technology is a bitch sometimes. So are "cookies". So what if a time stamp is not correct?

Simply trying to answer the O.P.'s question about what a "death cap" is.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Well not to put too fine a point on the topic but the "death cap" was a .047/600V Blue Molded axial cap, never (AFAIK) a ceramic disc type.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post

Here's a post by Laker:
    Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Really weird...I wished you a Happy Thanksgiving and it was present for a bit and then disappeared.
    So I'm not the only one complaining that a post didn't show up.

Laker, I appreciate the Thanksgiving wishes. My warmest wishes to you also.

pc, I also hold no ill will to you.

I freely admit I got started on the wrong foot here, and I regret that. I wonder how long I will regret that.

This is a picture of my Bandmaster Reverb Chassis, apparently built the 38th week of 1969. So in other words, prior to 10/69.

Note the lack of any blue molded caps.

So, I may be incorrect about the type of capacitor connected to the center terminal of the ground switch. but rest assured, if it's still there, you have a problem.

Timelines can be confusing. Just like time stamps.

My preference? Trying to help someone that comes here seeking it.

TFF Stage Crew

Here's a post by Laker:

So I'm not the only one complaining that a post didn't show up.
    Correct. You've quoted that post from this thread:

https://www.thefenderforum.com/forum...y-Thanksgiving

Where YOU started the thread by inferring that "we" couldn't wish each other Happy Thanksgiving, which had no basis in reality. As I said, that was the only thread where I had seen someone complain about a missing post. I didn't mention Laker by name, but, yes, that was the one.

In this thread, you wrote, "Perhaps you don't think censorship occurs here?"

My response was to that comment, not your start at TFF, because that was a new shot at TFF that is 100% unfounded. I thoroughly appreciate the amazing and thoughtful help you offer people with amp questions, but, again, implying that there is some secret, post-cleansing censorship here is as hurtful as it is silly.