Thread: Simple Workbench.

Simple Workbench.

My son and I built this simple work bench. 3.5’ high. Top is 4.5 ‘ x 2.5. I’ll build a slotted shelf for the back and to hold parts and tools. Rough but functional.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Simple Workbench.

you can put carpet on that and it will be a great bench.

you will definitely want some kind of pad at the very least. I have one of Stew mac's bench pads. I need a neck rest of some kind, I got a neck caul which is ok for working on bolt necks when they're not on the body. But my Gibson and Epiphone with the set necks need something to support them to work on, or I have to hang the neck off the bench.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Nice! That’s a sweet little workshop space you have there.

it’s nice to have the natural light but consider some bench lighting. The new LED lights are the bomb!

Thanks, guys. I do plan on lights, LEDs for sure, and I have a bench pad and neck pad on the way. I'm also going to put something down on the carpet in case I go nuts with soldering.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Very nice.
    I have to get around to building something myself - neck rest especially - I have a shelf I currently use that works, but |I need something to stabilize the neck.
    |I do have some ideas about that though...
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

I have been schlepping around a large drafting table that we used to use when we had the plumbing business. It makes a great workbench. I have a Dunlop neck stand that works pretty well, too.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    Very nice.
    I have to get around to building something myself - neck rest especially - I have a shelf I currently use that works, but |I need something to stabilize the neck.
    |I do have some ideas about that though...
    My needs are simple. I'm not the tinkerer that many of you are, so I simply use a Music Nomad neck rest that doubles as a storage nook for small tools (string winder, truss rod wrench, etc.).

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Harbor Fright sells an excellent wood woodworkers bench. I have one in my office.

https://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-...nch-63395.html

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Harbor Fright sells an excellent wood woodworkers bench. I have one in my office.

https://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-...nch-63395.html
    I came so close to buying one of those, but I really wanted to have wheels so I could move it around. If I have a large enough space wherever else I end up living, I'll be looking at one of these again.

as it turned out, the 52" length of my bench was serendipitous for my room. I couldn't have planned it any better.

I cut mine specifically for that nook in my room. My recording / wotever desk is moved to the middle of the room and the monitors in a triangle of 4'x4'x4x. It's been hell trying to do repairs and maintenance on that desk taken up necessarily with gear and misc.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I cut mine specifically for that nook in my room. My recording / wotever desk is moved to the middle of the room and the monitors in a triangle of 4'x4'x4x. It's been hell trying to do repairs and maintenance on that desk taken up necessarily with gear and misc.
    I'm kind of running into the same thing. In order to do any work I need to move all my computer stuff. Tends to put a damper on getting stuff done expediently.