Thread: If You're a Southerner with Ties to Country Folks, then you'll know...

If You're a Southerner with Ties to Country Folks, then you'll know...

.... that you owe me a quarter when I say to you

CHRISTMAS EVE GIFT!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: If You're a Southerner with Ties to Country Folks, then you'll know...

I don't know if we have any unique christmas eve sayings here.

In my family, we have lasagna on Christmas eve. I think it started when my oldest sister was 12 and said "Why don't we have lasagna for Christmas Eve?" It is so different from the next day's meal(s) and helps to break up the monotony of the leftovers. And so it became a fine Irish tradition

my brother came home with a lasagna yesterday, we're going to have it tonight.

no garlic bread, though, because none of us can smell
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Man, you poor guys and your damaged sense of smell! Lasagna sounds pretty good to me.

My mother always said it to me, and every year, she'd get me until years later, we'd compete. I thought it was just something in her rural Wayne Country in south/middle Tennessee. Years later, I read Wm Faulkner's Sound and Fury which takes place really in Oxford, Mississippi. It was a nice little discovery.

I also minored in Irish literature as a grad student, and I used to find all these unique sayings and practices that must have traveled with my ancestors from Ireland.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

On the French-Canadian side of my family, there's reveillon on Christmas eve and sometimes involves what is essentially a travelling cocktail party, lots of tourtičre, tarte au sucre, pieds de cochon and lots of other delicacies! One year we even had a pińata - one of my cousins recently reminded me of that.

I don't know about any sayings, although I heard the word "tabarnac" a lot. ;-)

Just about lunchtime here - I could go for some lasagna right about now!

We usually celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve and my daughter's; birthday on Christmas Day. This year MrsJunkie and I are going to roast a Prime Rib and gorge ourselves on red meat! Staying solo, however. The kids will stop by this afternoon to trade gifts, but no big party.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    We usually celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve and my daughter's; birthday on Christmas Day. This year MrsJunkie and I are going to roast a Prime Rib and gorge ourselves on red meat! Staying solo, however. The kids will stop by this afternoon to trade gifts, but no big party.
    Excellent.

Another prime rib on the menu here. My father-in-law usually pulls out all the stops on Christmas Day dinner - turkey, goose, lamb and roast beast have made appearances over the years - but not this year. So I'm taking a stab at prime rib and Yorkshire pudding for just me and the family. I've done roasts before so I'm confident. Yorkshire pudding looks easy, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    .... that you owe me a quarter when I say to you

CHRISTMAS EVE GIFT!

The check is in the mail.

Prime Rib sounds good. Maybe one day, I'll get a chance to taste goose. I hear it's really hard to cook so it comes out tasty.

not as big a fan of prime rib as I am of a tenderloin. 2017 our home care lady cooked us a beef tenderloin for our christmas holiday dinner. She had never bought tenderloin before and called us in a panic.

"This hunk of meat cost 70 dollars, are you sure you want it?"

"yes, don't worry about it."

it was so damn good. We were going to have it again the next year but my mom had degraded to the point where we weren't able to care for her safely at the house anymore.

If we had bought the house we were looking at, I'd find a way to have that for dinner on Christmas but not this year. Hopefully next year.

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    The check is in the mail.

Prime Rib sounds good. Maybe one day, I'll get a chance to taste goose. I hear it's really hard to cook so it comes out tasty.
    Well, vinyl, I'm cooking roast, and if you were anywhere near me, I'd ask you to come on over or Christmas dinner. I wish you peace and happiness and good health this year./

And same to all of you. I appreciate you so much. Outside of family and one or two close friends, I'm fairly isolated, so you guys are important to whatever there is of my social life. It's a privilege to know you.

I'd post a pic of the interior but we got to chowing down and didn't think of it. It came out PERFECT!!!

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

mmm, meat

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I'd post a pic of the interior but we got to chowing down and didn't think of it. It came out PERFECT!!!

awesome! Mine looked about the same. It’s half gone now. The Yorkshire pudding didn’t turn out as expected. Wife told me I used the wrong pan. Should have used the cast iron Dutch oven instead of the ceramic baking dish. But it sure was good! Had a nice bottle of Aussie Shiraz to go along with it.