Thread: Okay, It's The Sunday Thread for 12/20/2020

Okay, It's The Sunday Thread for 12/20/2020

I guess it falls on me again -- it's late for me today, but it's a dirty job and someone has to do it!

We had our first "snow" of the season this week, and although it was a piddling amount, the cold temps have caused it to stay on the ground longer than I'd like. I say that, because I like to get out and walk around every day, and this makes navigating paths and walkways harder.

This is Christmas week, for those who celebrate it. I will likely be going to my daughter's despite admonitions to stay at home. They only live 22 miles from me, so I consider that "staying home." I've been working on some Christmas songs on the guitar, and so I hope to regale them with the spirit during our time together.

Otherwise, this will be a short week. I paused my home groceries subscription for the week because I want to a) watch my intake, and b) decrease my pantry. I'll still be doing my own cooking, but using my recipes, instead.

Since we won't have another Sunday thread until after Christmas, let me wish everyone a MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Okay, It's The Sunday Thread for 12/20/2020

Just starting to rouse for the day. It’ll be a quiet day here. Light snow falling, fire going in the fireplace. Fresh latte in my cup.

my guitarist has finally uploaded his video parts for the piece we’re working on. I’ll probably start cracking on making that video today while he works on the final audio mix. I’ve tried a number of video editing softwares but keep coming back around to Final Cut. So, I’ll probably stick with that.

We are going to be attending and hosting exactly zero gatherings this year - and I’ll be honest, it’s a relief for me. Too many not so great things going on in my life and I have no desire to either talk about or decline to talk about them with friends and family I have not already talked to. Hard pass, thanks.

But regardless, as Eddie Murphy says: “Merry New Year”.
    Last edited by dirtdog; 12-20-2020 at 09:21 AM.

Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to everybody.

I'll finish painting my music room today, maybe get started on my bedroom.

I couldn't resist the urge to jam the new G&L JB-5. Fantastic bass.

My son and I are extremely careful and mostly isolated in our respective places, so he and I will get together. My daughter doesn't, and so as a family, we've decided to Facetime her. I hate it, both kids hate it, but they know I am at high risk. Nevertheless, I am always excited about the holidays and all that goes into it. Up until now, I've given the kids money, but now, they each have good jobs, and so I've had fun picking out a few gifts for them.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

We had some snow this week! We ended up with around a foot, but it was deceptive. It was light enough to drift, so some parts of the yard were snow free and others had 2' drifts. They also kept saying it was a light fluffy snow, but it was more like lightweight cement. It took me a couple hours with the snowblower to get it all done. After this winter I think I might bite the bullet and arrange to have my driveway plowed. At 67 it's just not as easy as it once was. I sure don't want to end up a statistic. As far as Christmas goes, we are cancelling all our usual activities. With a vaccine in sight, it just seems like now is the time to double down on vigilance and not be careless. It sucks, but we'll do a big bash around Independence Day to celebrate everything! I wish you all a Merry Christmas, or whatever other celebrations you may participate in.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Merry Christmas! We violated all the protocols and our daughter is here from Portland, OR. She wouldn't deal well with Christmas alone. She tested negative before coming and we'll all be tested again. She took all precautions possible (bedsides staying home). We'll have a distanced visit with my mother and stepfather today.
    My nephew has tested positive and I can't go into his father's (my brother) opinion on all this without talking politics.

Unlike gibsonjunkie's snow, we got about 8" of dry, yet very dense snow. We didn't get a lot of wind until late in the storm so there weren't really any drifts. It was a bear to move where the street plow packed it at the end of the driveway. It was the heaviest dry snow I've seen. It reminded me of frosting.
    Last edited by Don; 12-20-2020 at 07:59 AM.

I noticed the same thing about the snow. For the cold temperatures we had before and during, the 11" or so we got was pretty darn weighty. It got packed pretty good by the wind at the end of the storm I think. Our apartment management has not done a very good job on the walkway by the door we prefer to use. Their solution? A yellow notice on the door "Conditions may be slippery". Yes, we know, why don't you get it shoveled out before it became a problem? CYA blather from lawyer talk if you ask me.

Merry Christmas. I brought the tree from the storage area. Hmm. Are artificial trees supposed to shed so many needles? It's as bad as a live tree. I salvaged the top half of our old house' tree, it was the last tree my dad bought IIANM. But we don't have a house and the thing is making a mess. I think it's going to the dump after little Christmas in January. I'll get a new tree in '21.

We will not be gathering this year. My brother is still dealing with a major cough from his Covid. He had lung scarring from pneumonia 25 years ago, his doctor had told him back then that he'll be at risk for the rest of his life from major colds. Nephew is coughing and sneezing, he's quite convinced he got infected as well.

Not much planned today. Put the lights on the tree. Not really feeling it, though. Could be the back ache I have, not really sure what caused that.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I'm just loading my stuff up to head out to play a little 3 - 6:00 Christmas duo with a friend of mine. He's a good musician with a nice little Bose PA system so it's not a lot of gear schlepping. I can use my little WTX500 amp and TC Electronic 210 cabinet so it's also a minimal setup for me.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas or a happy whatever holiday you celebrate.

Well, Merry Christmas in advance to everyone!

Quiet weekend here, spent some time with my old folks. Me and the old man went out for a walk to collect wild cacti. I got a nice, well developed Mandacaru specimen:

Had a tough week, I am really missing my road trips to practice and play live with my bandmates. This COVID situation sucks. the worst part is seeing other bands not giving a rat's tail about it, whilst knowing that though i'd give my right nut to do that as well, they're wrong.

Anyway, I got a handful of my own songs in progress and I'm hoping the guys will be able to sit down with me and put these songs together, so we can record them, and finally let go of the "cover band" stigma. Covering songs is cool, it's fun and all, but hey: I think when you spend enough time with a guitar or a microphone in your hands, you start being able to create something. That's the vibe I'm in.

Otherwise, still waiting for my spare Rickenbacker tailpiece to be delivered, and enjoying my 'newly wed man' status.

Sergio, once you've done covers long enough, you've played those kinds of gigs, and at least to me, it got old. I started hating the great songs I've covered in bands. The truly awful songs we played in my last cover band convinced me that I'll never join another cover band, though I'd jam covers once in a decade. I don't know what it's like in your area's music scene, but where I am, you've got to expect at first to play loowwwww profile gigs, and you've got to dig in hard to get recognition enough to move to get decent gigs. It depends on what you're looking for in the live arena. Pleasing an audience of two with one of my own songs is much more satisfying to me than it would be to play EVH's "Eruption" to 500 people at a plush gig.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

Since we won't have another Sunday thread until after Christmas, let me wish everyone a MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    Happy Christmas to everyone here. For some reason, I prefer the traditional British Christmas greeting. Maybe I'm sick of "merry".

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Sergio, once you've done covers long enough, you've played those kinds of gigs, and at least to me, it got old. I started hating the great songs I've covered in bands. The truly awful songs we played in my last cover band convinced me that I'll never join another cover band, though I'd jam covers once in a decade. I don't know what it's like in your area's music scene, but where I am, you've got to expect at first to play loowwwww profile gigs, and you've got to dig in hard to get recognition enough to move to get decent gigs. It depends on what you're looking for in the live arena. Pleasing an audience of two with one of my own songs is much more satisfying to me than it would be to play EVH's "Eruption" to 500 people at a plush gig.
    The paradox. You can get sick of playing any song. If you're trying to make money, then you have to play songs that most people want to hear. Throw Covid 19 in to the mix. Get people to actually show up.

Same thing with photography. If you want to make money, you have to do weddings. You have to deal with mothers of the bride. Or the bride. Until you can make that "leap" to the next level, you need a day job.

How sick of playing "Cocaine", or "Sunshine of Your Love" is Eric Clapton after all these years? Does he do it to make money, until he doesn't need to make money. Or does he play it because he loves it?

Apparently, Bob Dylan recently sold his song catalog. Did he do it for love or money? Or does it mean you can love something until the money becomes too much to overcome? Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to leave my heirs in the best position to inherent what I want to leave them. Do I want to do that because I love them? Or am I just trying to screw the government?

I'm not a big fan of the government, right now.