Thread: Macca's New Album: III

Macca's New Album: III

Released today, Paul McCartney's newest album. Here's a tease.

Macca fans rejoice!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Macca's New Album: III

I probably won’t buy it since I’m not a fan, but I did see a trailer for a film with Macca and Rick Rubin. That looks compelling. I’ve never been a great fan of any of the Beatles music and/or their solo stuff BUT I am kind of obsessed with their recording innovations and in-studio work. So maybe that makes me a George Martin fan? I dunno. The best Beatles book to me was Lewisohn’s book: the Complete Beatles Recording Sessions.

Y'all know I'm a big Beatle fan and probably wouldn't have played bass and guitar if it hadn't been for them.

But I think I'm a fairly realistic fan, at least compared to the folks who think The Beatles were the Olympian Gods of Music and can do no wrong. Albums that I thought were great in the 70s were universally panned and have since been recognized for their virtues--McCartney (1970), Ram (71), and London Town (78). But I wouldn't give you a dime for McCartney II or his album of standards.

McCartney III has a few songs as strong as anything he's written. Others needed studio development. Some use the most cliché licks and melodies. And some make me smile like a fool. It's fun to hear the album, and I can't make a final pronouncement on it yet.

I hated Venus and Mars, Back to the Egg, and others that turned out to be among my favorites. For some reason, it always takes time for his albums, Mark Knopfler's, and Steely Dan's, a few listens before I hear what's great about them.

BTW

Ringo has out a new song written by Dianne Warrem and a host of great players and singers who join him. It's a great song for the holiday season. If this were by someone younger, it might be a hit, and it's not what I would listen to. And yet, I kinda hope people who do like that kind of stuff will like Ringo's song. I think he's pretty incredible for still being so happy to work. He and McCartney could each buy a luxurious tropical island and enjoy the sunrises and sunsets until they die. But hell no! Rock and frickin' Roll!!!!!!
    Last edited by ch willie; 12-19-2020 at 01:22 PM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Y'know, I haven't been the biggest Paul fan since... forever, I guess. A Beatles fan, yes. A George fan, yes. John and Paul separately give credence to the idea of the sum being greater than the parts. Still, I listened to this song, and I think had it not been for the video, probably would have given it a "Meh."

But this too, seems to be a sum greater than its parts. Not only do we see Sir Paul playing every instrument (some even right-handed! ) but there is some quality production work, too. The outro shows some creativity with the dials, as well as on the playing. Even at 78, he's still got a knack for putting all the pieces together!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

By now, I've listened to it many times, listened to the lyrics, the musicianship and arrangements. It is one of the best albums as an album since Flowers in the Dirt. He's sprinkled some really great tracks on his albums in the 2000s, but this is his most consistent album in a long time. The first "single" is my least favorite track on the album. McCartney and whoever have a knack for picking THE song on the album sure to drive most people away. Even it has grown on me.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I liked this video, and I will start learning these guitar parts today. By the way, I would be interested to know if you know any good services for advertising your music? I already have an album ready, but I would like someone to help me present it to the public correctly. I'm good at music, but I don't understand anything about advertising. My sister advised me to seek help from the amw service, and I would be interested if you have heard anything about it. It's just that so far, I don't have time to do it on my own, and I don't want to postpone the release of the album either. I will be glad of any advice and ideas
    Last edited by drexelhub; 02-10-2022 at 05:02 AM.

Whoa, a fresh McCartney album? I didn’t know that. Thanks for posting!!! Will check it out right away on Apple Music!

Edit: lol just realized it’s an old thread

McCartney released two albums

III--again, great.

and then

III Imagined--artists such as Beck, St. Vincent, and even Idris Elba either remix a track from III or sample Macca while totally rearranging the song. This is great fun. Gives you an even better idea about how good these songs really are.