Thread: Best source of replacement bodies?

Forum Member

Best source of replacement bodies?

I've got what turns out, after investigation, to be a '96 MIM Squier Series Strat. From what I can gather, those were built in Enseneda using US-made necks and bodies, with import electronics and hardware of varying quality. That's true of mine; when I got it about 15 years ago as part of a trade, the electronics were scratchy and bleh-sounding, so I dropped in a loaded Carvin pickguard and called it good. Haven't touched it otherwise since, because it's got a great neck, vintage-style tuners that work, and a bridge that I can't complain about. But ... I've always thought that it was really, really light, and lacked presence, for want of a better word, and that makes since because the body is most likely basswood or poplar. So - I'm thinking about changing out the body for a more-appropriate alder or swamp ash, which I'd get unfinished so that I can finish it natural with tung oil or the like. Fender-licensed Allparts bodies can be had for $200+, and as I'm sure some of you know, you can find "Strat" bodies on other sites for $50 or $60. Who's bought a body, who sold it to you, and how did it work out? Thanks.

Re: Best source of replacement bodies?

Warmoth makes nice bodies with lots of options.

But I have to caution you on changing the body and expecting a big change in tone. The responsiveness or "liveliness" of the string may change, but the sound that comes out of the amplifier probably won't, at least not much. Basswood and poplar are perfectly good woods to make a Strat from.

Re: Best source of replacement bodies?

+1 on Gravity Jim's comments.

"Tonewoods" make a difference in acoustic guitars, due to the sound moving through the body and out the sound hole. But, as Les Paul demonstrated, all you need to make an electric guitar is a piece of 2x4, a neck and one (or more) pickups.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!