Thread: Boots, cowboy boots, hats, and gear thread

Boots, cowboy boots, hats, and gear thread

Sergio got his boots and they’re sharp so we need this thread.

Mine: Left-handed Ariat over pants leg boots. John B Stetson white hat.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Boots, cowboy boots, hats, and gear thread

Those are superb!

I bought cowboy boots to wear on stage when playing gigs at bikers' clubhouses, I like the style, they go well with my Levi's and Wrangler boot cut jeans... Mine are a cheap harness model from a local brand called "Cow Way". They're made of real leather, though the soles are composite leather/rubber. I only wish they had walking heels, which are lower, they have 2 inch riding heels.

The missus took this pic while I was wearing them a bit to break them in.

That's a super cool photo if only because I've never seen anyone with even a hint of western gear playing a Ric. It'd be pretty cool to see Brad Paisley or Vince Gill on a Ric.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Indeed. But there are some cool cats like Mike Campbell that sure know how to look classically cool while holding a Rick!

BTW he fancies the 600 series too

I’ve been a wearer of boots for many years. My last pair were a Christmas gift from my wife, a pair of T.O. Stanley kangaroo leather boots that look like these that were made for me and autographed by T.O.

On the bike I’ve been wearing Wesco (West Coast Shoe Company) Boss model boots for many years. Like the TO boots, they are custom made to my measurements and are absolutely bulletproof when it comes to great motorcycle boots. I believe I’ve been owning/wearing these boots through the ownership of at least six Ultra Classic Harley motorcycles covering 25 years of touring. The boots have been rebuilt twice by Wesco. Oh yeah, my Boss boots are 14” tall and my wife wears a pair we had built for her that are 16” tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I’ve been a wearer of boots for many years. My last pair were a Christmas gift from my wife, a pair of T.O. Stanley kangaroo leather boots that look like these that were made for me and autographed by T.O.

I think it doesn't get cooler than that, Rob!

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I think it doesn't get cooler than that, Rob!
    Sergio, what is really neat is my wife and I were in Nashville in 1983 where we stopped in a Loretta Lynn boot store to buy her a pair of boots. After trying on several pairs she purchased a pair of T.O. Stanley kangaroo leather boots that she has always said “fit her like bedroom slippers”.

With the gift she gave me a couple of years ago we now have his and hers kangaroo T.O. Stanley boots.

Forum Member

I've worn "Tony Lama" boots all my life. My current pair have been full soled and heeled, but still look OK, (and feel great!)
    When I worked for the power company, Mr Justin was on the board of directors. They happened to come by our division, and toured my shop. I had attended a funeral that morning, and had my suit and boots in the office. Mr Justin noticed my Tony Lamas, (which were fairly new at the time). I told him I had never tried Justin boots, a few weeks later I got a gift certificate for a pair in the mail! I gave the certificate to my father in law.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

No pics, but 3 pairs of Dan Posts in a dress style. Also have some Justin Ropers. Hat is an Outback Trading oilskin. The ropers and oilskin I got recently for when I shoot Cowboy Action Shooting.
    Mark

I don't do the boot thing anymore. Twenty-five or thirty years ago, I bought a pair of snakeskin Nacona boots from an "authentic" store in Albuquerque, New Mexico. They actually looked and felt great, but they were pointy-toed boots, and after I started running, my feet objected to being shoved into tight quarters. Plus, I started to develop bunions, and boots like that just don't work. Ouch!

These days, any boots I wear are either hiking (Merrell, Vasque, L. L. Bean) or snow-shoveling boots.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I gotta say I started to itch for a real handmade pair of boots that will last a lifetime.

There's a maker here that does a great job.

Now, just a little poll: Which color do you guys like best? Black or Brown?

I'm partial to brown boots. My dad, and all the cowboys and -girls I knew wore brown boots. City people wore black boots, most of them more interested in motorcycles or that culture, a few of them thinking that black anything made them look tough.

Black boots are cool. I wouldn't mind have a pair of square toed ones.

black shoes, brown boots
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I've worn "Tony Lama" boots all my life. My current pair have been full soled and heeled, but still look OK, (and feel great!)
    When I worked for the power company, Mr Justin was on the board of directors. They happened to come by our division, and toured my shop. I had attended a funeral that morning, and had my suit and boots in the office. Mr Justin noticed my Tony Lamas, (which were fairly new at the time). I told him I had never tried Justin boots, a few weeks later I got a gift certificate for a pair in the mail! I gave the certificate to my father in law.
    I wore Justin Lizard boots for many years, but haven't purchased any for quite a while. Along the way my wife also purchased a pair of Tony Lama ostrich boots that I often wear.

I have both, black and brown boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I wore Justin Lizard boots for many years, but haven't purchased any for quite a while. Along the way my wife also purchased a pair of Tony Lama ostrich boots that I often wear.
    Tony Lama makes some fine boots. I love ostrich boots. My dad had some eel boots once, and they were sharper than a hound's tooth. Little guy wore size 8; couldn't fit my size 13s in those things, and I wanted to wear them!

Forum Member

Before the war my father in law was working as a cowboy at Antelope Wells. He had lasts at Tony Lama, (in El Paso), and when on a trip there asked them to make him some boots. His boss picked them up a few weeks later, and he thought they didn't look right. After a week, a sole started coming loose, and it seemed the leather was stretching, they were falling apart. He taped them together, and when he got back to El Paso, he went to see Tony, and chewed him out for making such a worthless pair of boots. Tony looked at them, and said "those aren't working boots, they're dancing boots, they won't hold up for cowboys". He told him to come by in the morning, and he had another pair for him. He wore those for years after he came home from the war!
    He said he bought the best and worst pair of boots he ever owned from Tony Lama!

That's a great story, Bill. Absolutely cool.

Yeah! Great story, Bill Moore.

I'm a boot guy but not much of a cowboy boot wearer here. They just exhaust my feet. Can't deal with the heel. Had a decent pair (can't remember the brand) back in the 80s when the urban cowboy thing was hot and I did have a pair of steel toes Kodiak work boots that were cowboy style. I'll admit, those were comfy but i was driving a forklift 90% of the time back then.

I scooped up a pair of Boulet ankle boots years back, wore them on stage a few times when I was in a rockabilly band but, man, not comfortable for me - or as comfortable as my Blundstones anyways. Definitely not a cowboy - but sure as shootin', they ARE "goin' to town" boots!

I got a pair of Frye boots once in New Hampshire. They looked really cool so I decided to wear them right out of the box while marching in a parade for three miles. My feet were SORE!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

In general, my foot wear of choice is a pair of Vans- the ones with cushioned insoles.

I wore cowboy boots through high school. We had ponies and horses throughout my childhood. My sister showed a couple of appaloosas. I'd go to the shows to chase girls. I bought a couple of pairs at the tack shop. The toes were fairly pointed, decorated shaft, moderately scalloped on top, cowboy heel... I don't recall what brand they were. They were good, moderately priced boots.

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I got a pair of Frye boots once in New Hampshire. They looked really cool so I decided to wear them right out of the box while marching in a parade for three miles. My feet were SORE!
    I'm surprised they weren't bloody! We'd wear new boots while lounging around the the house before using them.

I don't wear hats unless it's really cold outside.

I wear hats probably 90% of the time I'm outside. Only during the summer on evenings when it is absolutely not going to rain do I forego wearing a chapeau. So that's probably more like I wear a hat 95% of the time I'm outside
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I wear hats probably 90% of the time I'm outside. Only during the summer on evenings when it is absolutely not going to rain do I forego wearing a chapeau. So that's probably more like I wear a hat 95% of the time I'm outside
    Now hats, that's something I can talk about!

A few years ago, I went to a dermatologist because I had a hard "blemish" on one of my ears. My dad once had a melanoma removed from his ear. He was an inveterate golfer, and rarely wore a hat on the course, and when he did, it was the baseball kind, with just a bill. His doctor recommended him hats with a brim to help keep the sun off his ears. So, I started wearing a hat, and when I went to the dermatologist, not only did he tell me he liked the hat, but when I asked him about wearing one, he absolutely encouraged it! So now I tell people I wear a hat on doctor's orders.

Truth be told, I like the benefits of wearing a hat. You get a sun shade, your hair stays put if it's breezy (I have very thin hair), and it actually helps keep your head warm. Get one made of straw or palm, and you've then got an airy, summer topper.

I'm old enough now that I don't care if I get looks because I'm wearing a hat.
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post

I was offered a pair of black Tony Lamas, but I don't know if they'd fit. Do they run loose or true to size? The size I was offered was 9, but I'm a 8. It Lamas are true to size, one size larger would actually be comfortable.

Forum Member

I've always had my foot measured, I think the width is pretty important as to the fit. A friend's brother sold me the last 2 pair I bought, and I wore them home, (about 300 mi), felt good!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Figured I’d chime in. 3 pairs of dress boots. All Dan Post. Black, Brown and burgundy.
    As I participate in SASS, also have a pair of brown roper style boots.
    Have an oil skin hat as well as a palm hat. (Oil skin is much too hot in FL during summer)

PS: my SASS alias is Cottonmouth Mark
    Mark

Just got my Tony Lamas broken in. Wore them daily, non stop. These are really great. I was lucky with the size (they only got one pair left), 8,5 fits just fine.

Man, these Tony Lamas are getting as comfortable as sneakers. It’s getting kinda hard to take them off...

This is the Vaquero model.

Thread up.

I am thinking of buying a new hat. Mine is already falling apart.

Now I got two pairs of boots, a brown pair of dingos and a black pair of Tony Lamas. I’m wondering what color should the hat be in order to match both

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I’m wondering what color should the hat be in order to match both
    I always thought that black looked too intense and white too goody-goody so I settled on medium-dark brown.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Why just one hat? I have several, and coordinate wearing them according to the rest of my wardrobe.
    Striving to be ordinary

When I left my job before the semester ended, I walked out in my Ariats, Stetson, and with a rolled cigarette �� that I lit for the effect. Apparently that’s grown into a myth larger than my belly.
    This cowpoke taught 30 years and didn’t like an inexperienced greenhorn telling me how to teach. I said adios to my good colleagues. I didn’t kiss the girls cos that would have been beyond creepy and illegal. Btw, haven’t smoked since February 3rd.

Thirty years?

The pension should be quite comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Thirty years?

The pension should be quite comfortable.
    10 of it was abroad, which I’ll get at age 65-67, and the last 15 saw a set of intermittent but substantial reversals of fortune. That’s life. So ow I work retail and find joy in it if no glory.

My various annuities from the military, the VA, Social Security, and personal investment vehicles are ample enough to keep me out of the Salvation Army soup kitchen. In fact my retirement income is nearly as much as when I was on active duty in the Air Force.

Living well is the best revenge!

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    My various annuities from the military, the VA, Social Security, and personal investment vehicles are ample enough to keep me out of the Salvation Army soup kitchen. In fact my retirement income is nearly as much as when I was on active duty in the Air Force.

Living well is the best revenge!

I glad you’ve got it going on there. I don’t mind working so much. I know it’s better for my mental health. A safety net would be great though.