Thread: The "We Made It Through Another Week" Sunday Thread for 2020-12-13

The "We Made It Through Another Week" Sunday Thread for 2020-12-13

I woke up at 6:15 this morning, which isn't early for me, but the winter dark is upon us, and I felt like I should stay in bed a bit longer. Alas, once I open my eyes, I'm awake, so after brewing some coffee and putting a pot of pork shoulder and sauerkraut on the stove to simmer away, here I am starting another Sunday thread.

My best wishes and prayers go out to our members here who are ailing, or otherwise suffering, be it from SAD, COVID, or something else. Crossing my fingers, I have remained healthy throughout. A recent article describing the benefits of Vitamin D (I read that the English National Health Service will be giving out free doses as a means of bolstering resistance to COVID) makes me think the 5,000 IU I take every day may have contributed.

I also seem to have put my GAS into remission. Between my Taylor GS Mini and new Gretsch G9500, I am picking and strumming gleefully away. I haven't plugged into an amp in quite a while, and currently feel no compulsion to do so. Things change, so we'll see...

My pre-awakening dream has me heading over to my vinyl collections, where I think I'll listen to some "oldies not moldies." I'll post separately in the "What Are You Listening To" thread for that, later.

Wishing everyone a good Sunday, and speedy recovery to those afflicted by one crud or the other.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The "We Made It Through Another Week" Sunday Thread for 2020-12-13

Good morning all. I got up an hour earlier and thought I'd beat OS to the Sunday thread, but no dice! I also give best wishes for health and some mental sanity for all of you this week. I'm getting the Christmas lights up today and work on making room for MrsJunkie's Subaru in the garage. Snow expected this week - weather pukes are blowing up the airwaves about a "big one"... we'll see. One more week of work and then two weeks off. I have say more vacation days saved up than I can keep. Because of COVID they temproarily suspended the 30 day max, but now I have 40 (qwith 11 more to be added by June 30 and the max returns that day... so - more vacation time between now and then. Have a great week everyone.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Starting with my music room, I have to paint baseboards and walls today. I work slowly, might take me a month or longer to do the whole house. My first job at 14 was half-painting, half mowing at an apartment complex. Knowing how long it's going to take puts a pall over my days.

I am exactly like Tom Sawyer, and if you guys want to trade me an apple with only one bite out of it, 12 marbles, a dog collar but without a dog, a couple of tadpoles, or a one-eyed kitten--trade me one of these, and I'll let you paint.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

“Made it through another week”
    - just barely!

Been working on my Moms condo for the last several weeks. It’s coming along well although lots of work. Carpet install on Tuesday, a quick spic and span and then listing it shortly thereafter. Funny enough Willie, I was painting baseboards yesterday! I painted for a living for a few summers when I was in school (rental condos) and to this day I hate anything to do with painting. Quotes we got for the painting job were pushing $10K. No freaking way. I’ll do it myself and only spend $1K on materials and supplies. Glad it’s done!!!

got my lymphoma staging results on Friday am: stage III. Oh boy! Six months of chemo in my near future. Not scared, I can handle it. Strong likelihood of a positive outcome.

MUST continue work on my video recording stuff today- given that it’s crap weather outside today, that’s a good a reason as any.

have a good one lads!

Hey dirtdog--DAMN BASEBOARDS.

I wish you great results with your treatments. You seem to have a positive attitude, and although I know there might be moments of doubt and fear, your attitude will keep you strong mentally, and this will help your body to heal easier. Let us know if we can do anything for you, and if you just want to blow off steam, I'm sure any of us would be happy to listen and say, "Thar she blows!"
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Well, we made it through another week on the sunny side of the lawn, but I found that a good friend that I hadn't seen for a couple of years had passed away this week. He will be missed.

Yesterday I had the snow shovel in my hands for the first time since the spring of this year and it actually felt good to be outside doing something. I'm really getting stir-crazy with this Covid lockdown stuff. Hope all have a great Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Hey dirtdog--DAMN BASEBOARDS.

I wish you great results with your treatments. You seem to have a positive attitude, and although I know there might be moments of doubt and fear, your attitude will keep you strong mentally, and this will help your body to heal easier. Let us know if we can do anything for you, and if you just want to blow off steam, I'm sure any of us would be happy to listen and say, "Thar she blows!"
    Thanks willie! Yeah, just blowing off steam right now. I've got a good support network but it's always nice to have other outlets like this one! The things I'm not looking forward to are the nausea and weakness, but even that is manageable. I have no problems with napping! Isolating and hair loss I can handle as well (although I've grown my hair out long since last Feb, but it's been down to the wood for the better part of the last 25 years). Work is supportive, been working from home since March and that's going to stay like that for another year at least anyways. No stress there. Got my man cave more or less good to go when the hammer comes down. Transferred power of attorney for my Mom to my younger brother and most of the support issues for my Mom have been put in place. It's a waiting game now.

Anyways, enough of a downer for today. Onwards! Got some guitar playing to do today! And walking my daughter through her university applications. She wants to study psychology or history at either the university I graduated from or the one my wife graduated from. All good choices as far as I'm concerned.

It was her 17th birthday yesterday. She was really bummed out earlier in the day since she couldn't get together with her friends. My wife and I totally did it up for her. Chips, pizza, prosecco. ABBA playing on the turntable during cocktails and dinner. We all dressed up! Custom ordered cake for dessert and candles. Friends and family Zoomed in for a few minutes. Lots of great presents. And to top it off - we all watched Mamma Mia 2, the second of her favourite films. She was in a stage production of the original Mamma Mia last year (she played the Tanya character), so it's in her blood! She went to bed in a much better mood than she was earlier in the day.

dirtdog. You'd be a good father to watch Mama Mia with her, but to watch Mama Mia 2 with her? That sacrifice makes you equal to Joan of Arc, Hank Hank Aaron's team-helping bunt just when he could have homered for #715, Gandhi when he could have had Sprite but chose tap water.

Yay, made it to another Sunday. I'm feeling better but still can't smell a thing. Nada. My brother ended up testing positive after all but oddly enough, my nephew did not. Bro has the cough much worse than I had it. I coughed the first 36 hours and that was it. Yesterday was pretty bad but he sounds a lot better today. My quarantine ended Friday and I'm cleared to go out again. But frankly, if I can't smell anything I see no point in going to a restaurant and paying $$. For that matter, I don't even want to think about a beer. If I can't smell it or taste it properly the last thing I want to do is ruin it for me. The silver lining will be saving money.

I still haven't gone to the storage unit yet to get my tree. I was going to get it yesterday but it rained all day. It's raining now but supposed to stop soon. Apparently it is very foggy out there.

I went to the grocery store yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks. It felt good to be out of the house.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    dirtdog. You'd be a good father to watch Mama Mia with her, but to watch Mama Mia 2 with her? That sacrifice makes you equal to Joan of Arc, Hank Hank Aaron's team-helping bunt just when he could have homered for #715, Gandhi when he could have had Sprite but chose tap water.
    Haha - well, it was all for a good cause!

When she performed in Mamma Mia, I literally had just gotten off a flight back from Singapore and was severely jet lagged and cranky. And then crammed into smallish theatre seats for a couple of hours. Last night was better; I was stretched out in my "I Give Up Pants" (tm) and had a couple of Gin and Tonics on the go.

And then I was like "Andy Garcia, wot?!?", then "The Dos Equiis/Most Interesting Man?!?!?" and then "Cher?!?!?!?!?". As if Stellen Skarsgard, Peirce Brosnan and Meryl Streep weren't enough....during the closing scene I was thinking - there's a whole lot of big paycheques on that stage. Then the credits showed it was Tom Hanks as the Exec Producer. Huh.

I kinda dig ABBA so it wasn't too much of a chore. Wife and daughter sang all the way through. Good times! And that's my life as the sole male in my household.

Man, I love ABBA. Great songs, incredibly well played, wonderful arrangements, eye candy singers who rarely harmonize but seem even more attractive for singing the same melody. What's not to love. I wish they'd been big at a time when people dressed less gaudily, but I'll be damned if "Waterloo" doesn't make me forgive polyester and puffy hair.