Thread: 93 AmStd Neck, Player Strat Body On the Way

93 AmStd Neck, Player Strat Body On the Way

93 AmStd Neck, Player Strat Body. This is a neck my best friend gave me in 2003. The first owner was a Bozo who tried to “age it” with oil. Still. I’m putting it on a black Player body, black pickguard.

Here’s the neck. Body is on its way.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: 93 AmStd Neck, Player Strat Body On the Way

Talk about a COOL partscaster!

What are you planning concerning pickups and wiring?? BTW I'd throw in a pearloid pickguard instead, get a big block trem and load it with Texas Specials or some hotter Seymour Duncan single coils. But anything will be fine!

Yikes that neck looks weird, if it was mine I'd do the old Kiwi Brown shoe polish trick on it to give it a vintage tint to cover some of that.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Talk about a COOL partscaster!

What are you planning concerning pickups and wiring?? BTW I'd throw in a pearloid pickguard instead, get a big block trem and load it with Texas Specials or some hotter Seymour Duncan single coils. But anything will be fine!
    So, a right handed neck with a nut fitted for left handed stringing. The pictures suggest that.

I have to agree with Sergio, in terms of pickups and wiring.

Color of body and pickguard are entirely up to you. Also color of pickup covers. After all it's your guitar. Trem is your choice too.

Don't particularly care for the "wear" on the neck. I don't think that's how wear occurs on a nitrose cellular neck.

It's your guitar. build it how you want it.

Oh, I know the necks faults, but it's the sentimental value of it, and I'll enjoy it. I'm going to listen to the original pups and see what I think. I'm not a fan of Texas Specials. I'm thinking of a Duncan set, SS-5s, definitely going holtter. Still need to read up on these, watch some videos.. I am not a fan of pearloid pickguards. I've ordered a gloss black one, and I'll see how I like it. I like a regular white pickguard on black too. I can change them up when I feel like it. I guess the f'd up neck and fretboard is part of it story.

Chuck, I might do a rub of Kiwi on it in a small patch you can't see when the neck's attached. It's definitely not a glossy neck.

I've got an excellent tech who'll make it lefty friendly--new nut, side dots.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I watched youtube vids comparing pups. I like Duncans and recently put some Quarter Pound-ers in my Tele. I gave the SSL-5 set a few listens and ordered a set for the Strat. Yes, I'm a huge Gilmour fan, and I got interested in the pups because they are "close" to his later Black Strat sound. But I wouldn't have been interested in the set if it was a one-trick pony. My "Brownie" has 57/62s; I wanted something ballsier for my other Strat. The Duncans sound full, almost tactile.

I got the Player body today. Man, it's a good piece of wood. I put the neck up to it to see how I like it, and I'm cool with it. I wish the neck hadn't been stained. It's got a vibe though. I'll have to see where I go with it.

I decided that on the black body, I'm going to put my clean 2008 AmStd neck. The sunburst actually looks pretty cool with the old neck.

I'm finding myself GASsing for a black stratocaster. I should see if my buddy still has his '80s Strat Plus in black. The neck on it had bowed like something out of Hunger Games last time I saw it. I've got strat necks hanging around although I want maple. Can't believe that I've actually come that far since my utter apathy towards them for so many years.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I'm finding myself GASsing for a black stratocaster. I should see if my buddy still has his '80s Strat Plus in black. The neck on it had bowed like something out of Hunger Games last time I saw it. I've got strat necks hanging around although I want maple. Can't believe that I've actually come that far since my utter apathy towards them for so many years.
    My first Strat, a copy, was black with a maple fb. I love em with rosewood too, but I like maple fb's on Fenders generally.