Thread: Latest Vinyl Purchases?

Latest Vinyl Purchases?

At one point, I owned over 1000 lps and about the same number of 45s. Moving around the country and out of the country and back--I had to lighten the load, and after all, I'd replaced the important ones with CDs.. I still have maybe 300 LPs and 200 45s, and I pull them out to play them occasionally. I've really been in no hurry to buy LPs. I've bought special edition Pink Floyd and Beatles releases. Other than that, the prices of vinyl put me off.

Having said that, I've ordered McCartney III on vinyl, and it'll be here around the middle of the month.

Have you guys been buying new vinyl? If so, what are you buying?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Latest Vinyl Purchases?

I didn't purchase this but it was just added to my vinyl collection recently.
    This was recorded by the first band I played bass in. They had moved to California in 1963 and I was still in high school so didn't make the move with them.

Last edited by Laker; 12-07-2020 at 10:33 AM.

I last got 'new' vinyl from a member of the Plexi Palace (so that dates it a while ago, right there) His dad had passed away and left a considerable LP collection. Man, I think he and I would have been great friends, he had great taste. I picked up several Grand Funk albums, Beatles White Album, Yes CTTE and Pink Floyd's Animals.

I would have easily and gladly taken dozens more. My ancient Philips turntable although it has a new needle installed just before I stopped using it, probably needs a new belt after sitting idle for 30 years.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

We bought a turntable and were handed down some LPs last year (in laws clearing out the basement) - including some LPs from when my wife was a teenager! Got my daughter a gift certificate from the local vinyl shop. She browsed but didn’t find anything she liked. And she didn’t really embrace vinyl since she’s only 17! So maybe I’ll get the Led Zeppelin box set they have...or something.

I buy mostly used stuff. My latest purchase was a 1974 Brazilian Rock LP, Raul Seixas' "Gita"

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    We bought a turntable and were handed down some LPs last year (in laws clearing out the basement) - including some LPs from when my wife was a teenager! Got my daughter a gift certificate from the local vinyl shop. She browsed but didn’t find anything she liked. And she didn’t really embrace vinyl since she’s only 17! So maybe I’ll get the Led Zeppelin box set they have...or something.
    I'm a fan of vinyl, I admit. It requires a certain commitment. Not only do you need a turntable, you need a phono stage preamp, or an amp with a phono input. They're scarce these days.

Right about now, I'd appreciate a spellcheck that knows what the hell a preamp is, Or what phono is.

Has your daughter ever seen a telephone with a dial?
    An electric clock with a loss of power indicator?

I think a sense of history is important to the future. Especially to young people.

Can you understand digital audio without knowing analog?

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    I'm a fan of vinyl, I admit. It requires a certain commitment. Not only do you need a turntable, you need a phono stage preamp, or an amp with a phono input. They're scarce these days.

Right about now, I'd appreciate a spellcheck that knows what the hell a preamp is, Or what phono is.

Has your daughter ever seen a telephone with a dial?
    An electric clock with a loss of power indicator?

I think a sense of history is important to the future. Especially to young people.

Can you understand digital audio without knowing analog?

My latest dream acquisition is a vintage Marantz hi fi set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    My latest dream acquisition is a vintage Marantz hi fi set.
    Some of the stuff branded Realistic from Radio Shack was damn good. Most of them still work too. I have a STA-46 in my studio.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim