Thread: Do you have a favorite burger joint?

Do you have a favorite burger joint?

I don't mean Mc Donald's, Burger King... I mean local business.

I have recently tried the cheeseburger at a local shack called Fat Guys, their pickles and patties really surprised me. The sandwiches actually taste like the old time stuff I used to have at roadside diners.

Re: Do you have a favorite burger joint?

Yes Sergio, we have a few local places that are favorites. The oldest would be a place called Lates, that has been the favorite burger barn for generation's of high school students because it is located about two blocks from our main high school. Another is the Big Apple Pub and Grill where I’ve been playing a weekly jam session for 2+ years now (I played for the grand opening in 1964) where they serve an outstanding burger (and great pizza). There are a few more that get my dining dollar as I’m not a big fan of the fare from the major chains.

Thank you, Rob! I really love those experiences.

I ain't that old, and I live in a different country, but I tell you, guys:I sense a very noticeable difference between the stuff I usually eat nowadays and the food I'd have back in the early 80s, when I was a kid. Burgers and sausage are typical examples.

I've got two local places were I like to get burgers and I have to confess to a fondness for the 5 Guys bacon burger with grilled onions, grilled jalapenos and mayo. About 900 calories for the double so I started getting the single. Which actually works better with the toppings.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

There's a seasonal place down by the shore called "David's Place" that is great. When I'm in the area I always stop there.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I've cut down on the amount of beef I eat, but I'm blessed to have quite a number of "craft" burger joints nearby. I can't remember the last time I had a "pretend burger" at McDonalds or similar.

True story: A new burger joint named "Habit Burger" opened down the road. I went twice, and each time was sorely disappointed. Considering the competition, Burger King served a better burger than this place. Places I like nearby:

• Fuddrucker's
    • Burger Shack
    • Burger 21
    • Melt
    • Five Guys

With the exception of Melt, all are chains, but they are IMO, head and shoulders above the fa(s)t food crowd.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

There are nothing but trash burgers in this town. I'm slowly reducing my meat intake and have already cooked it. I hope is the last time. But my own burgers beat anything you can get here for miles around. I admit that I like a trash burger occasionally. Big Mac--worst thing a human can eat--there're probably more vitamins in a Thailand, grilled giant cockroach.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Sergio, check out this video. There is a very brief photo on the wall of the original Late’s at this location from my high school days.

TFF Stage Crew

In Columbus, my favorite burgers are from Tommy's Diner for the classic diner experience, and Thurman Cafe in German Village, which is phenomenal.

Thurman also did a tie-in with Schwarzenegger, who hosts the "Arnold Classic" in Columbus every year. It's called "The Thurmanator," and it's like a building.

The Thurmonator sounds like something you eat and then don't need to for a week

I have a few places for great burgers.
    |I try to avoid the fast food places whenever possible. I honestly can't remember the last time I had something from McD's, BK or Wendy's, but we have 5 Guys, Smashburger and MooYa nearby, which are all good. I think Shake Shack is way overrated, as is In and Out (*ducking*)
    There's also a bunch of sit-sown places around that have great burgers. One, called Bourbons, has one with a skirt of melted cheese around it that is phenomenal. There was another brewpub nearby that had one with a sort of marsala mushroom sauce on it that was great.
    |Then another with a bacon, cheese, onion ring and fried egg burger. YEah, I was skeptical too until I tried it.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

There’s a place around here called Hintonburger. Located in a neighborhood named, appropriately, Hintonburg. They’ve been in business for close to 20 years but have moved around a lot to different locations. Service was a bit slow but totally worth it. They closed when C19 hit. They have done some “pop up” events but it just ain’t the same. My go-to right now is Harvey’s. Yes it’s a chain restaurant but they are still 1000x better than McD’s or BK.
    Last edited by dirtdog; 12-06-2020 at 09:49 AM.

the fried egg on a burger should be reserved for when you are a starvin Marvin, as it is really filling. We got a place called 101Grill, only been there once, very $$$ and I had their burger with an egg on it. I could barely finish it, I shouldn't have eaten all those fries

Mike's At The Crossing, right at the junction of the 101 and the 116 in Rohnert Park (adjacent to Santa Rosa). Killer.

I'll probably get burned alive for saying this, but Ruby Tuesday makes a pretty good burger.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I'll probably get burned alive for saying this, but Ruby Tuesday makes a pretty good burger.
    Ruby Tuesday seems to be shrinking. They have closed pretty much every restaurant in my area. The last closure was just announced Monday.

(Sung to the tune of the Stones's Goodbye Ruby Tuesday)
    Last edited by OldStrummer; 12-02-2020 at 06:22 PM.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

you're not wrong. Ours closed last year (pre-covid) got torn down and is now a flooring and home decor store.

Most of those places - I used to call it TGI ChiliBees - all those family restaurants with weird crap on the walls, to paraphrase The Simpsons - had pretty good ones. Though TBH it is hard to really screw up a burger.

We've got a place near us where my mom hung out when she was in high school in the '50s and we'd always run into people we knew when we went there up until about 10 years ago. We used to go there most Sunday's after church.
    You can either order a standard burger from the menu or fill out a form to select what you want. Mine is usually a breakfast burger- a beef patty with an over easy egg, bacon, spicy ketchup and a few other things on it. I'm greasy up to my elbows when I'm finished. They make a great sundae too. When I was a teen I always ordered a chocolate frappe with a raw egg in it (they no longer offer the raw egg). Luckily for my health, I don't go there often!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    We've got a place near us where my mom hung out when she was in high school in the '50s and we'd always run into people we knew when we went there up until about 10 years ago. We used to go there most Sunday's after church.
    You can either order a standard burger from the menu or fill out a form to select what you want. Mine is usually a breakfast burger- a beef patty with an over easy egg, bacon, spicy ketchup and a few other things on it. I'm greasy up to my elbows when I'm finished. They make a great sundae too. When I was a teen I always ordered a chocolate frappe with a raw egg in it (they no longer offer the raw egg). Luckily for my health, I don't go there often!
    oh man, that reminds me of Orange Julius in the Nashua Mall, the first mall in NH. They used to make those with a raw egg in it too. I don't even know if OJ is still in business anymore. The indoor box of the mall was torn down probably 30 years ago and it became a strip mall.

reminiscing about the mall reminded me of Friendly's. I used to love their Big Beef burger. Served on buttered toast, with grilled onions. Went to one a few years ago and it just wasn't as good. The place was as nasty as a Waffle House inside. I wanted to wash down the table before I sat there.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    oh man, that reminds me of Orange Julius in the Nashua Mall, the first mall in NH. They used to make those with a raw egg in it too. I don't even know if OJ is still in business anymore. The indoor box of the mall was torn down probably 30 years ago and it became a strip mall.
    reminiscing about the mall reminded me of Friendly's. I used to love their Big Beef burger. Served on buttered toast, with grilled onions. Went to one a few years ago and it just wasn't as good. The place was as nasty as a Waffle House inside. I wanted to wash down the table before I sat there.
    I had an OJ near me - the Natick Mall, in Massachusetts. There was one there (at least the reconstructed Natick Mall) as recently as maybe 5-ish years ago. I think it's closed now, probably another Auntie Annies. But I have fond memories of OJ - used to get them all the time. Same with Friendlys, as a kid we'd go for the kids lunch meal, with a sundae for dessert included. But honestly, they did a pretty good job with their food over the years.

When I worked for Sam Goody at the Monmouth Mall I'd eat at Orange Julius at least once a week. 1/4 pound hot dogs!

The Ruby Tuesday near us closed, too. There's one by the airport that still does take-out.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    I had an OJ near me - the Natick Mall, in Massachusetts. There was one there (at least the reconstructed Natick Mall) as recently as maybe 5-ish years ago. I think it's closed now, probably another Auntie Annies. But I have fond memories of OJ - used to get them all the time. Same with Friendlys, as a kid we'd go for the kids lunch meal, with a sundae for dessert included. But honestly, they did a pretty good job with their food over the years.
    I'm about 45 minutes from the Natick Mall and haven't been there in over 30 years. I remember the smell of the Wonder Bread (it was Wonder Bread, right?) factory near the mall. What a great smell!

I'm about 45 minutes from the Natick Mall and haven't been there in over 30 years. I remember the smell of the Wonder Bread (it was Wonder Bread, right?) factory near the mall. What a great smell!
    oh, man, you want to talk about great smells? We used to go to The Original Cafe in Cambridge for their marvelous pizza, after visiting my nana. When you came outside, the smells from the New England Confectionary factory across the street was mouth-watering, no matter how full you were.

oh, man, you want to talk about great smells? We used to go to The Original Cafe in Cambridge for their marvelous pizza, after visiting my nana. When you came outside, the smells from the New England Confectionary factory across the street was mouth-watering, no matter how full you were.
    That reminded me of one of the first real cheeseburgers I ate, back in the early 80s. The place still exists:

That reminds me that there was a shop that built and sold recording gear in Mansfield, MA that was in the same building as a chocolate factory. The smell was incredible! Overwhelming, actually!

Yep, Wonder Bread factory - as immortalized in the millenneum episode of Family Guy.
    I grew up a few miles from there, as the crow flies, and when the wind was just right I could smell the donut grease at my house.
    The factory has been closed for 20 or 25 years now, since before they rebuilt the mall. The space where it was is now occupied by condos attached to the mall.

That reminds me that there was a shop that built and sold recording gear in Mansfield, MA that was in the same building as a chocolate factory. The smell was incredible! Overwhelming, actually!
    + like

Not really a burger joint, but a good place to eat.

Star Cafe in Atlanta. 1 location.

Southern cooking. 1 meat and 2 sides for lunch.

Meat loaf, Country Fried Steak, Grilled Salmon, Pot Roast/w rice, fried Red Snapper, Hamburger steak w onions and gravy. Among others

Veggies? Fried Zucchini Sticks. Cottage cheese w/peaches. Baby Lima Beans, Cole slaw, Fried Okra, Creamed corn. Among others,

Their other business? Renting tour buses.
    https://starcoachesinc.com/