Thread: The Post-Thanksgiving Sunday Thread, 2020

The Post-Thanksgiving Sunday Thread, 2020

Here it is, 8:00 AM on the U. S. East Coast and nobody has yet started a Sunday thread. Are we losing interest?

"Black Friday" was the day after Thanksgiving, and "Cyber Monday" is tomorrow. Does anyone else think these are made-up "Hallmark Holidays?" I can't remember when - if ever - I made a big deal out of buying stuff on either of those days. The few times I've looked, I wasn't interested in what was being offered up, and those items I found mildly interesting were either already sold out, or weren't such a great deal, anyway.

We now begin the Christmas season. Having been invited to bring my guitar along to the family Christmas gathering, I'm already preparing some songs the grandkids can sing along to. I will say with some satisfaction, that I have augmented an instrumental version of "Silent Night" I started working on last Christmas. I'll probably use it some time during a quiet period (probably when everyone is nodding off after eating too much!).

Onward and upward. This has been a rotten year for all of us, yet I still found many things to be thankful for. Among them, is this rich community of people with a shared affection and (mostly) civil tongues.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Post-Thanksgiving Sunday Thread, 2020

Haha- OS, Sunday morning amongst a bunch of musicians. Doubtful that even half of us are up before 08:00! ;-)

Going to enjoy this Sunday by NOT swinging a hammer. Spent all of the week before last, last weekend and yesterday prepping my Moms condo for sale. Getting new carpets installed this week - have a couple of new lighting fixtures to install and that’s it! Then my sibs take over to deal with the real estate transaction.
    Seems like halfway nice day, sunny, above freezing, sweater weather!

Later this evening will retire to man cave to work on recording audio and video.

This is actually the first time I've slept until 8 in months. I FINALLY finished replacing the deck floor. It wore me out and my back and legs are killing me, but I'm done. I had to spend a day undoing and fixing stuff my brother did when I wasn't looking, but it's all good. Today I need to button up the lawn, get the mower winterized and prepare the snowblower for the season. If I have any energy left after that I'll put the Summer tires in the basement. I also got my new computer up and running but want to straighten out all the cabling and replace all the stupid little power strips with one large one.

My wife is staying at her son's house this week - both my stepson and his wife are back to work and their daughter's school just went full remote so she's going to stay with them during the week so they can both work. That might not have been possible 6 months ago, but MrsJunkie is one of the rare ones who has prospered from COVID. She has been sober since March (mostly) and is determined to stay that way.

Rough week, otherwise - This weekend I lost a high school classmate to COVID and my ex-wife's sister to heart disease.

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I've actually been getting to bed earlier and by that I mean closer to 1 AM than 3 or 4 AM. That might actually be from the clock change but I'll take it. I'm getting up 730-ish, 800-ish these days even if the cat isn't walking on me.

Don't care for Black Friday, too many years in the retail trenches. PTS still gets me and I avoid the south end of town until January.

I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to get rid of a buzz on the 6th string of one of my Gibsons. Could I find a truss rod tool? Of course not. Fortunately a Craftsman 5/16th nut driver worked. Probably should have changed the strings first. So I changed them, to a smaller gauge (9s). Oh, the guitar did NOT like that. Could not dial out the buzz for the life of me. After several hours I gave up and looked around and found an box of 10s. Another hour or so later I finally had a happy guitar. Somewhere a Scottish great ancestor is bemoaning my destroying a perfectly good new set of strings

But now, if I want to go down a gauge, I'm going to have to change the nut. I was hoping to have all my guitars on 9s, make buying in bulk easier.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Nice work on the deck, GJ. I still chuckle every time I think of that deck and the fake skeleton buried beneath it. Going to make some forensic investigator miffed somehwhere far down the road but definitely worth it!

Sorry to hear about your losses.

Yes--I love watching the deck progress.

I had the greatest Thursday-Sunday morning visit with my son. He's 31 and still has time for me, really giving and easy to get along with. We did a lot of little projects around the house, and he was a great help.

Now that I'm alone again, I'll have some time to get into music. My biz desk is cleared for a while. I only recently decided to retire for good, and I'm trying to get used to doing fun stuff without feeling a nagging voice telling me I'm an idler.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Hope all had a great Thanksgiving, ours was super. Hang in there as changes will come with the new year.