Thread: Dude Forgot to Hook Up my Reverb Tank?

Dude Forgot to Hook Up my Reverb Tank?

At least that's what I think happened. So I wonder if it's a fix I can do. I'm trying to avoid the 80 mile round trip to get the DRRI back to my amp guy.

I took the amp to him for scratchy pots and nothing out of the 1st channel. Everything works beautifully. The vibro turns on no problem, the reverb won't come on. Pretty sure the switch works, and I don't think there was a problem with the tube. But as you know, I can't technical very well.

Does it sound like the reverb tank wasn't hooked up?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Dude Forgot to Hook Up my Reverb Tank?

Are the tank cables plugged in?
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    Are the tank cables plugged in?
    My thought too.

On a DRRI, and many similar Fender amps, it's really easy to check. One end of the cable (usually a TRS) plugs into the back of the amp near the speaker jack. For the tank itself, you can usually remove one screw that holds a vinyl pouch onto the inside base of the amp. Lift out the pouch, pull the reverb unit out of it, and see if the one (or sometimes two) (usually RCA) jacks are fully plugged into it.

If one or both aren't, problem solved.

If they are, but the verb isn't working, trying switching them, in case the tech unplugged them, then put them into the wrong jacks.

If that still doesn't fix it, it could be a bad solder connection. DRRI, TRRI, and several other Fender amps are notorious for the internal connection being broken in one end of one of the cables. You can order a new tank-to-amp cable if soldering stuff isn't your thing.

I have had to repair the reverb connection in literally every Fender amp I've owned since the late 90s.

Thanks, guys. I reversed the plugs and nothing, so I put them back.

Of course it turned out to be in the footswitch. I'd never had trouble with it, fine last time I used it, so I skipped the 2nd rule of Fight Club and didn't check the footswitch (o shit, I just broke the first rule of Fight Club).
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison