Thread: Customer Service

Customer Service

What are your opinions about customer service? Good or bad.

I've just spent a crapload of time arguing over 6 cents on a bill. No actual resolution, they've only agreed to "credit" me 6 cents on my next bill, but they think I owe them 6 cents in 2 days. This is the kind of crap that pisses me off to no end.

What are your opinions? Not about my situation per se, but about customer service in general.

Had a bad experience? Had a good experience? This may be your chance to recommend someone to do business with, or someone to do not.

Do you have days that people tend to piss you off? Today is one of those days for me. Maybe just venting.

Re: Customer Service

The fact that I'm super happy when I get decent customer service says a lot!

For me, customer service can be a make-it-or-break-it situation when deciding to do further business with a company. Unfortunately, there are some industries where one company's customer service is a bad as the next. Proof: Telephone/Internet companies.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I recently had a nightmare experience with Home Depot who made error after error and which cost me hours and hour tostraighten out, to keep from losing $200 to them for their mistake.

Amazon--great experiences always.

Sweetwater--they go beyond to please. I've always had great experiences and have even been able to pull them down on the prices of new guitars. Not always, but $100 off Fender's retail price twice. They call you to make sure you're happy with the products. They've also never given me grief for sending back anything.

ATT--hit or miss. Their wait times can be maddening.

Any Tennessee State agency--pitiful. I had to call one office this summer. They put me on hold for an hour, and then hung up. Another hour, the same. And the same. I gave up and just let a bit of business go.

And yeah, some days I wake up pissed off. It's a human thing. Customer service can do it to you. A couple of days, the Home Depot debacle ruined my day because I got upset and took a while to find calm. I get anxious when I get upset about something, so I try not to get upset. I'm good at holding my own in a disagreement, but I don't like the conflict.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Myself I usually go to a office location when posable to resolve any issues. I dont sweat the small stuff. So unless it amounts to over $100 or an item I ordered but did not get I use Email to the company. By going to a local office it gets there attention faster and they put that in your file that you will show up if a problem is not resolved.

Forum Member

I definitely feel like American millennials are less customer-friendly. That might be because I'm becoming a crotchety old man, but I suspect it's because companies have shown for decades that they don't want to pay entry level workers a decent wage. To be blunt, they take advantage of those workers. I wouldn't be jumping up to help people with gusto given the real wages that pass for a form of compensation these days. Nevertheless, compared to Germany, person-to-person customer service in the USA is excellent. When I was in Germany I felt like customer service reps were actually hostile or looking for a reason to be, so I feel lucky to have American customer service norms.

It’s the only thing that’ll keep bricks and mortar retail in business (pandemic notwithstanding). Sad fact is that many brick and mortar retailers have not realized this! I’ve got too many examples to document here.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    It’s the only thing that’ll keep bricks and mortar retail in business (pandemic notwithstanding). Sad fact is that many brick and mortar retailers have not realized this! I’ve got too many examples to document here.

I've worked in retail twice. Once, when I was in and just after graduating from college, and more recently, part-time in a running store. I learn
    ed two valuable lessons from these experiences:

• The customer may not always be right. But the customer is ALWAYS the customer.
    • A satisfied customer tells a friend. A dissatisfied customer tells ten friends.

Two lessons I try to pass on to those younger than I who may be trying to eke out a living in this day and age.
    Striving to be ordinary

I( firmly believe everyone should work in retail at least once. My biggest pet peeves are restaurants with poor service and crappy car salesmen.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I'd like to know more about the 6 cents. I mean, that must be a really important 6 cents. How did you come to be at odds over $.06? Got to be more to this story in my years of experience.

Hell, if someone said I owed them 6 cents I'd have them put it on my debit card and then chuckle about it all day knowing they lost money.

YMMV, but for me 6 cents definitely falls into the "Don't sweat the small stuff" category.

You have to remember that when you call customer service for most companies you get some poor schlub making almost no money and with no real authority to make a decision, who has to deal with pissed-off people all day. These are times when a little kindness goes a long way. Sometimes it pays to think Big Picture.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

As someone who has worked in customer service of one form or another for longer than I want to admit, a big part depends on the
    company and the culture, and how much leeway the reps have.
    And frankly, also the customer on the other end. If someone comes on immediately shouting at the rep, they're less likely to have a quick resolution.
    Be polite and explain what the issue is.
    THe back side, is, the company's system may not allow the rep to just credit you that 6 cents, only to apply it to the next bill, or something to that effect.
    Now, not saying that every CSR is perfect; they may be new, or jaded, or coming off another bad call, or any other number of things, but arguing all day isn't usually the best way to get what you want.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I'd like to know more about the 6 cents. I mean, that must be a really important 6 cents. How did you come to be at odds over $.06? Got to be more to this story in my years of experience.

Hell, if someone said I owed them 6 cents I'd have them put it on my debit card and then chuckle about it all day knowing they lost money.

YMMV, but for me 6 cents definitely falls into the "Don't sweat the small stuff" category.

You have to remember that when you call customer service for most companies you get some poor schlub making almost no money and with no real authority to make a decision, who has to deal with pissed-off people all day. These are times when a little kindness goes a long way. Sometimes it pays to think Big Picture.

Chuck
    6 cents, yeah i get it. Most people wouldn't bat an eye. The dispute is I paid it. They don't think I did. Suppose you're a company that has 94.5 million customers, and you don't think anyone will dispute 6 cents. Viola! you just made an extra 5.6 million dollars. Suddenly, they haven't lost money dealing with an unhappy customer over 6 cents.

It must be a tough job. Even when I have something awful happen as with Home Depot, I make it a rule never to blame the customer service agent. If I am upset and it's even slightly obvious, I say so to the rep, but I tell them that I don't blame them and am not angry in any way with them.

When I worked in banking, we watched some very helpful customer service videos--highest tech we had in 82. A couple of things that struck me:

1. Customers will often express anger out of frustrations that might be ironed out with a little reassurance. Saying, I'm sorry you're unhappy about this. Let's see how we can resolve this (or something less formal) Asking questions and sympathizing without assigning blame or passing it off to the company's decisions, often changes their attitudes. I used those tips and saw them work many times. Of course, it doesn't always work, and there are degrees of what's at stake. And sometimes buttchasms are just buttchasms.

2. You never know what else is going on in someone's life. I could write about 10 such cases here if space and attention allowed. Friendly customer service can make a difference.

3. Sometimes, a customer service rep is the only person that customer ever has contact with. And now that a lot of older people are staying home and safe. And so many of them are alone. It's something to keep in mind.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    It must be a tough job. Even when I have something awful happen as with Home Depot, I make it a rule never to blame the customer service agent. If I am upset and it's even slightly obvious, I say so to the rep, but I tell them that I don't blame them and am not angry in any way with them.

When I worked in banking, we watched some very helpful customer service videos--highest tech we had in 82. A couple of things that struck me:

1. Customers will often express anger out of frustrations that might be ironed out with a little reassurance. Saying, I'm sorry you're unhappy about this. Let's see how we can resolve this (or something less formal) Asking questions and sympathizing without assigning blame or passing it off to the company's decisions, often changes their attitudes. I used those tips and saw them work many times. Of course, it doesn't always work, and there are degrees of what's at stake. And sometimes buttchasms are just buttchasms.

2. You never know what else is going on in someone's life. I could write about 10 such cases here if space and attention allowed. Friendly customer service can make a difference.

3. Sometimes, a customer service rep is the only person that customer ever has contact with. And now that a lot of older people are staying home and safe. And so many of them are alone. It's something to keep in mind.

If I have an issue with a company, it's with the company, not some poor customer service shlub. If that company doesn't give some poor customer service shlub the tools to deal with an unhappy customer, then that's their fault.

I used to work in IT for a private corporation. I had to deal with employees who kept personal info on their company pc, like photos, tax returns or other financial information. When and if their hard drive failed, I didn't take it personally. Once in a while, I was actually able to recover some or all of their information.

So I'm arguing over 6 cents that I've already paid.

Not arguing over customer service representatives that have their own issues to deal with. Are those issues mine? Perhaps. Let's face it, they represent whatever company they represent.

I recently donated money to The Les Paul forum, which supports this site. I didn't get even so much as an email of thanks.

Customer service. There's lack of it. When i experience it, I have to say something .

It depends on the company.

Phone companies always are a PITA if you have a complaint. I've had several unpleasant experiences with those. They will rip you off with services you never contracted, overcharge you... Last time I had to deal with one, I got two allegedly due identical bills. I called them and told them to check my payment registries, I had paid the bill that month, I had no debts. Still they kept calling me day and night, and whenever I explained (over and over again) that it was a system mistake they were quite rude, making me get rude too... I had to call the Govt. agency for telecommunications and file a complaint. Only then it stopped.

Amazon is great. Only had two complaints and they were professional, polite and helpful.

Fender is lovely. I never really had to complain about anything, but they always reply my emails with helpful and complete info, and when I needed to replace a trem arm tip (mine came plain white, and the plastics on the guitar were aged white. The trem arm came as a spare part, in a bag). I emailed Fender asking about local dealers where I could buy an aged tip, and they sent me one for free via FedEx right away.

Gibson is also pretty good, once purchased an SG online, it came with a cracked fretboard and they replaced the guitar without even blinking.

Rickenbacker is polite but will only point you directions, they won't do anything for you unless it's a very particular situation regarding warranty.

Maybe my worst experience with CS was back in the 90s. I called Tower records to order a few CDs and the asshole salesman who talked to me was the most unpleasant, arrogant and harsh schmuck I've ever talked to on a phone. This guy was just SO rude that some other guy probably called him out, 'cause at a certain point he started to apologize. Oh and I never received the CDs I ordered.

Before I retired I was the quality assurance manager for a manufacturing company with a customer base that covered everything from major construction/agricultural equipment manufacturers to small, mom and pop local companies. I had a new, local customer call my office one day to let me know that we had shipped 20 assemblies to his company with the wrong electrical solenoid installed. We had a good exchange where he said they could mod their production schedule to, hopefully, cover any time loss due to our error.

When I got off the phone, I headed to the shop floor cell where the solenoids would have been installed and I verified that our work instruction had called out the correct solenoid and, that it was an assembly error, not an engineering error. I grabbed 20 of the correct units, went in our computerized inventory system and removed them, grabbed a tool box and headed out the door. I showed up at our customer’s plant an hour later where their QA manager guided me to the shop floor and for the next two hours, I replaced the actuators on the problem solenoids.

Later in the day when I was back at my desk I got a call from the customer’s company president thanking me for our company’s outstanding customer service. I’ve been retired for nearly eight years and that company is still a valued customer. Good customer service ensures a satisfied customer.

Chuck
    I once did a plumbing job for the local Chucky Cheese. The bill was around $360 and after around 4 months of chasing them for my payment I got a letter saying that they went bankrupt and my payment was around ten shares of their stock. Every quarter I would get a check for a $.12 dividend and I'd just stick it on my desk. I collected quite a number of those twelve cent checks and never cashed a one. I secretly hoped I was making some accountant pissed off.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

I've worked in retail twice. Once, when I was in and just after graduating from college, and more recently, part-time in a running store. I learn
    ed two valuable lessons from these experiences:

• The customer may not always be right. But the customer is ALWAYS the customer.
    • A satisfied customer tells a friend. A dissatisfied customer tells ten friends.

Two lessons I try to pass on to those younger than I who may be trying to eke out a living in this day and age.
    +1000. I've done my stint in retail. I did warranty returns for a high end downhill ski/golf shop back around the time of the Calgary Olympics. You absolutely bet that the customer is always the customer!

vinyl,

We're all buds here. My advice which you didn't ask for -

Don't worry about it and don't get upset. As someone who's enjoyed some success in life I look at as situation like yours like this: How worthy of my time is this issue? Am I going to spend a lot of time that I could be doing something more fruitful than trying to recover $.06? ( Hopefully yes!) If I was your boss and I asked you what you were doing for the last 2 hours and you said "I was trying to save the company six cents," how do you think that would be received?

The whole "It's the principle of the thing" argument isn't valid. That's an emotional argument. When we let our emotions propel us forward we often make bad decisions. One of the things I listen for when people come to me at work are the victim, villain, or helpless stories. They almost guarantee the person giving me their narrative is being emotional and not being objective and just trying to solve the problem.

The truth is that a lot - if not most of the time - life isn't fair. Never will be. So sometimes you just gotta tell yourself that the six cents is a pretty small price to pay and laugh it off.

Like I said earlier, I'd pay the six cents and have a chuckle over it. I'll pay six cents for a good laugh and story to tell my buds out on the boat.

YMMV, but hey - life doesn't pay you benefits for getting upset. This advice is worth what you paid for it :)

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Chuck, you reminded me of two things my lawyer told me when I was going through a divorce. That I remember them almost 30 years later means their impact has stayed with me:

"When you say 'it's the principle' of the matter, do you spell that with 'ple' or 'pal?'"
    "Think about this: Do you want to send your daughter to college, or mine?"

Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Chuck, you reminded me of two things my lawyer told me when I was going through a divorce. That I remember them almost 30 years later means their impact has stayed with me:

"When you say 'it's the principle' of the matter, do you spell that with 'ple' or 'pal?'"
    "Think about this: Do you want to send your daughter to college, or mine?"

He he, there are times in life when just sitting back and listening to Scarlet Begonias will yield much more fruit than resistance. When you realize you can't control the universe life becomes a lot more meaningful.

life doesn't pay you benefits for getting upset.
    I couldn't agree more...

Forum Member

The truth is that a lot - if not most of the time - life isn't fair. Never will be. So sometimes you just gotta tell yourself that the six cents is a pretty small price to pay and laugh it off.
    I've heard this argument so many times and it's so misleading. I used to work for a bank and I remember meetings where guys in suits would say, "Well if there's a mistake in the software, it'll be in the bank's favor." That is so common in the business world. There are also executives who actively stick fees into their business model where they collect a few cents here and there from every customer and those add up to millions. Further, there are executives who use planned obsolescence in their products to short change customers. Sorry, the power supply cord costs $80 and there aren't any other generic manufactures--you gotta buy from us. Those executives, along with pigs like Martin Shkreli, bank on people saying "life isn't fair" as they raise the prices on things like insulin to levels that end up killing people. So yeah, the principles of fairness matter. In many cases nowadays, they amount to life and death circumstances for people. Those of us with critical thinking skills who are aware of this inequality know that it can amount to death from 10,000 .06 cent charges.

Striving to be ordinary

Forum Member

They threw your vote in the trash? Ah well, it's one among millions. Chuckle about it. Life isn't fair.

vinyl,

We're all buds here. As someone who's enjoyed some success in life I look at as situation like yours like this: How worthy of my time is this issue? ( Hopefully yes!) If I was your boss and I asked you what you were doing for the last 2 hours and you said "I was trying to save the company six cents," how do you think that would be received?
    Yes, we're all buds here. I've also enjoyed some success in life.
    How about "I was trying to save one of our 94.5 million customers over 6 cents."
    The whole "It's the principle of the thing" argument isn't valid. That's an emotional argument. When we let our emotions propel us forward we often make bad decisions. One of the things I listen for when people come to me at work are the victim, villain, or helpless stories. They almost guarantee the person giving me their narrative is being emotional and not being objective and just trying to solve the problem.
    Did I give you the impression of some emotional argument? It's 6 cents. It's 6 cents that I have paid.

Part of the key to customer service is keeping the customers you already have.

I'm somewhat offended that you think I could get emotional over 6 cents.

Yes, life isn't fair. From what I've seen here, There are a lot more examples of poor customer service, than good.

Like I said earlier, I'd pay the six cents and have a chuckle over it. I'll pay six cents for a good laugh and story to tell my buds out on the boat.

YMMV, but hey - life doesn't pay you benefits for getting upset. This advice is worth what you paid for it :)
    Chuck
    No, life doesn't pay you benefits for getting upset. If something doesn't upset you, why would you say anthing?

But does it pay anything for calling out an unfairness, even if its over 6 cents? How much does it have to be? 6 cents? 25 cents? 200 dollars?

I recently donated $500.00 to The Les Paul forum. didn't get so much as a thank you email. Just another example of how customer service, however simple, can keep a customer. I'm more emotional about that than 6 cents. So, once again, life doesn't pay me to be upset. It also doesn't pay The Fender Forum to keep the forum going.

Gives me some idea about how I will support this forum in the future.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

I hate to say it, but I just dictate to them what needs to be done. 3/4 time they simply do it which makes for an easy scenario.

Of the remaining 1/4, I walk them through how it’s their issue, and they should have processes in place to avoid them. Because of their inabilities, I am needing to take my time. Then I reference I am a Process consultant and my rate. That gets the half of the remaining 1/4.

The last few are a pain in the @ss and take time. I ALWAYS send them an invoice for my time.
    Ive actually had some pay or credit my account.

The rule is, always maintain control of the situation, the conversation, and yourself.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I recently had a nightmare experience with Home Depot who made error after error and which cost me hours and hour tostraighten out, to keep from losing $200 to them for their mistake.

Amazon--great experiences always.

Sweetwater--they go beyond to please. I've always had great experiences and have even been able to pull them down on the prices of new guitars. Not always, but $100 off Fender's retail price twice. They call you to make sure you're happy with the products. They've also never given me grief for sending back anything.

ATT--hit or miss. Their wait times can be maddening.

Any Tennessee State agency--pitiful. I had to call one office this summer. They put me on hold for an hour, and then hung up. Another hour, the same. And the same. I gave up and just let a bit of business go.

And yeah, some days I wake up pissed off. It's a human thing. Customer service can do it to you. A couple of days, the Home Depot debacle ruined my day because I got upset and took a while to find calm. I get anxious when I get upset about something, so I try not to get upset. I'm good at holding my own in a disagreement, but I don't like the conflict.

This is what I was looking for. As a bonus, blackonblack and melody posted something here.

I wasn't looking for names to be named, I could do plenty of that.

I get that I'm not popular here with some of the regulars, and I don't want to be, or trying to be. Just trying to get people to post here, rather than Facebook, Twitter, Imgur, Instagram, Snapchat, or others.

This is where I come to read shit that I want to read. I'm not registered with Facebook, Twitter, Imgur, Instagram, or Snapchat.

vinyl, I'm trying to learn to let a lot of stuff go. I admit that people can provoke me and easily upset me. But I resent the fact that I allow incompetent or plain ignorant people piss me off and ruin my day(s). I have to learn to do a lot of counting to 10. I get upset with them; 2 seconds later, they couldn't care less; for three days, I'm upset and anxious. That tells me that it's not good for me to let myself be so easily set off. Business has changed since our youths. When I was a kid in the early 60s, most shops were mom and pop shops in Nashville. There has never been a golden age--products could be hard to find. But mom and pop couldn't hide behind corporate structures, and we had one on one interaction with folks who had personal stakes in keeping their biz reputation in order. Those days won't return, so we're stuck with a giant, faceless machine.

I've noticed that some companies are no longer providing customer service telephone numbers. merely throwing out a list of topics that never seem to solve the problem. Picta has lost two photo orders of mine, and it took some doing to find a way to even email them--their online form doesn't work.

Not going to let it ruin my bliss. Instead, I'm sitting here listening to Christmas and Holiday songs, drinking a warm cup of coffee, and being glad to have friends like you on this forum.

I canceled my SiriusXM subscription today. I've had it since I got my car nearly six years ago, but now that car sits in the garage most of the time, so I don't need or want it. I rarely listened to it, anyway.

As is the case with most of these subscription services, they don't give you a way to cancel online. You have to pick up the phone and speak with someone. And that someone is required to do all they can to keep one from canceling. I knew I was up to the challenge.

The young man did his best, but I simply held to my ground: I no longer use the car I had the service with, and my other car isn't capable of it. How about a portable? How about a radio for your other car? No, thank you, I simply replied. I told him I appreciated that he was doing his job, so I let him give me the pitch and then declined any offer. Service canceled, money refunded to my account. Anything else I can do for you?

The entire transaction didn't take more than about five minutes. No one had to raise a voice, get rude or try to one-up the other.

Staying calm, polite and on purpose was what made the whole transaction palatable.

Tomorrow comes Netflix...
    Striving to be ordinary