Thread: Rainy, cold, working outside Sunday thread!

Rainy, cold, working outside Sunday thread!

Good day to all of you. My turn to start the Sunday thread. My deck floor FINALLY came i and I hope to get things going on it, but the weather is not cooperating. I may spend the day researching bitcoin mining. I just scored a supercomputer through Amazon Vine and it has the processing power necessary, but I need to look into what it involves and the legality of doing it. My brother is really into it and appears to be making money hand over fist. I'm sceptical.

Things in Connecticut are getting bad again (like everywhere else) and we're hunkering down again.

Have a great week and everybody stay well.

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: Rainy, cold, working outside Sunday thread!

Thanks, GJ. I've been sitting here at my computer drinking coffee and reading headlines, wondering if I should barge in and start a Sunday thread. Again. I'm glad you beat me to it!

Cooler temperatures on hand now. I had a Crape Myrtle tree in my back yard trimmed this week, and now I can clear out the leaves and weeds it was hiding. I'm also going to trim a lovely Japanese Maple, which has turned bright red moving into the late season.

I finally broke down and got a new phone. I hate the new, larger bricks that everyone carries, but the iPhone 12 mini seemed like a possibility. I'm happy to say it's the same size as the iPhone 6s it's replacing! It was time, so I hope I'm set for another five years!

I've added some new songs to my repertoire, and I've been working on them all week. Simple stuff, actually. I'm turning two of them into a medley: Dwight Yoakum's "A Thousand Miles From Nowhere" and Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah." I'm not sure if they fit thematically, but the chords and changes work very well together. We'll see...

Enjoy the remainder of the weekend, everybody.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

G’mornin’!

Frosty grey day here so far. We’re supposed to get some precip later - could be rain, could be snow. Got all my external maintenance/winterization done yesterday. The key thing being moving the motorcycles to the back of the garage and moving the snowblower to the front.

Bitcoin mining: this is secondhand info, but what I understand is that the electricity required to run a bitcoin mining machine (like, at full bore, nonstop) is huge; thus the potential for your electricity bill to eat into the profits. I suppose that depends on how much you’re paying for electricity.

Edit: no sooner did I hit the “save” button and the snow started. Just light flurries for now. I suppose I’ll just spent the day playing my new Gretsch!

GJ--looking forward to seeing the deck in progress and finished. As much as my deck means to me, I understand your excitement.

I have few chores today. It's windy and cool today, so I'll be indoors. I'm still taking things out of my music room and thinking of the best way to put everything back together, optimally for recording. This is so much fun. I have a pile of guitar cables I need to organize and to see which ones work, which not.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

currently windy and sunny but that's due to change, I'll be getting gibson junkie's wind and rain later. I've got to get off the computer and out for a walk while I can. They're calling for rain and wind gusts to 58 mph tonight. I will not be outside in that if I can help it.

Trying to change my eating habits. I've been eating my breakfast/lunch mid afternoon and a supper following too close on its heel. With the reduced walking later in the day due to earlier onset of dark, input>output and I'm feeling the weight gain on my legs and hips. Didn't help that I started The Stand by Stephen King a couple weeks ago and my daytime is spent reading (so I don't fall asleep). I'm 937 pages in so I'll probably finish it in a week or so. Get back to walking during daylight will help. And yes, the book is cutting into guitar playing but once I get hooked on a book, I gotta finish it.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

It's not bad here- cool and cloudy. I think it's supposed to rain later. We picked up leaves yesterday. It went better than expected. Two large portions of trees fell earlier this year and a neighbor had several taken down and that cut back on the leaves. We usually put out 20 bags of mulched leaves per week for two weeks. We put out a total of less than 30 bags in the past three weeks and there are very few leaves left.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    currently windy and sunny but that's due to change, I'll be getting gibson junkie's wind and rain later. I've got to get off the computer and out for a walk while I can. They're calling for rain and wind gusts to 58 mph tonight. I will not be outside in that if I can help it.

Trying to change my eating habits. I've been eating my breakfast/lunch mid afternoon and a supper following too close on its heel. With the reduced walking later in the day due to earlier onset of dark, input>output and I'm feeling the weight gain on my legs and hips. Didn't help that I started The Stand by Stephen King a couple weeks ago and my daytime is spent reading (so I don't fall asleep). I'm 937 pages in so I'll probably finish it in a week or so. Get back to walking during daylight will help. And yes, the book is cutting into guitar playing but once I get hooked on a book, I gotta finish it.
    The Stand is one of my favorite books! I started screwing down some deck boards when the Torx bit that came with the screws stripped after three screws. I bought 3 5-pound boxes of screws so I figured I just get the bit from another box and be more careful. That one lasted 6 screws before snapping in half. The third bit also stripped after 6 screws. Oh well, maybe next week!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Midday update. Whew! I thought I'd clean up the patio in the back since I had the Crape Myrtle trimmed back. Can you say OCD? Man, I went ape-feces crazy, cleaning up the Japanese Maple, cleaning out between the paver stones (only about half the patio -- my back can't take all the stooping and pulling), raked the leaves, swept the patio, and then power-washed it.

And I still have half the patio left to do. Right now, I'm breaking training and have ordered some pizza as a reward.
    Striving to be ordinary

This has been an, almost, wasted Sunday. It started when I tried to download email this morning on the PC and it clocked out giving me an error. Sssooooo I thought I'll just get the old email on the iPad but that failed too. The next step was to try the cellphone and that too was a failure in the email department. The next step, before I left for breakfast was to reboot the gateway to se if that was the culprit and, needless to say, nothing was working upon arriving home from breakfast.

Since I have AT&T I check out their website and there is some babble about them creating a "secure password" so I spend 2+ hours screwing around with their "informative" system to create this secure password. What it boils down to is they dictated a password and I have to remember it, altho, they did allow me to give it a nickname but no way of recalling the password by that name. JJjjjeeeezzzzusss, what a pain in the posterior!

Happy Sunday, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    The Stand is one of my favorite books! I started screwing down some deck boards when the Torx bit that came with the screws stripped after three screws. I bought 3 5-pound boxes of screws so I figured I just get the bit from another box and be more careful. That one lasted 6 screws before snapping in half. The third bit also stripped after 6 screws. Oh well, maybe next week!
    sounds like the bits are cheap pot metal crap. You may need to drill pilot holes, which I know is a huge pain in the rear but that fake wood stuff is tough. It may be worth the trouble to either borrow or buy a second power driver just for the drill bit, switching back and forth is a sure recipe for madness.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

sounds like the bits are cheap pot metal crap. You may need to drill pilot holes, which I know is a huge pain in the rear but that fake wood stuff is tough. It may be worth the trouble to either borrow or buy a second power driver just for the drill bit, switching back and forth is a sure recipe for madness.
    I did exactly that. I have a second drill and I pre drilled the holes and it still happened. They were definitely cheap torx bits. I had some from a different size screw with the same type bit (although larger) that were much better made, but for some reason, this screw came with crappy bits. I have two packs of better bits arriving today so all is not lost!

It always seemed that EVERYTIME I read the Stand..........I came down with some suspicious "cold"...........

That walkin man gets around
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

We did absolutely nothing on Sunday. After spending a couple of days in the week helping my son move into his new house, Friday doing the final fall clean-up of the yard, and Saturday dealing with a couple of grandkids, we were so wiped out by Sunday morning we did literally nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    We did absolutely nothing on Sunday. After spending a couple of days in the week helping my son move into his new house, Friday doing the final fall clean-up of the yard, and Saturday dealing with a couple of grandkids, we were so wiped out by Sunday morning we did literally nothing.

Welcome back, Jim

Lazy Sunday watching Bosch on Amazon. In the evening me and the wife went to my parents' for dinner.

Holy crap! A Gravity Jim appearance! How’s it going, dude?

I replied on another thread, so Gravity Jim isn't just doing a drive-by. I think. So yes, welcome back!

Hey Sérgio, what with your avatar? All I see is a brownish square. Did your new bride make you go "invisible?"
    Striving to be ordinary

Yes! Great to see Gravity Jim here!

I was surprised to see that our bagged leaves made it through the wind storm last night! I don't remember ever having as many wins storms as we have this year. I also don't remember ever hearing winds like this without there being a hurricane.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I replied on another thread, so Gravity Jim isn't just doing a drive-by. I think. So yes, welcome back!Hey Sérgio, what with your avatar? All I see is a brownish square. Did your new bride make you go "invisible?"
    Hahaha it's Fender tweed. I love this stuff