Thread: NGD!!! Well, new old guitar day! Thanks Covid-19!

NGD!!! Well, new old guitar day! Thanks Covid-19!

Short story: Traded my trusty "vintage" BMI pedal steel and accoutrements for a 1996 Gretsch 6120W.

Long story: Well, you've all probably read (and promptly forgot about) the time I traded a '64 Custom Shop Jazz relic for a pedal steel several years ago. So, I learned how to play the pedal steel pretty quickly and actually did some gigs on it over the course of time. Was jamming weekly with a group of guys playing "country-soul" music (think Little Feat, Delbert McClinton and the like) for the last few years. Leader of this band is a friend I've played with off and off since highschool in 1985. Let's call him Carl. Through Carl, and well over 20 years ago, I met another friend who I play in an original hard rock band to this day (on bass). Let's call him Lenny. At one point the three of us (me Carl and Lenny) were in a band in the early 2000s. I introduced Lenny to another musician friend of mine, lets call him James, and they hit it off. Lenny had (and still has) a pretty nice guitar collection including this particular Gretsch. But Lenny never gigged with this guitar and really didn't adapt to the short scale (12 frets to the body). About ten years ago, James ended up buying the Gretsch from Lenny. Being a bit Beatles/Harrison fan, James wrote a lot music and used the Bigsby on this guitar "for flavour" over the years but otherwise sat in a case. Over the summer, I suggested that James borrow my pedal steel seeing as my band with Carl was on permanent hiatus what with Covid.

So James mentions to me last night that he's totally into the pedal steel and that should I ever want to sell mine, he'd like to buy it. So, I told James - yep, I'd consider selling it, but would also consider a trade if he was into it. He said, yup - what are you interested in? This is dangerous territory as James has a whole load of really nice gear including a complete recording studio in his basement. I thought about some outboard stuff (like a Distressor or an Avalon preamp), I thought about his Rhodes. Then I asked him about the Gretsch. James said - that's funny, that's exactly what I thought you'd want! We certainly talked a lot about that guitar over the years. He also thought it was cool that it would be one step closer to Lenny again as well! So I grabbed it - and sweetened the deal by throwing in the Peavey Nashville 112 I have, the type of amp that a pedal steel just needs. So, I texted Lenny tonight to let him know I now own his old guitar. He was very pleased with that - as he and I talked a lot about this guitar when he owned it. I owned a couple of different Electromatic (Korean Gretsch) - they were fine guitars but just didn't have the "twang". The closest guitar shop to me (down the street) is the only Gretsch dealer for 60 miles and at one point I had played every Gretsch they had in the shop....multiple times. To say I like Gretsches is an understatement. But just couldn't justify pulling the trigger on a new multi-thousand dollar guitar.

So, got myself nicely broken-in 24 year old pre-Fender Japan-made Gretsch 6120W (W for "western"). First thing I did was plug it in, fired up the slapback echo and play Stray Cat Strut from start to finish - lead and rhythm parts - one of two tunes that I have actually sat down and learned the solo note-for-note out of 35 years of playing guitar! Then played Hot Rod Lincoln (sounds as good on Gretsch as it does a Tele), then Fulsom Prison Blues, then Wichita Lineman. You get the idea!

Last edited by dirtdog; 11-13-2020 at 06:08 AM.

Re: NGD!!! Well, new old guitar day! Thanks Covid-19!

Loved hearing about the history of your Gretsch. I've lusted after one of those for 2 decades.

Congratulations on snagging such a beautiful guitar. Hope to hear some audio of it one dayu.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Sweet! I've thought to myself if I ever got a Gretsch electric, it would be a 6120. Nice catch!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Very cool. I'm a 6119 - Tenessee Rose guy myself (though it has to be the full-depth, real f-hole variety) but the 6120 is a close second.
    Just not as much a fan of gold hardware.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    Very cool. I'm a 6119 - Tenessee Rose guy myself (though it has to be the full-depth, real f-hole variety) but the 6120 is a close second.
    Just not as much a fan of gold hardware.
    Very nice. I like the Tennessee Rose as well. Have a rockabilly purist buddy who has played one of those for decades.

I hear you on the gold hardware. I'm *usually* not a blinging guy but if I had unlimited funds, I would own a White Falcon Custom!

And thanks @ch_willie and @OldStrummer!

That's one hell of a beautiful guitar! Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    That's one hell of a beautiful guitar! Congratulations!
    Thanks Sérgio!

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Loved hearing about the history of your Gretsch. I've lusted after one of those for 2 decades.

Congratulations on snagging such a beautiful guitar. Hope to hear some audio of it one dayu.
    Here you go Willie - audio AND video - prepare to have your guitar sensibilities assaulted with my average playing. Keep in mind that I'm primarily a bass player with an unhealthy obsession for six string guitars. That and my left index finger is only half useful after an injury many moons ago.

I DID get a decently executed take in there last night - unfortunately didn't record it! This vid is partially to demonstrate the Gretsch but also as a proof of concept for some other videos I'm working on (lighting, depth of field, framing, etc) - so constructive criticism is welcome!

OK, excuses for average playing - and a bunch of clams - out of the way....here you go!

Man, that's great. The whammy bar just sets that thing off. No excuses needed: that was a solid take. Guitar sounds fantastic.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Thanks Willie - you are far too kind!

Towel Please..... :)
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Not bad. For a bass player. {{{Ducking and running}}}

Just kidding, Dirtdog. You won't get any criticism from me on that take! A perfect demo for a guitar made for it!
    Striving to be ordinary

haha - thanks Frank and OS!

yep, sounds like a Gretsch

camera phone mic? Amp in room? I've been recording (and playing) direct so long that I forget what amps and mics sound like anymore.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    yep, sounds like a Gretsch

camera phone mic? Amp in room? I've been recording (and playing) direct so long that I forget what amps and mics sound like anymore.
    While I did play this the first few times through my 1964 Gibson Falcon, this recording was done through my Line6 Amplifi TT unit into Logic. Using a stock “single coil” preset. Well, with the echo amped up just a bit. Video captured on my DLSR; audio and video edited in iMovie.

iMovie is fine for simple editing (One track audio, one track video) but I’m going to need the full power of Final Cut if I’m going to do this right for the stuff the band is working on. Otherwise, the syncing will be labour intensive guesswork.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    While I did play this the first few times through my 1964 Gibson Falcon, this recording was done through my Line6 Amplifi TT unit into Logic. Using a stock “single coil” preset. Well, with the echo amped up just a bit. Video captured on my DLSR; audio and video edited in iMovie.

iMovie is fine for simple editing (One track audio, one track video) but I’m going to need the full power of Final Cut if I’m going to do this right for the stuff the band is working on. Otherwise, the syncing will be labour intensive guesswork.
    As I am contemplating a new Mac mini (my machines are antediluvian at +8 and 10 years of age), I already have Logic and am thinking about Final Cut. I probably would want the max 16 GB RAM, no upgrading available after purchase, and that's a 200 upcharge, plus the Final Cut is a 200 upcharge. 400 dollars for video editing capabilities that I don't yet possess. It won't be like I had 5 years of GarageBand under my belt before I got the Logic Pro. I should probably think about opening up iMovie and start mucking around with it now before I purchase a new machine.

As I am contemplating a new Mac mini (my machines are antediluvian at +8 and 10 years of age), I already have Logic and am thinking about Final Cut. I probably would want the max 16 GB RAM, no upgrading available after purchase, and that's a 200 upcharge, plus the Final Cut is a 200 upcharge. 400 dollars for video editing capabilities that I don't yet possess. It won't be like I had 5 years of GarageBand under my belt before I got the Logic Pro. I should probably think about opening up iMovie and start mucking around with it now before I purchase a new machine.
    Definitely start with iMovie but recognize its limitations....

Well, you can’t go wrong with a new machine! I wanted to install Final Cut on my iMac....but my OS is too old (topped out at High Sierra on this machine) meaning I’ll need to install FC on my one year old MBP (and have to squint a lot), put up DaVinci Resolve’s quirks or subscribe to Adobe Premiere. Decisions.

I'll probably do with iMovie like I did with GarageBand then.

So, I guess I need to start a thread on how to get started in iMovie, what forum do I put that in?

I'll probably do with iMovie like I did with GarageBand then.

So, I guess I need to start a thread on how to get started in iMovie, what forum do I put that in?
    Once you hit the limits of what iMovie can do, I just learned that there’s a free 90 day trial version of Final Cut Pro available. I downloaded that last night. Needed to update Catalina to its final version before Big Sur, tho.

I’ll try that for the 90 days before making a decision.

Maybe we could just start a new Whammy Bar thread - and invite @pc - he seems to have developed some skills in producing video!

Isn't this a "Woodshed" kind of topic?
    Striving to be ordinary

woodshed, videoshed, 6 of one, half dozen of another

hmm, maybe we should have a forum or subforum for video stuff?

woodshed, videoshed, 6 of one, half dozen of another

hmm, maybe we should have a forum or subforum for video stuff?
    I'd really like a video folder. I've never attempted to make one, and now I have the gear to do it. I'd post rarely in it, but I'd read anything posted there. I know we're the Fender forum, but most of us would use a Fender in some capacity. Again, my main concern is the time it'd take our blessed mod to do, more work.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I'd really like a video folder. I've never attempted to make one, and now I have the gear to do it. I'd post rarely in it, but I'd read anything posted there. I know we're the Fender forum, but most of us would use a Fender in some capacity. Again, my main concern is the time it'd take our blessed mod to do, more work.
    Maybe Whammy Bar isn’t quite the spot - making music videos is still very much related, and moreso if a Fender guitar is featured. Given that more than just a few of us are pivoting to video instead of live music, a Video sub forum makes the same sense as Live Sound sub forum. Or in a Recording sub forum so we also discuss audio. Yes, there’s specialty forums for this stuff elsewhere but not within this particular community of Fender guitar enthusiasts.
    I think it helps that we’re all very near total noobs at this - @pc aside!

Perhaps for now we start a thread in one of the Specialty sub forums? Actually looks like Soundcheck subforum covers our needs!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Maybe Whammy Bar isn’t quite the spot - making music videos is still very much related, and moreso if a Fender guitar is featured. Given that more than just a few of us are pivoting to video instead of live music, a Video sub forum makes the same sense as Live Sound sub forum. Or in a Recording sub forum so we also discuss audio. Yes, there’s specialty forums for this stuff elsewhere but not within this particular community of Fender guitar enthusiasts.
    I think it helps that we’re all very near total noobs at this - @pc aside!

Perhaps for now we start a thread in one of the Specialty sub forums? Actually looks like Soundcheck subforum covers our needs!
    Ah, yes. I do believe that will work.