Thread: I Hope Now We Can Respect Each Other Again When It Comes to ...

I Hope Now We Can Respect Each Other Again When It Comes to ...

Maple fretboards vs rosewood. We all knew we'd prefer one over the other.

Now, I like like them both. I''m on the fence. My brother? It's rosewood, doesn't even question what it means to support rosewood. My sister? maple fretboards--She says its's more transparent and ethical.

Listen, we all know that sound is in the pickups, so I'm considering using a concrete body.

Also, because I like maple necks, I believe in playing with feeling and don't need theory.

I like Tele-belly cuts. I just bought a 1959 Tele and used a chainsaw to cut a belly place. I'm using black gloss fingernail polish to refinish it. Shoplifted a case of it from CVS. Thanks, Maybelline.

I was going to have a tonepros bridge put in, but I prefer putting a BADASS bass tail on my Strat.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: I Hope Now We Can Respect Each Other Again When It Comes to ...

I'm going to put pickups from an early '70s Univox in my custom shop R0, because one can't get enough mud in one's life
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I'm going to put pickups from an early '70s Univox in my custom shop R0, because one can't get enough mud in one's life
    Now is the time to pull down the distortions and play clean with some Classic 57s.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

It's funny, and I can't explain it, but I prefer maple on my Fenders, but I like rosewood on my acoustics. Well, Ebony is my first choice, but that's nearly impossible to find (easier on non-Fenders, for some reason).
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    It's funny, and I can't explain it, but I prefer maple on my Fenders, but I like rosewood on my acoustics. Well, Ebony is my first choice, but that's nearly impossible to find (easier on non-Fenders, for some reason).
    I've gotten to where I like both maple and rosewood on my Fenders (bolt necks). On set necks, rosewood but I got to admit, I'm chilling to the ebony on my LPCs.

Then there is this. I saw it in a banner ad and for some reason, it utterly captivates me. I don't know what it is but maybe it's the arched/carved koa top and the ebony fingerboard. I've never heard of a Takamine costing this much before, they really aren't on my radar but I want Want WANT one of these

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...8ack-n-natural
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I like the look of maple, but the feel of rosewood. I bought my '70s Classic Strat because it has a rosewood fretboard. I cannot deal with small frets on a shiny maple fretboard.

You're all wrong. Maple and Rosewood are crap. I prefer splintered cedar necks. You can really dig in. You guys are what's wrong with Russia.

Maple, Rosewood. What finish do you prefer? How does Russia play into this? This smacks of too much politics for my taste.
    Last edited by vinyl; 11-07-2020 at 06:20 PM.

The last Gibson acoustic I bought has a Richlite fretboard. I really like it!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    Maple, Rosewood. What finish do you prefer? How does Russia play into this? This smacks of too much politics for my taste.
    I agree. That's why we've got to love maple and rosewood and each other! I was just being silly to break some tension. Did not intend to introduce more.

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    The last Gibson acoustic I bought has a Richlite fretboard. I really like it!
    It's taken me a long time to realize that if I like a guitar - how it plays and how it sounds - the rest is all superficial. Name on the headstock? Bah.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    It's taken me a long time to realize that if I like a guitar - how it plays and how it sounds - the rest is all superficial. Name on the headstock? Bah.
    I replaced my Gibson ES-335 with a Heritage H-535 this summer and don't even notice the headstock while playing.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I agree. That's why we've got to love maple and rosewood and each other! I was just being silly to break some tension. Did not intend to introduce more.
    What tensions are in play here? Everyone has a preference. Why try to create tension when none exists?

Maybe we need to love each other, or we just need to recognize that people have different opinions. Happy to recognize different opinions, that's everyone"s first amendment right.

If your intent was to introduce tension, then maybe you should have discussed shape or finish. I'm sure that could be discussed ad infinitum here.

I think I get what you're trying to do here. I'm happy to see any discussion here, but I don't think we need to artificially induce it.

I'd love to see more options for "southpaw" players. They are woefully left in the lurch.

I'd love to see more options for nitrocellulose finishes, or neck shapes for maple necks, but it's just my opinion. I'd be just as happy to see neck shapes with rosewood, ebony or pao ferro.

Who says what we prefer? Ultimately it will be what we actually buy.

vinyl, no I didn't intend trouble. I was exactly afraid my humor was causing problems.

I agree about understanding differences. I want peace between all of us.

But back to the humor or some approximation of it: I once lived in a town where mayoral candidates put rough cedar fbs on their guitars, and they decided who won by counting the number of splinters in the players' fingers after playing "Eruption". Quick infection was the wildcard. I still remember the year that Red Streak Ray won. He had 3 splinters and Hedgehog Holden had 99, but one of Red Streak Ray's got red streaks, and he won by default.

And the shark has officially been jumped.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    And the shark has officially been jumped.
    haha. I’ll stop now. Only serious posts because I don’t want to get in the way of all the serious posts we have. After all, humor or wotever I was trying to do detracts from our brain surgery level conversations.