Thread: Boogie combo - tubes?

Boogie combo - tubes?

'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one, but I figured I'd check just to make sure.
    I have a Boogie Rocket 44 amp, got it in 2000 or 2001.
    Recently, there's been issues with the sound fading in and out, sometimes with a staticky, crackling sound.
    Yesterday, I looked in the back of the amp, and one pair of EL84s is glowing very orange.
    I shut down, let things cool. Last night I swapped the pairs of tubes, and started playing it again.
    One of those origional tubes was glowing again, in its new spot.
    I presume it's time to change out the power tubes at this point?
    I don't want to spend a ton on new ones, tops would be $20 each. Looking at THe Tube Store there;'s a bunch of options.
    Are there any that are more or less recommended by the group brain? I don't play super high gain, I like to have a good clean and a nice crunch from the amp, though |I don't use the overdrive channel a lot - I usually use pedals for my dirt sound.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Re: Boogie combo - tubes?

are these still the original tubes? If so, 20 years of use actually isn't that bad. If you're lucky the problem might just be the tube, especially if it's replicating the same issue in a different socket.

Wish I knew more about present day tubes, I tend to be a vintage tube buyer myself. But then you're talking some money, probably easily triple digits for a matched quad.

The surest way would be to spend the money to take the amp to a tube amp experienced technician. Tubes aren't the only parts that can drift with age, but their failure can likely take other parts with them. It will probably cost you a couple bills and you still might need to buy tubes too. Just part of the nature of the beast when you live and work with tube amps.

I'd try to get some new i.e. modern tubes that are matched pairs and get two sets that are as close as you can. How much will that cost? I have no idea.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Boogie combo - tubes?

I think Mesa sells tested and re-labeled JJs for about twice the price.

Most vendors can sell you power tubes that are in the range specified for the bias setting in Mesa amps. You can ask for that.