Thread: Finding The Exact Year My Telecaster Was Made

Forum Member

Finding The Exact Year My Telecaster Was Made

When I throw my serial # into the Fender website, it tells me I have a 2004-2010 American Deluxe Telecaster. That's nice to know, but I want to know the exact year it was produced in the Corona factory. There is a 60th anniversary dot on the underside of the headstock, but it appears those 60th anniversary models were made over a number of years. Anyway, is there anything in the serial number that specifies the exact year the guitar rolled off the factory line? Unfortunately, the day and year I bought it at Guitar Center are kind of lost in a memory haze. Thanks for any help.

Re: Finding The Exact Year My Telecaster Was Made

For many Fenders, the year is encoded in the serial number.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

if you bought it new and never changed the wiring, the control pots have codes on them. Should help to narrow down build date
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

I think mine is pretty easy. It's a DZ6 + six numbers so it's a 2006. I just never bothered to find out the serial number format. Thanks for the info on that. I think my SCN pickups are from the Bill Lawrence era though. That seems to mean something, but the general consensus, from what I can tell, is that those pickups are kind of meh. I mostly play my guitar unplugged these days. I've come to like hearing it as an acoustic. It feels easier to me for hearing the musical intervals. I used to play through my amp mostly, but it's got a low static hum now that I can't stand. I'm working on getting the amp back in shape. I miss the warmth it brought to my guitar's clean tones. Anyway, too much information.
    Last edited by Toast; 11-02-2020 at 11:41 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    if you bought it new and never changed the wiring, the control pots have codes on them. Should help to narrow down build date
    Great info. I'll remember that.

Forum Member
    Originally from Watertown, N.Y. Have lived in the South Shore Massachusetts area, halfway between Boston and Cape Cod for the last 35 years.

I have found the Guitar Dater Project website to be very accurate on dating Fenders and fairly accurate on Gibson. It also has a pot code reader.

https://www.guitardaterproject.org/