Thread: My “New” Squier

My “New” Squier

Last weekend I inherited an old Squier Affinity Strat my wife found in her cellar. Today I picked up from my guitar guy...and it’s spectacular! He transferred the loaded pickguard from another Strat I have into this Squier and gave it a great set up. I installed the aftermarket tremolo myself. It’s got a big ol’ brass block on it.

Here are some before and after shots.

Before...

After...
    At what point does my 31 year old Strat become “vintage?”

Re: My “New” Squier

tell me more about the big brass block. That sounds like an upgrade I wouldn't mind for my Squier Strat and partsocaster.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Very nice. The MOT pick guard is a nice touch!

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    tell me more about the big brass block. That sounds like an upgrade I wouldn't mind for my Squier Strat and partsocaster.

I originally bought it as an upgrade for a Squier Jagmaster. I was looking for something that was a step up from the cheap feeling saddles and tremolo block of the Squier bridge. This was definitely an upgrade.

I’ve got to be honest, I have no idea if I can hear any difference, but that’s more a reflection of my non-discerning ear than it is the tremolo. It definitely feels a lot more solid and better quality than the Squier tremolo.

I wish I could link to where I got it for you, but it was years ago. I can’t remember, and I don’t have the invoice anymore. It might have been https://www.guitarpartsfactory.us/, but they don’t currently list this tremolo.

Since I’m passing the Jagmaster on to a friend, I swapped it from the Jag to this strat! Why should my buddy get the better tremolo?!

EDITED TO ADD: The most important thing about this tremolo unit is that the tremolo block is shallow enough for the thinner Affinity body. That was the biggest hurdle in looking for an upgrade for the Affinity series strats.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Very nice. The MOT pick guard is a nice touch!
    Yeah, it really pops against the blue. I wish I knew what this color was called. I’ve also got a Robert Cray strat in violet (which looks like is no longer offered). From a distance the two look very similar, but up close it’s clear the Cray is more purple. This pickguard and the pups were originally mounted on the Cray!