Thread: Stompbox for headphone practice with aux input

Forum Member

Stompbox for headphone practice with aux input

I have a Fender Champion amp that has an aux input and a headphone jack, as many small amps do these days. I find it really useful to practice quietly (with headphones), plugging in both my guitar and the output from my iPad, enabling me to listen to online YouTube lessons while I practice along. That works great when I'm in front of my amp, but I would like to be able to do the same thing when I am away from my amp. What is a simple way to accomplish this? I imagine there must be a stomp box that will let me plug in my guitar, iPad and headphones. What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Stompbox for headphone practice with aux input

I'm not quite sure what you're asking for. I have and use a wireless transmitter/receiver pair so I don't have to worry about a cable between my guitar and amp, but if you're asking for a remote with two channels, I'm not sure there is such a thing.

I don't plug in earphones to my amps, so I can't completely relate to your situation. On the other hand, I have a Line6 AMPLIFi 30 that has an app I can connect my phone/tablet to it via Bluetooth, and my wi-fi guitar-amp setup, which would give me hands-free everything, except I'd still have to plug in my headphones. What am I missing?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I once spent a lot of time looking for what you are describing. What does work for me (but costs more) is the BeatBuddy which has a headphone jack.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I think you might do well with something like the
    Vox plug in headphone amps. You plug them into your guitar, hook up headphones, and you're golden.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...one-guitar-amp
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Sorry if my original post wasn't clear enough. I want to be able to do silent practicing via headphones, and be able to also feed YouTube from my iPad into the headphones along with my guitar. I was looking for one, small "box" that will let me do that.

The Vox AmPlug looks like a great suggestion. Somehow I was picturing a pedal-sized solution and assumed that something like that must exist (I don't need extra features like recording interface, etc). But the Vox AmPlug may be the closest thing. Maybe I need to create this myself, packaged in a pedalboard sized stompbox!

A small mixer would do the job nicely. I used a setup like that for a number of years.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    A small mixer would do the job nicely. I used a setup like that for a number of years.
    OK, so I can use a small mixer (something like this) and not need anything else? I assume the pre-amp in the mixer powers the headphones?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...enyx-502-mixer

Forum Member

This also looks like it could work: Yamaha Session Cake.
    Has anyone used one?

https://reverb.com/item/31048509-yam...or-guitar-bass

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyWilly View Post
    OK, so I can use a small mixer (something like this) and not need anything else? I assume the pre-amp in the mixer powers the headphones?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...enyx-502-mixer
    Yep - the small Behringer is a good example of the type of thing I was recommending. There's a headphone preamp built into these types of mixers. Dead simple.

This also looks like it could work: Yamaha Session Cake.
    Has anyone used one?

https://reverb.com/item/31048509-yam...or-guitar-bass

Never used one (or frankly heard of this product before now) but it looks like it would suit what you're doing. They seem to have the ability to link multiple units together for group monitoring (and where each person controls the "more me" mix). Kind of like an AUX channel on a standard mixer.

For the same money though, a mixer like the Behringer you linked to above would give you what you need and some more flexibility beyond that Yamaha Cake (like the ability to plug in a vocal mic and/or use different routing options).

I guess the question now - going back to your OP - is how far away from your amp do you see yourself using a setup like this? Like while travelling or just while in another room?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    I guess the question now - going back to your OP - is how far away from your amp do you see yourself using a setup like this? Like while travelling or just while in another room?
    I will be spending a few months in a different state. My Fender Champion is in my current location, and in the new location, I will have an amp that has no aux input or headphone jack. Therefore I am looking for a simple, portable solution for quiet (headphone) practicing along with YouTube lessons.

if you're using a computer to access youtube, all you need is a USB powered audio interface with a headphone out. The advantage of that method is that most DAW have copious sims, models and effects you can use while playing along. Plus you can learn how to record, too.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    if you're using a computer to access youtube, all you need is a USB powered audio interface with a headphone out. The advantage of that method is that most DAW have copious sims, models and effects you can use while playing along. Plus you can learn how to record, too.
    Yep - along with the portability requirement, you probably want some sort of guitar amp modelling, either in between the guitar and computer OR in the computer itself. A small mixer won't help you here.

If you have a smartphone, the iRig unit is good for that. Along with a relatively inexpensive app installed on the phone and you're good to go. The iRig I have requires a headphone jack to work. The new iPhones don't have a jack, but you can buy a 1/8" stereo to lightning adapter. Can also use this with a tablet or a laptop.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/product...2/?pkey=irig-2

As for apps, take your pick....Amplitube, Bias FX and so on. Some good, inexpensive iOS/Android apps. The non-mobile apps tend to be a bit more expensive.

In the actual stomp box form factor, something like the Zoom G3N would work, too. A bit more bulky than the iRig, but a lot more options. The G2Nu looks interesting, but no AUX in. It's too bad the Zoom MS-50G didn't have a headphone out and an AUX in. Then it would fit in your guitar case.

Forum Member

LOTS of great suggestions here. I may try getting a DAW or mixer in the future. But for now, I found the solution using GarageBand!

I had been using my original iRig with the Tonebridge app which doesn't appear to offer the ability to run the app in the background. But then I tried my iRig using GarageBand on my iPad, and it DOES offer the ability to run in the background. Plus it has lots of amp and effects models built in. I can select my tone in GarageBand, then switch to YouTube or any other app, and play along. Brilliant!

My older iPad still has a headphone jack, so it's plug-and-play.

Thanks for all your helpful ideas!

Garageband is a DAW, so you're all set. I used it for a good number of years and got my feet wet with it. Later (last year) I decided I had gone about as far as I could so I upgraded to Logic Pro X. One of my better decisions. I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do and it seems like every week I learn something new it can do.

I don't have the portability requirements you do but I live in an apartment with paper thin walls. I haven't plugged into an amp since January A couple months ago I found out I can play anything on my computer and play along with it via my audio interface. And I can add effects virtually or via stomp boxes before my interface to help better match what I'm playing along with.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

LOTS of great suggestions here. I may try getting a DAW or mixer in the future. But for now, I found the solution using GarageBand!

I had been using my original iRig with the Tonebridge app which doesn't appear to offer the ability to run the app in the background. But then I tried my iRig using GarageBand on my iPad, and it DOES offer the ability to run in the background. Plus it has lots of amp and effects models built in. I can select my tone in GarageBand, then switch to YouTube or any other app, and play along. Brilliant!

My older iPad still has a headphone jack, so it's plug-and-play.

Thanks for all your helpful ideas!
    Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Garageband is a DAW, so you're all set. I used it for a good number of years and got my feet wet with it. Later (last year) I decided I had gone about as far as I could so I upgraded to Logic Pro X. One of my better decisions. I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do and it seems like every week I learn something new it can do.

I don't have the portability requirements you do but I live in an apartment with paper thin walls. I haven't plugged into an amp since January A couple months ago I found out I can play anything on my computer and play along with it via my audio interface. And I can add effects virtually or via stomp boxes before my interface to help better match what I'm playing along with.
    I'm at 100% silent recording/practice these days (Logic, interface and headphones). I'm in a basement man cave with concrete walls. Even still, when I record vocals and acoustic guitar, I feel somewhat self-conscious due to the extra "noise". Wasn't always that way!

Last edited by dirtdog; 10-30-2020 at 03:05 PM. Reason: duplicate