Thread: Hotrod Deville ML

Forum Member

Hotrod Deville ML

Hi all, I have recently bought a Hotrod Deville ML. Great amp I must say, but yesterday it blew a fuse. I replaced the fuse but I am told that it should be a SLO blow fuse but the Manual says the fuse is F1.6A.

I am told that this is not a slo blow fuse. Just wondering if anyone can clear this up for me. Should I be using SLO blow fuses or not.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Hotrod Deville ML

That's a fast blow fuse. I would not replace it with a slow blow fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    That's a fast blow fuse. I would not replace it with a slow blow fuse.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by guitar_gazza View Post
    Hi all, I have recently bought a Hotrod Deville ML. Great amp I must say, but yesterday it blew a fuse. I replaced the fuse but I am told that it should be a SLO blow fuse but the Manual says the fuse is F1.6A.

I am told that this is not a slo blow fuse. Just wondering if anyone can clear this up for me. Should I be using SLO blow fuses or not.

Thanks in advance.
    My question would be what happened after you replaced it?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    Agree.

My question would be what happened after you replaced it?
    After I replaced it with the fuse stated in the manual and the same as the one that came out of the amp, a F1.6A, the amp powered up but it blew again shortly afterwards. I found that I had a faulty power tube. I replaced both power tubes, 6L6 tubes and replaced the fuse again and BINGO, that was the problem. The amp is now running fine with a fast blow fuse and new power tubes.

The thing is, I have a friend with a couple of vintage Fenders and they both have SLO blow fuses, so Fender must have changed somewhere along the line with the fuses they use.

Quote Originally Posted by guitar_gazza View Post
    After I replaced it with the fuse stated in the manual and the same as the one that came out of the amp, a F1.6A, the amp powered up but it blew again shortly afterwards. I found that I had a faulty power tube. I replaced both power tubes, 6L6 tubes and replaced the fuse again and BINGO, that was the problem. The amp is now running fine with a fast blow fuse and new power tubes.

The thing is, I have a friend with a couple of vintage Fenders and they both have SLO blow fuses, so Fender must have changed somewhere along the line with the fuses they use.
    The bias should be checked with the new power tubes. If the tubes were selected with a mid-range rating, they might be fine w/o checking bias.

I was unaware that any Fender amps used fast blow fuses. I'm surprised they didn't emphasis that in the manual or on the amp. I had a Soldano that said "DO NOT USE SLO-BLO" on the back of the amp.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    The bias should be checked with the new power tubes. If the tubes were selected with a mid-range rating, they might be fine w/o checking bias.

I was unaware that any Fender amps used fast blow fuses. I'm surprised they didn't emphasis that in the manual or on the amp. I had a Soldano that said "DO NOT USE SLO-BLO" on the back of the amp.
    Actually I checked the manual first and it specified F1.6A, which I think is a fast blow. The power tubes (6L6) are MESA tubes. They were a set I had as spares as I used to have a Mesa/Boogie Mark III. I was always been under the impression that most amps used SLO blow fuses. Can't remember now what fuses the Boogie had.

I also have a Mesa Triaxis, I'll have to check what fuse is in that. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by guitar_gazza; 10-28-2020 at 10:37 PM.