Thread: Lawn care thread

Lawn care thread

We've talked about our hobbies here so many times - I suspect that some of you (us) enjoy the fine art of lawn care and lawn care devices. If you enjoy a good lawn mower - post yours here.

I'll start... Toro Zero Turn rider and Toro all wheel drive for trim... The Zero turn is 23 HP so it really blasts along - the AWD lets me hit up the hillside with little effort!

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: Lawn care thread

Another Toro self propelled owner here. I’ve got the 6.5hp SR4 model. Works great. At our current place, we have it landscaped such that there’s very little lawn (central, urban location). Live on a corner lot so have grass outside the fence that I need to care for. Takes me maybe 20 minutes to mow. When we moved from our last place (way more lawn), I left behind the gas lawnmower. When we moved here, I bought a cordless. Hated it, never had enough torque. So got the Toro. Do my trimming with a gas powered Poulan strimmer.

Growing up we lived on a few acres and being the oldest boy, it was my Saturday job to mow the lawn. We had a Cadet Cub riding mower, thankfully.

At my cottage, I had an acre to mow once a year. The “grass” was thin due to sandy soil, but it needed a trim in June and that was it. An old ‘70s GE electric mower came with the property when we bought it and I swear to god it was nuclear powered compared to newer corded and cordless mowers. That thing kicked butt. When we sold the cottage last year, we left the mower behind.

I gave my last lawnmower to the girl who took care of my mom. If we can get a house again, I'll be interested in that AWD type mower.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Next year I'm replacing my small townhome front yard with an all-mulch spread. The weeds have beaten me after three years of seeding, weeding, and even having new sod laid.

Funny thing: My dad used to make me mow the lawn. As I grew up, I wound up either living in apartments, dormitories, and condos. Lawn care was never mine to worry about. Then, when I had finally "made it," I bought the traditional house in the suburbs, lawns (front and rear) included. I dutifully tended to it, and loved it. Until I didn't.

Since I sold that house and downsized, lawns have become more of a nuisance than a pleasure. I started in my current home afresh: new sod, shrubs and flowers.

I'm keeping the shrubs and flowers.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I used the "Slick" model of mower--Slick is my baldheaded and denture-forgetting yard man who mows and does the weed eating. I battled terrible equipment for years, and I finally gave up. The guy charges me $30 a week, and it's worth every penny. He keeps my place looking beautiful. I do the hedge trimming and other yard jobs, and it's great therapy. It's been rainy and muddy here a few days. When it dries back up, I'll get back outside.

I posted pics here of my new front-of-the-house shrubs--compact Japanese Holly. I painted my front porch and door, pressure washed the house, added plants to my front porch, and a few other fix ups---the city estimated my house as being worth $40,000 more than it had been appraised for. And of course, my taxes went up up up. If I'd replaced the roof, I might have just had to give the city my place???? ha ha. Where I live, property taxes are really low anyway. Nice to know I impressed the assessor.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I've got a small yard- a little over 1/4 acre and I'm not into taking care of it much. My mower is an old Craftsman 6.5hp push mower. I just got back in from mulching the first of the leaves with it.
    Before the pandemic, we had made plans with a landscaper to start taking care of our yard, but, even though we're doing well, my wife works in the corporate travel industry and that job could go away at any time (though she's really busy), so we decided to put that on hold.

Back at the beginning of spring we purchased a new Toro super-recycler mower like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Back at the beginning of spring we purchased a new Toro super-recycler mower like this one.

Laker, that is one bad@ss looking mower!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

WE have about 3/4 of an acre and I could have gotten a bit smaller rider with no problem, but I feel that underutilizing a bigger machine is better than abusing a smaller one. If I'm in a hurry I can blast the whole yard with just the rider in about an hour, or spend half a day - first with the string trimmer, then the smaller mower for trimming around trees and then the main event. I have always love doing hety yard, especially with the Zero-turn mower - it's a blast to drive.