Thread: Boo! It's Halloween Sunday, 2020

Boo! It's Halloween Sunday, 2020

Yawn. Good morning. Gone is the delightful weather of last week, and here is the dreary, chilly, rainy weather of Autumn. The clouds and the rain are going to keep it from getting any warmer today, so it looks like a good day to stay in.

Did I tell you I'm loving my new Taylor? Well, I'm telling you again. It looks like I'll be spending some quality time with it today. I've got my hot coffee, a warm screen saver on my TV (it's better than a fireplace!), some good tunes playing in the background, and I'm settling in for a restful day.

I hope everyone else is enjoying themselves today. I don't know if we'll have Trick-o-Treaters this year, but I bought a bag of lollipops just in case...
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Boo! It's Halloween Sunday, 2020

Since I retired, I have no sense of what day it is. I thought, "Why is Fred posting this on Saturday?" Maybe I'm ready for an actual pasture.

I have a lot to do today, but I have time to try recording something. Logic Pro X and the Apollo twin interface. I'm struggling with the technology; I know there's a hump I'll reach at some point in my learning about it all, and then it'll get easy, and I'll be able to use the features I need. I get anxious, for no good reason and that's why it's a bitch, when I face some difficulty like I'm facing with the Apollo and Logic. So I'll do my best to force myself to sit down to it. Once I do, I'll get into it. It's that initial plunge that messes me up.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

It’s another overcast, dreary day here with temps in the low 30s so if you toss the Covid situation into the picture it will be another day of inactivity. No weekly jam session to run, no gigs to play, and bars/restaurants are at 25% capacity...bummer!

I picked up a ‘71 Sportster that has been sitting idle for (I’m guessing) 35 years and that’s sitting in my friend’s shop as he goes through the engine to make sure everything is still AOK with it. We redid this bike as our first project when we opened a shop together back in ‘83 and I don’t believe it has been driven 800 miles since then.

It's going to be cooler today. I need to get out and cut the grass today - the leaves are piling up and I'll be using the bagger for sure! Busy week planned - work is picking up. I also got "voluntold" that I was going to chair a search committee for a new Executive Director for Discovering Amistad, an organization that I sit on the board of directors for. I suspect that will take up some additional time. Still hoping my Trex delivery arrives soon - I need to button up my deck so I can move all the furniture back.

The Amistad is one amazing ship - here is a pic I took the day we sailed her to the shipyard to get cleaned and repainted.

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

A little overcast here, only supposed to be mid 70's today.
    Now that our grand daughter's back home, she, as well as her mom have been shooting with us, I have to load for 3 now! Fortunately, I cast bullets, and loaded all calibers back in the spring, before the current primer shortage. I never have been in a situation where I didn't have primers and powder when I needed them, but I wish I had more on hand now!

Brilliant sunny, cloudless and colourful fall day but COLD...hovering just about the freezing mark...but will warm up a little bit. Wife just asked me to turn the furnace on. Have a ton of leaf raking to do today.

Finishing off making and installing some low budget acoustic panels for my recording space, and tweaking my video recording space. I laid down some scratch tracks for my cover of The Clash’s Spanish Bombs (one of my fave tunes from that band). Once I have all the scratch tracks tweaked to my liking, I’ll record “good” audio and video and edit it all together. Except for drums, I’ll play all the bits myself. I programmed the drums using EZ Drummer. My singing voice had sucked since damaging my vocal chords somehow a few years back (likely from loud gigs and poor vocal technique) but I’ll see what I can cobble together.

This effort is a proof of concept for original stuff I’m doing with my band. It’s going rather slowly and I want to sharpen my editing skills before working on the full band stuff. Solidify the workflow.

@ch_willie - let me know what you’re struggling with in Logic. I’ll see if I can walk you through the issues you’re having. I don’t have an Apollo but that shouldn’t matter.

I was actually up fairly early (for me) on a Sunday, in spite of not going to bed early. I was still charged up from an exciting baseball game ... yeah, I know some people think that's an oxymoron . I don't have a horse in that race but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

brr, just checked the weather, it's only in the 40s maybe making it up to mid-50s later. Just saw the dreaded * for Friday. Lows in the 20s. Eeek. Tree outside our living room window went from full wednesday to almost completely bare today.

Got a feeling that I'll be staying in more soon. I turned away from two places last night because their seats were too full for my liking. Meanwhile community transmission is drastically increasing. I'll still be getting out to walk but I won't be going to bars and restaurants very much. Still expecting another shutdown before long.

Thinking some biscuits and gravy sounds good. Gotta go before the grill gets shut off.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

We had a weird week! We received a letter from a towing company in Connecticut asking for $1500 plus in towing and storage fees for a car that we sold two years ago! They said that my wife was the last to register the car and she was the owner as far as the RMV was concerned unless we could prove otherwise with a bill of sale. It turns out that this is true! The buyer never registered the car, so a VIN check shows that it's my wife's car.

We contacted the police department that the towing yard received the car from and they referred us to the police department where the car was stolen. Luckily, the person who bought it from us reported it stolen, said she never registered it and showed the police the title where my wife signed the car over to her. We're off the hook. Unfortunately, she's on the hook and is less able to deal with the fees than we are.

Forum Member

Don, no one has to pay the bill, basically the letter is to satisfy the legal requirements to get a legal title, and dispose of the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Don, no one has to pay the bill, basically the letter is to satisfy the legal requirements to get a legal title, and dispose of the vehicle.
    That's good to know. The second guy at towing yard seemed pretty relaxed about it.

Been a quiet and peaceful Sunday here.

Two weeks to go before the wedding, I'm happy and enjoying the peace I am finally achieving in my life.

Spent the day with SWMBO watching our latest favorite TV show (Bosch, on Amazon Prime), and I took some time to refinish a corner coffee table with an old batch of Tru Oil I had bought a while ago, when I had a faded Gibson SG that I planned to refinish. Never did, as I never really bonded with that guitar and sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Been a quiet and peaceful Sunday here.

Two weeks to go before the wedding, I'm happy and enjoying the peace I am finally achieving in my life.

Spent the day with SWMBO watching our latest favorite TV show (Bosch, on Amazon Prime), and I took some time to refinish a corner coffee table with an old batch of Tru Oil I had bought a while ago, when I had a faded Gibson SG that I planned to refinish. Never did, as I never really bonded with that guitar and sold it.
    Bosch rawks!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    We had a weird week! We received a letter from a towing company in Connecticut asking for $1500 plus in towing and storage fees for a car that we sold two years ago! They said that my wife was the last to register the car and she was the owner as far as the RMV was concerned unless we could prove otherwise with a bill of sale. It turns out that this is true! The buyer never registered the car, so a VIN check shows that it's my wife's car.

We contacted the police department that the towing yard received the car from and they referred us to the police department where the car was stolen. Luckily, the person who bought it from us reported it stolen, said she never registered it and showed the police the title where my wife signed the car over to her. We're off the hook. Unfortunately, she's on the hook and is less able to deal with the fees than we are.
    Years ago my daughter was in a relationship with a real a-holio who couldn't register a car in his name (something to do with jail), so she put it in her name. Then she gets a bill from a towing company that if she doesn't pay $850, they are going to keep her car. She told them to take it!

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Bosch rawks!
    Yes! It's a very good show. I love the L.A. sightings and the "low BS" plot. Titus is also a very good actor, he plays a cool, low profile detective (compared to other police and investigation based shows and sitcoms).

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Years ago my daughter was in a relationship with a real a-holio who couldn't register a car in his name (something to do with jail), so she put it in her name. Then she gets a bill from a towing company that if she doesn't pay $850, they are going to keep her car. She told them to take it!
    This was a car that we ran into the ground then sold in need of repair for $800 (she, her husband and the mechanic friend who was going to repair it showed up to look at the car back then). It's definitely not worth her getting it back. It's odd that, in two years of owning the car, she never registered it, but the keys were in her purse (the purse was stolen with the keys in it, days before the car was stolen). I don't know if she was driving it with attached plates. This all happened two hours from here.