Thread: Blocking a Trem

Blocking a Trem

I want to block the trem on my son's MIM Strat. On page 67 of Dan's book it shows how. My question is, if you have the cavity totally filled with the block and the sustain block is pushed as far forward as possible, why leave the springs on.

BTW I,m doing this for him because he keeps changing tuning and it becomes unstable and takes forever to retune if you go back to a std. tuning. He never uses the trem any more.

Thanks for any info.

brianf
    Last edited by brianf; 08-01-2002 at 11:54 AM.
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

Registered
    How about sticking 5 springs in and tightening the claw all the way, the bridge most probably won't move that way.

Originally posted by Dave Paetow
    How about sticking 5 springs in and tightening the claw all the way, the bridge most probably won't move that way.
    Stevie Style...

That's how I set mine up. I have 4 trem springs and tighten the claw until the bridge goes flush with the body. You only get unidirectional movement out of the whambulator (had to steal Big Al's term), but I rarely use it.
    Jason
    The Bear Guy

I'll try it guys. Thanks!!!

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

Originally posted by Dave Paetow
    Did that to both my strats and it works just fine.

Re: Blocking a Trem

Originally posted by brianf
    I want to block the trem on my son's MIM Strat. On page 67 of Dan's book it shows how. My question is, if you have the cavity totally filled with the block and the sustain block is pushed as far forward as possible, why leave the springs on.

brianf
    Some folks think the springs sound cool, even when you don't use the trem. I've heard them called a "little reverb tank." You can definitely hear them acoustically when you play a strat unplugged, so it would reason they come through at least somewhat plugged in, too.
    --Carson

http://www.riscchip.com

Forum Member
    I agree with the above post. I use four springs on my Strats (10ga. strings). I tighten the claw down just enough to keep the bridge flat against the body when I do bends. I don't really see a need for a block.

FWIW I've always used a stack of coins to block a trem. Just figure out how many you need then tape them in a roll and wedge them in. I honestly don't remember who turned me on to this but it works great.

John,
    Originally posted by John Catto
    FWIW I've always used a stack of coins to block a trem. Just figure out how many you need then tape them in a roll and wedge them in. I honestly don't remember who turned me on to this but it works great.
    Interesting idea--but do different demoninations impact the tone? Would the soft copper of pennies sound different than the bright nickle of...nickles? Would half dollars sound fatter? Would it be considered double-diming if someone plugged a strat with a roll of dimes into a Marshall Stack turned up to ten?

OK, I'll stop now. Just wanted to give you my (wait for it..) two cents. :spin

Ed
    Last edited by Ed Driscoll; 08-01-2002 at 04:58 PM.

I reccomend the 5 spring, tighten the claw route too.