Thread: D'Angelico, Anyone?

D'Angelico, Anyone?

I rarely, if ever, see anyone posting about D'Angelico guitars. Yet, they appear on Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day often. According to Wikipedia, D'Angelico guitars have been used by players such as Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton, Bucky Pizzarelli and others. The company also makes guitar-related accessories, and has been in business (although not by the same owners) since 1932.

So, why do we not hear and read more about this brand? In some ways, they are iconic; their archtop guitars seem to be the hallmark of the company, and their heritage seems complete. What's the deal?

(Bob Weir model)
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: D'Angelico, Anyone?

They're designed in America but made in Korea. US custom shop builds start around $4000 retail.

I considered one for years, and despite their Korean pedigree now, they're fantastic looking guitars. I've seen vids of stock ones that sound very good.

Honestly though, I'd not buy the Korean made one--you can get a similar Epiphone cheaper.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Hmm. If they were made in North Korea I could understand the pushback. But there are many quality South Korean brands -- Daewoo, Hyundai, LG, to name just a few -- so I don't understand why a Korean-made guitar would in of itself be dismissed?
    Striving to be ordinary

The pushback isn’t Korea. It’s the higher price for what is basically an Epiphone.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ah. OK, thanks.

It makes sense then, that Musician's Friend offers them via the SDOD. The price cut brings them into line with Epiphone pricing (I think).
    Striving to be ordinary