Thread: Wait No More - The Sunday Thread Is Here!

Wait No More - The Sunday Thread Is Here!

I waited and I waited, and still no Sunday thread appeared. So I took it upon myself (again) to start our now-traditional "check-in" thread.

I had a full week of training punctuated by periods of playing my new Taylor. I love that guitar! This week I will be doing a training Wednesday through Friday, which is a switch, but this is being paid for by a customer, so that's what they want and that's what they'll get.

Tomorrow is my birthday. I really don't care anymore. My daughter reached out to me and asked me what I'd like. I'm pretty hard to shop for because when I want something, I just go and buy it (have you seen my guitar room?). I told her my deepest wish was to see my grandkids. She told me my one year-old grandson is now walking. I want to see that! I think we'll defy the "social distancing" rules (if I could get my hands around the neck of the person who came up with that term. It's just PHYSICAL distancing made "woke") and get together next weekend. We'll see.

Autumn is here. The morning temperatures is just a few degrees above freezing. We haven't yet had the first frost, but it's only a matter of time. Unpacking the sweaters may be a good idea today.

Have a great Sunday and week ahead.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Wait No More - The Sunday Thread Is Here!

I was right behind you - probably would be starting a thread right now if you hadn't beaten me to it. It is a rare day when I sleep in until 8. I sympathize with you on visiting your family. I'm torn wit hthat, myself. It's only been a year since I found out that my mother was alive and that I had siblings. I've gotten together with my brother several times - he lives a couple hours away. My mom and sister live in Santa Clarita, CA so it's a long flight to go see them. Mom turns 90 in January and they really want me to be there to help celebrate, but my suspicion is that COVID is going to be really bad this winter. I am torn with wanting to see her, but afraid I might inadvertently bring her the disease. No easy answer. Today I'm going to work on the project that refuses to die - my deck... Most of eth structural stuff is done, but the two inches of rain we got pointed out a really bad deep spot right up against the house. Water collected there around 3 inches deep, so I'm filling it in with a bunch of topsoil. After that, I have a new tablet to review. It's a cheap Chinese tablet (the company is Mymahdi) - the specs seem OK, but it appears to be built like crap. We'll see.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Happy Birthday tomorrow, Fred. You're going to enjoy the age of 39--just like Jack Benny. And remember, a birthday might not be a big deal for you anymore, but your family loves you, and celebrating you means something to them. I sound like I'm giving you a lecture: I'm not. I just want you to enjoy being celebrated.

My daughter and her new boyfriend are coming today. I met him over Facetime, and he seems like a nice guy. We were joking and I said, "If you weren't making my daughter happy, I'd come down there and meet you." We laughed, but he knew I was half serious. ha ha. He is all right, I think, but I have to be The Papa. I'm really excited about their visit.

Raining like hell here, but I'm hoping I can grill between the raindrops.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Life goes on here on the western shore of Lake Michigan with a day that begins as grey, rain/snow, and frost on the windows of the car that sits outside. We had the first city leaf pick last Thursday and , thanks to the 20+ ash trees in the yard and very high wind days since, looks like we haven't started cleaning the yard yet. That is going to change as a crew should be here soon to take down ten of the trees and next year we will lose the remaining trees. Thank you Emerald Ash Borer!

This looks like a quiet day but my wife and I are celebrating her last chemo session this coming Wednesday. Hope all have a great day!

Just sliding into my second coffee here at the “crack of nine” in the Deep North. Grey but quiet day after a few days of sunny, windy weather.

Going to finish my basement workshop cleanup job - took a load of crap to the dump yesterday.

Finalizing Mark XIV of my home studio setup. Moved to a Mackie Big Knob Studio interface after experiments with Focusrite 6i6 and SSL2+. This new unit is Da Bomb. Also have incorporated an Ampeg SCR-DI and an Arturia MicroBrute 2 into the setup. Removed the Line6 TT modeller (was getting too clunky to use).

All this to accommodate my workflow with my band where we’re asynchronously recording video and audio, doing a bunch of editing in post and uploading the content to YouTube (eventually). Similar to what pc is doing. Also have the same plan but just for some solo stuff with me on multiple instruments.

Have also incorporated a nice fabric hanging backdrop and some cool lighting (LED smart bulbs) where I can control colour and intensity from my phone. It’s a pretty budget setup but I’m getting decent results. I use a Canon EOS Rebel T7 with a 18-55 lens for recording the video. Logic Pro X for recording audio.

Happy tomorrow Birthday OS!

My mom is now in an assisted living facility (and has early dementia). With Covid, getting her settled and getting in for support visits has been tricky. The province (Ontario) put my city (Ottawa) back into the RED stage last week. LTC and assisted living homes have gotten strict restrictions. I’ve put myself into “double-secret” isolation since getting a diagnosis of lymphoma a few weeks back. I’m not as concerned of bringing something into the home as I am picking something while I’m there. It’s a tightrope walk for sure. And I’m sitting here waiting for the results of the diagnostics for lymphoma staging. Looking like it’s Stage 3 but doc has not finalized that clinically just yet. Fun!
    Last edited by dirtdog; 10-18-2020 at 06:52 AM.

Thanks, Bill. Your daughter has a new boyfriend? More than one proud papa has been found sitting, cleaning his gun as boyfriend enters the room. Here's a helpful video for you:

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

hmm, a sunday thread first thing in the morning ... oh, wait, it's 1 o'clock in the afternoon. I really slept in today barely getting up before noon.

been playing the new guitar a lot. It's got the fattest neck of my collection, I'm sure, and it's so damn comfortable. Quite loud acoustically, too. It sounds so rock and roll. I'm rewriting my CL ad for its predecessor, so far only trade offers. Plus people don't seem to go past the current day's listings and I won't be one of those guys who repost their ads every day without taking the old ones down. hate that.

dirtdog - good luck with the lympho and with your mom. Covid is flaring up in my city, they haven't gone back to full lockdown yet at the nursing home but I expect it any day now. I'm scaling back my going out as the bars and restaurants are getting busier as the weather gets colder and there's less outdoor-friendly weather. I've even balked at a couple places when I saw how crowded they were. We are getting multiple reports of outbreaks exposing/infecting dozens of people. One was caused by a person who know they were infected and broke quarantine anyway to go sing karaoke. Now that place is closed, at least 2 of their employees have tested positive.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Thanks, Bill. Your daughter has a new boyfriend? More than one proud papa has been found sitting, cleaning his gun as boyfriend enters the room. Here's a helpful video for you:

Yeah, I'm a bad ass. I've cooked a big meal for them and treated him like one of my kids. I'm doing this thing all wrong. lol
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Filled in the hole under the deck, and while we were at it we gave Fred a final resting place. I would love to see what happens around 20 years from now when somebody goes to replace the deck and finds....

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

AWESOME!

Even if it does result in a short visit by the local constabulary in the distant future, I'm sure it'll be laugh once they figure out its fake!

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Filled in the hole under the deck, and while we were at it we gave Fred a final resting place. I would love to see what happens around 20 years from now when somebody goes to replace the deck and finds....

heh heh heh
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"