Thread: Maverick Dorado question

Forum Member

Maverick Dorado question

I recently bought a new Maverick Dorado. Love the guitar except for one thing: can't keep in tune if I use the Bigsby a lot, which is a common issue with Bigsbys. I've tried a couple things; installed locking tuners, Nut Sauce on the bridge and nut, new strings, without much luck. Now I'm going to try replacing the stock tune-o-matic type bridge with a roller bridge.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the stock bridge? Will a roller bridge for a Les Paul fit?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Dan, aka Coot

Forum Member

Re: Maverick Dorado question

Out of the box, my new Maverick had terrible tuning issues — so much so that I called Fender about it and even considered sending it back. Could not play even briefly without going out of tune whether using the Bigsby or not. I really liked the guitar otherwise and decided to try and solve it. After scouring the web (how I found this thread) and finding a total lack of info on this particular guitar I decided to take a shot anyway. Your mileage may vary, and please consult a qualified tech if you’re uncomfortable doing any of this yourself — but here’s how I ended up fixing mine and making it my #1 guitar — very solid tuning now, and vibrato down half steps with no issues at all:

First attempt - full set up including (my tech did this)
    1) small neck shim
    2) slight fanning of nut slots on tuner side of nut
    3) re-string with Stringjoy Signature 9.5-46

better, but still not very good…

Round 2 (did myself)
    4) install BiggsFix V3 (make sure to use the setting that leaves some break angle)
    5) install BiggsFix Super Squishy spring

way better, but still not great…

Round 3 (did myself)
    6) re-strung using the TOP set of holes in the headstock string tree (reducing that angle)
    7) use a string-locking wrap on the tuning posts with a minimal number of total wraps (stretch, stretch, stretch those strings)
    8) play a LOT to break it all in and settle things down

Success! This is a fantastic guitar! I hope this might help somebody. PS - I have no affiliation with any of these products/vendors.

Thanks for contributing, gumby. Even if the thread is somewhat aged, I like how you hopped right in to help. Welcome to TFF!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Out of the box, my new Maverick had terrible tuning issues — so much so that I called Fender about it and even considered sending it back. Could not play even briefly without going out of tune whether using the Bigsby or not. I really liked the guitar otherwise and decided to try and solve it. After scouring the web (how I found this thread) and finding a total lack of info on this particular guitar I decided to take a shot anyway. Your mileage may vary, and please consult a qualified tech if you’re uncomfortable doing any of this yourself — but here’s how I ended up fixing mine and making it my #1 guitar — very solid tuning now, and vibrato down half steps with no issues at all:

First attempt - full set up including (my tech did this)
    1) small neck shim
    2) slight fanning of nut slots on tuner side of nut
    3) re-string with Stringjoy Signature 9.5-46

better, but still not very good…

Round 2 (did myself)
    4) install BiggsFix V3 (make sure to use the setting that leaves some break angle)
    5) install BiggsFix Super Squishy spring

way better, but still not great…

Round 3 (did myself)
    6) re-strung using the TOP set of holes in the headstock string tree (reducing that angle)
    7) use a string-locking wrap on the tuning posts with a minimal number of total wraps (stretch, stretch, stretch those strings)
    8) play a LOT to break it all in and settle things down

Success! This is a fantastic guitar! I hope this might help somebody. PS - I have no affiliation with any of these products/vendors.
    sounds cool. any pictures as I'm totally unfamiliar with these guitars.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Pre-stretching the strings is paramount on any trem, but even more so in a Bigsby. You need to work the Bigsby while stretching. When you install the strings ( another near-impossible job on a Bigsby ) they'll move to line up on the first few uses of the trem.

Another thing is that the Fender Maverick Dorado uses standard Tune-o-matic style saddles instead of the roller style or rocker bridge you want with a Bigsby, so between that and the funky bar required for the super long headstock to keep the nut angle correct it's probably going to be an uphill push keeping the guitar in tune if you use the trem a lot.

And of course, the nut has to be perfect which rarely happens on modern Fenders.

Finally, a Bigsby is a trem - not an 80's hair band dive bomber, so if you're moving the bar more than a quarter of an inch each way you're going to have some issues.

Bigsby's are fun, I have one on a guitar but you need to learn to understand their quirks to make them work.

Chuck
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 07-05-2021 at 07:58 AM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim