Thread: Looks like I'm doing my first replacement nut soon

Looks like I'm doing my first replacement nut soon

I got this otherwise sweet neck from eBay. Polished it up the frets then looked at the nut. Hi E is a vestigial imprint, low E would impress the Grand Canyon, D is lower than A or G by a pretty good bit. Me thinks I know why the neck was for sale.

Got a slotted bone nut coming my way. I'm thinking of getting one of those Stew Mac saddle/nut sander that looks like a little slot car with a vise in the middle.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Looks like I'm doing my first replacement nut soon

Which tool is that? I try to avoid buying expensive tools that only do one job if the job can be done well without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Which tool is that? I try to avoid buying expensive tools that only do one job if the job can be done well without them.
    Oh, crap. I could have sworn this was way less expensive before. Maybe it was on sale or it was an introductory price. Yeah, this is kind of steep at 189 dollars.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...le-sander.html

I might get one of these instead, make sure the nut slot is nice and clean

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...ing-files.html
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

Last year I refurbed an Epi SG that had the hardware and pickups missing. The nut had been replaced, but was a terrible fit. Since I planed on using it for slide, I installed a Zero Glide nut, lucked out setting the height on the first try!
    Since then, I have restrung it for lighter strings, and tuning, and still like the sound.

I've made and replaced many nuts. In fact, I'm about to replace the nut on my new to me PRS S2 Studio. The most important tool is a set of nut files. The key is to take your time so you don't cut a slot too low.

Hope the project goes well. I installed a nut in my Epiphone Les Paul years ago. First it was hard to find a lefty nut and I didn't trust myself to get a blank and slot it myself. I'd never worked on an electric guitar. Well, my job wasn't successful. I know this is stupid, but do pre-slotted nuts always have little raised things on the bottom of the nut? They didn't allow the nut to set down in the neck properly.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison