Thread: Mars!

Mars!

Not sure many of you actually like this subject but Mars will be closer to Earth during this October. Easily spotted by naked eye and suitable for astrophotography, for those who like that and own proper gear.

As for me, I love to read about astronomy and, as I always say, I'm a musician, not a photographer, but I was happy enough to catch the Red Planet in humble shots taken with my old Leica D-Lux 5, a pocket camera that definitely isn't the proper tool. I must say it was something, to be able to shoot another planet with such a small camera and yet be able to get its actual round shape and color, not just a shiny and blurry star-like dot in the sky.

The original picture, which looks cool when zoomed

My old man shot Mars too, but with much better gear. I'll post it here as soon as he sends me what he's got.

Re: Mars!

I'm not sure why it loses definition when I upload it. Looks much better and less pixeled in my own computer. I'll try to fix it, but still, pretty cool for a pocket size 10MP camera

You can see its color--I'd say that's pretty awesome!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    You can see its color--I'd say that's pretty awesome!
    Yes, I mean of course the picture itself isn't anything fancy but considering it's a picture of another planet taken from my yard with a 10 year old 10MP pocket camera, no tripod or anything... I'd say it's pretty cool.

you should see my google news feed, it is about half astronomy news, hubble this and hubble that. I have daily emails from earth and sky dot com. just yesterday I had a kickstarter banner ad for this wicked cool automated telescope with camera feed to your cellphone. So, yeah, I'm inclined to like this kind of stuff. I've been all about space since the start of elementary school. I probably wouldn't sign up to colonize Mars but if I were asked if I wanted to go to the moon (with the provision I get to return) I'd do it in a heartbeat. Visit the ISS? Hell, yeah, I'd do it.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Anyone else following the Perseverance mission? This new Mars rover will gather much more data than its predecessor, Curiosity.

Reading about astronomy is one of my hobbies and I’m excited! It’ll reach the planet in 13 days:

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/

I've been watching this since long before it launched. I love astronomy and space exploration in general. So many things they're talking about now that won't be happening until the 2030s. Good lord, I'll be in my 70s by then. I just hope I can still see. Just so much way cool shit. I don't really have any desire anymore to go to Mars unless they develop a way to get there in a month or less. I'm not spending 2 or 3 years of the last part of my life in flight.

I'll still gladly go to the moon, though. I've wanted to since elementary school. But I'd settle for an orbital flight or a visit to a space station. To quote Tom Petty, I just want to "leave this world for a while"

The amount of information they're still digging out of data collected 30-40 years ago is amazing. The stuff they're gathering now will take generations to mine to its fullest. That almost pisses me off that I won't live long enough to see it all.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I am particularly interested in alien life, Perseverance is said to be going to search for vestigia of life on mars in the past times when there was actual water there. This propably won't take too long to find out!

Another thing that caught my eye last week was the scientists' opinions on Oumuamua.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...r-solar-system