Thread: Fender Bassman Speakers

Forum Member

Fender Bassman Speakers

Hi everyone

I'm playing a Fender Bassman ... 2X 15 inch speakers
    Sounds like one of the speakers is broke.
    I'm in the middle of a recording session.
    Can I just disconnect the broken speaker and only play and record the other one?

Thanx

Re: Fender Bassman Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by D3LL View Post
    Hi everyone

I'm playing a Fender Bassman ... 2X 15 inch speakers
    Sounds like one of the speakers is broke.
    I'm in the middle of a recording session.
    Can I just disconnect the broken speaker and only play and record the other one?

Thanx
    Hello, and welcome to the forum

I may be wrong but if you just take the wires off the tabs off one speaker you open the circuit of the cab and that could be very bad for your amp if you plug it in without testing first.

Short answer: yes, you can run it with one speaker. Longer answer: you will change the sound and you will have to watch the volume you play at. If you disconnect the wires from the suspected broken speaker, you will need to connect them to complete the circuit of the cabinet. Test the cabinet with a 9-volt battery (youtube video of this surely exists) and make sure it makes a sound before plugging in the amp.

Are you in a studio? At home? Forum time stamp shows your post at 3 in the morning. I'm going to take a wild guess that you are not using the bassman as a bass amp but rather a guitar amp. If you were playing bass, you can always go direct and reamp later. If guitar, hey, you can do the same thing now that I think about it. Unless you're playing live with the rest of the band. So, as you might see, a little more information is helpful.

First, I would make sure whether it's the speaker or the amp. Try the amp with another speaker, try the cabinet with another amp. Check all the cables being used. If it shows the cabinet is the problem, test each speaker separately with a 9-volt battery.

As you can probably guess, unless you have another amp, cabinet and/or direct option available, the continuity of your recording session is doubtful at best. Good luck.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"