Thread: Here It Is - The First Sunday In October

Here It Is - The First Sunday In October

The fall weather is clearly dominant now around here. Temperature highs have dropped about 20°F from just two weeks ago. Lots of people have put Autumn/Halloween decorations up, and the air has a definite twinge to it.

I'm downtiming this weekend. I had a training class all week, and while I enjoy doing them, doing them requires me to be "on" all the time, so yesterday I spent most of the day reading and guitar playing, punctuated by a brief trip to my office to water the plants and grab some carryout lunch.

Today it will be church that gets me out of the house this morning, and I plan to either walk or ride my bike this afternoon just to let my heart know I still care about it. Otherwise, it's just more reading and playing.

Here's hoping a nice Sunday is had by all, and a forward-thinking week ahead.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Here It Is - The First Sunday In October

I had a buddy over last night for a jam---masks, for sure. He brought his Tele (check out my post in Telecasters), a new Performer with a humbucker in the neck position. I hadn't had a chance to try out my Hofner, fretless Jazz, and my Ric 330. Dude was blown away by how good the 330 sounded. It is my number 1. It's simply the most comfortable guitar I play.

This was my first jam since COVID. I struggled to play well. Still, it was fun.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Good morning! This week has faded into oblivion like most since March. I did a couple "in-person" training sessions this week. Everybody wore masks and we met in rooms large enough to keep far apart. Saturday we actually met outside in an enclosed area under a two story school. It was a bit brisk when we started - at 8:30 (when I got there) it was in the 40's. That added to the stress because there is a lot of dissention on this board and they expected me to "heal" it. I expected a shit show, but it actually turned out OK. Once I ignored the instructions from the superintendent and board chair and trusted my own judgement, things worked out better. I have several more meetings this week, but woke up with a sore throat, but no fever, so I may go looking for a COVID testing site to make sure I'm OK. I'll remote into those meeting if there is a question as to my health. Now that I'm meeting people outside on my normal bubble I need to make sure I'm not putting myself, or others, at risk. One of my trainer friends from Alabama did a workshop with a board - everybody got too comfortable and took off their masks and one board member was sick and got my friend sick. She was pretty sick for a couple weeks, but seems on the mend now. 2020 sucks and COVID sucks...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I had a buddy over last night for a jam---masks, for sure. He brought his Tele (check out my post in Telecasters), a new Performer with a humbucker in the neck position. I hadn't had a chance to try out my Hofner, fretless Jazz, and my Ric 330. Dude was blown away by how good the 330 sounded. It is my number 1. It's simply the most comfortable guitar I play.

This was my first jam since COVID. I struggled to play well. Still, it was fun.
    We did this a few weeks ago. It felt great!

We're getting rid of a large entertainment unit in our living room and replacing it with a smaller table/console/stand and a larger wall mounted TV. It's turning out to be more work than we expected! I hope to put it aside later and go for a ride in the Miata and maybe try a different speaker in one of my amps.

plus one on the fall weather and a twang in the air. When I pulled my mask down outside last night, I immediately smelled that hint of smoke. My brother and I went to our nearby favorite spot and had pizza and a liter of Oktoberfest. I walked around afterwards and hit a couple of pubs.

I came home, plugged in after hydrating and light snack, and proceeded to play into the early hours of the day. Finding my Sennheiser phones significantly improves comfort while playing.

Will probably be spending the next few days cleaning up the apartment before the annual inspection. I already moved a bunch of guitar boxes to storage. At least there's no football to distract me this afternoon.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

We spent this morning at our favorite Sunday morning pub for breakfast ans, thanks to the Corona virus, there was virtually nobody there besides my wife and I. This afternoon I go back there to play a three hour duo with a good friend (properly distanced on stage) where we maintain a safe distance from whatever listening audience we get.

Tomorrow the tree doctors are supposed to get to my home to take down 10 large ash trees that are in various stages of life thanks to the Emerald Ash Borer. I’m hoping to talk them into taking down 13 trees and that leaves 10 more to be taken down next spring. My neighbor is paying $800 per tree while I’m paying $400 per tree with stump removal. A good friend recommended the guys doing mine after they have removed trees from a few of my friend’s properties.

TFF Stage Crew

Bunch of household chores, then I finished up the guitar and keyboard parts to Rush's YYZ, the latest video-project. I sent it off to the bass player so he can record his part, then it'll go to a drummer buddy in Indiana who is a monster player and a Peart mega-fan. As I've been doing with all these cover-song videos, I learned the guitar solo note for note, and, I have to say, this was by far the most challenging one to date. Kudos, Mr. Lifeson!

Hope you're all doing well.

Praying for good result on your test, GJ!

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    We spent this morning at our favorite Sunday morning pub for breakfast ans, thanks to the Corona virus, there was virtually nobody there besides my wife and I. This afternoon I go back there to play a three hour duo with a good friend (properly distanced on stage) where we maintain a safe distance from whatever listening audience we get.

Tomorrow the tree doctors are supposed to get to my home to take down 10 large ash trees that are in various stages of life thanks to the Emerald Ash Borer. I’m hoping to talk them into taking down 13 trees and that leaves 10 more to be taken down next spring. My neighbor is paying $800 per tree while I’m paying $400 per tree with stump removal. A good friend recommended the guys doing mine after they have removed trees from a few of my friend’s properties.
    Maybe you can save some of the larger pieces and sell them? Fender has already said it won't make more Ash bodied-guitars. Shame.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Maybe you can save some of the larger pieces and sell them? Fender has already said it won't make more Ash bodied-guitars. Shame.
    There are probably local luthiers that would love to get their hands on some! We had a beautiful old Elm tree in my parents front yard that died from Dutch Elm disease many years ago. It broke my parents heart tp lose that tree.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    Bunch of household chores, then I finished up the guitar and keyboard parts to Rush's YYZ, the latest video-project. I sent it off to the bass player so he can record his part, then it'll go to a drummer buddy in Indiana who is a monster player and a Peart mega-fan. As I've been doing with all these cover-song videos, I learned the guitar solo note for note, and, I have to say, this was by far the most challenging one to date. Kudos, Mr. Lifeson!

Hope you're all doing well.

Praying for good result on your test, GJ!
    Took the test - results back Tuesday or Wednesday. Doc agreed it's probably just a cold, but we can't be too careful. I'm 67 with high blood pressure and I could stand to lose a few pounds, so being cautious is fine with me. I did get outside and work on my deck for a couple hours, too.

Hey, GJ. All the best to you. I hope you're all right.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Good luck! I was tested a couple of weeks ago due to cough and cold symptoms. Just as a precaution. I think my boss and HR were more concerned than I was!

Best of luck, my friend!!

Had a private party gig, and home chores this weekend - a LOT of stuff happening at Chez Frank. not all good - not all bad but seems like a lot of both.

Had several calls and picked up a DJ gig this month which I actually like. 3X the pay - less eqpt but a lot of front end loading.....I'm good with it. Jams are back online so thats 5 this month......running/sound. picked up two more band gigs outside this month - bonus........no Mosquitos! *(I hope anyway).

Picked up a bass I had work done on. Needed a new nut - fret dress and crown/polish. Lower wide frets and I tweaked it to taste. WHAT A GREAT Machine. I put this together from parts a while back.......Reggie hamilton neck (Basically a AVRI Jazz) - I added vintage style large plate tuners. Highway one body (was red - now maroon with some brown KIWI), Road Worn Pups, AM STD control plate - already ready already......vintage threaded bridge from My Jaguar (added BAII to that to counter neck dive) and a pearloid pickguard. I have 4 Jazz basses to keep - 2 Roadworn, this one, and a Suhr. The Jaguar will likely stay around for a while too.

Oh - had a chance to give a once over to a Bassman 200 15" amp I was gifted. Preamp section didn't seem to be functional, was using with an outboard preamp into effects return. Ribbon wire was loose and oxidized. Cleaned and reconnected. Gifted to a friend who plays, is a little down on funds, and needed a functional gigging amp. He should be solid now - for a while anyway.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>