Thread: Oh that little pickup right there in the middle....

Oh that little pickup right there in the middle....

I love the strat's middle pickup. Having been using just the bridge and neck positions for the latest works with the band, I recently rediscovered the middle.

Two days ago I was rehearsing with the boys at the studio and we covered the Stones' Tumbling dice. I tuned the strat to Open G, capoed it at the 4th fret, selected the middle pup and as I played the intro, I smiled as a teenager at a Stones show.

The middle pickup is allegedly Leo's "normal sound", and yet it is just so versatile. I can't understand why it is so often overlooked.

Using the tone control you can make your strat go from a very countriesque Tele-ish twang to a smooth jazzy lead tone.

A pretty nice video about it:

Anyone else?

Re: Oh that little pickup right there in the middle....

I love the middle pickups, especially on my Strat that doesn't have a tone control on that pickup. It gives it more edge. My new to me Strat has a tone control on the middle pickup and I don't use it as much.

The two electrics I've been playing of late have only two pickups, a bridge and a neck. I do find myself using the neck or middle position on my selector switch almost to exclusion of bridge pickup-only.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I like the middle pickup of my strats, gives it that something special that only Strats do.

I tend to use the middle position in two pickup guitars as well, and especially Gibson with 2 tone/2 volume. I had gotten away from there for many years with a succession of strats I had in the '80s and '90s. Then one day I saw an old Ibanez lawsuit LP copy just like my old one and bought it on a whim. That opened the floodgates back to humbuckers/Gibson.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"