Thread: Fender '94 Twin Amp (Evil Twin) Amp - Reverb Repairs and General Walkthrough

Forum Member

Fender '94 Twin Amp (Evil Twin) Amp - Reverb Repairs and General Walkthrough

I am sending my recently purchased 1994 era Fender "Twin Amp" to have a qualified tech check it through as I plan to keep it for the long run. I'm asking here for any one with experience with these twin amp 1990s models. It's a PCB amp, not a "Twin Reverb" style circuit but rather its own thing, with a very nice clean channel with 25w and 100w switcheable power stage on the back of the unit. Even 25w of tube power is rediculous in most homes but it's my first 2x12 cab amp, and I love it to bits.

The big problem with it right now is the Reverb doesn't work. I've checked it out and all the tubes light up, at least the heater filaments are working. There's a 12AT7 tube on the reverb send side of the circuit and a 12AX7 on the other side picking up the returned signal from the tank. I've checked the obvious stuff such as that the RCA cable is good and that it's plugged in at the amp metal enclosure end and at the tank itself. I am not going to open up the guts as if a tube swap wasn't fixing it, it's going to a tech.

So the reason for my post isn't the above, the above is just context. The reason for my post is that I also printed out the manual (useless six pages of fluff) and the amp tech notes pdf (the useful stuff). There are recalls for this unit from back in the 1990s, and one of them says that the stock circuit on this amp has an expecially noisy effect return amp circuit and requires modifications to correct.

I plan to ask the amp tech to check that and other "back in the day" rework/recalls were done on this amp, but also would like to know from anyone familiar with these models, what else would you have done on an amp of this age? 1994 is 26 years ago, after all. I trust the tech I'm going to will know a lot (he's been working for 30 years) but I just wanted to throw this question up here to see what I might ask about. The caps? Clean headroom mods?

What I want from this amp is a clean, rediculously loud 2x12 all tube clean channel. I have that in spades. I love it. I just want to have a tech give it some love and check its health, and do stuff to it that would increase my playing joy, like restoring the reverb, and getting the reverb channel to be able to be up on 10 without a high noise floor.

W

Forum Member

Re: Fender '94 Twin Amp (Evil Twin) Amp - Reverb Repairs and General Walkthrough

I picked up a "'94 Twin" chassis several years ago, but never did anything with it, and traded it.
    From what I've read these were never intended to be the clean platform that the traditional "Twin Reverb" is.