Thread: Mustang GTX-50 Firmware Update

Forum Member

Mustang GTX-50 Firmware Update

Hi all! Just bought the GTX-50 and having a difficult time updating the firmware....ugh.

The documented way of doing this is to join to wifi, turn it off, then turn it on while holding down the centre button and the magic just happens....

or not.

I have tried multiple types of wifi connection and even though the wifi says it is connected before the reboot, i get an error that comes up saying that the "Amplifier update server is unreachable".

Even tried Fender support portal, but had no response from them .

Next is to do a wireshark capture or set up my own DNS server and see what it is trying to hit to see whether that web site is actually alive, but I figured I can't be the only one trying to do this. The Tone app seems to be limited as a number of the features fail saying that the amp firmware needs to be updated. Amp is currently at 3.0.52. Fender release notes suggests that there is a 3.0.73 available (https://tone-support.fender.com/hc/e...-Release-Notes)

Has anyone had any better experience or had advice on how to manually update the firmware (eg from USB)? Anyone here know what web site the updates are hosted on so I can at least work out if that's the problem.

This has been going on for more than a week, so I am pretty sure it isn't just transient thing.

Not a great start...though I am actually happy with the sounds that the amp is producing (mind you I am coming off a low base!).

Cheers
    Craig

Re: Mustang GTX-50 Firmware Update

I don't own one of those amps, but we've had discussions about it. I believe Fender has stopped updating the software on these, and you, like the others, have had trouble getting help from Fender.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in: has there been a fix? Or am I wrong about support on this model?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

That completely sucks though. How can Fender release a new amp model and justify halting all support for it in the same year!!!

It is flaky as is and having no way to get to the latest firmware is unacceptable.

Looks like I'll return it and go Katana as I should have done the first time.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by dunscj View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

That completely sucks though. How can Fender release a new amp model and justify halting all support for it in the same year!!!

It is flaky as is and having no way to get to the latest firmware is unacceptable.

Looks like I'll return it and go Katana as I should have done the first time.

Cheers
    I might be wrong. I know some owners of the digital models lost out when Fender wiped support for them. I'm not sure about your particular model. Hopefully, someone else will chime in with better info than I have.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison