Thread: What Would You Like Played At Your Funeral?

What Would You Like Played At Your Funeral?

I don't intend to be morbid, but I've heard people request certain songs to be played at their funeral, and for years I've had two in mind:

Emerson, Lake & Palmer Lucky Man
    Vangelis Spanish Harbor

I'm not even sure why these resonate with me. Well, "Lucky Man" is a bittersweet song, and "Spanish Harbor" is an instrumental that just has a flowing feel to it, with some very tasty Spanish guitar work. And I don't play Spanish guitar!

Still, those are mine, unless and until I change my mind. Do you have any funeral song wishes?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: What Would You Like Played At Your Funeral?

A few of my own songs. They represent my life in stages. Just a few songs so that all of my family knows who i was.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Certainly a Grateful Dead song.

Interesting question O.S.

When I take my dirt nap, while I would prefer "party songs" because I don't want people to be sad, I would prefer them to celebrate.

But one song that has always stayed with me is "Ave Maria". I'm not catholic, or particularly religious, but I think that song is one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

Music has always been a big part of my life, and I intend to include it as part of my funeral. but I haven't decided how that will play out just yet.

Other songs? Maybe "After Midnight"
    "My Way"
    "Expressway to Your Heart".
    Some jazz, especially by George Barnes. Just music, no words
    "You Can't Always Get What you Want"
    Why drag things out too long?
    You asked, I answered.

I certainly hope that you're not asking because of something impending.
    Cheers,

High Hopes from The Division Bell (Pink Floyd) would be up there. Also Crying from Malmsteen's Trilogy from the top of my head. And of course a couple of my own tunes. Especially an instrumental I recorded some years ago, if I was in a state to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Keefoman1 View Post
    High Hopes from The Division Bell (Pink Floyd) would be up there. Also Crying from Malmsteen's Trilogy from the top of my head. And of course a couple of my own tunes. Especially an instrumental I recorded some years ago, if I was in a state to decide.
    I love The Division Bell album. It's rare for me to run across somebody who even mentions that album.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I love The Division Bell album. It's rare for me to run across somebody who even mentions that album.
    Fantastic album! I know "die hard" fans of Pink Floyd don't regard this album as highly as I do, but I didn't really listen to Pink Floyd before this came out. In fact, this is one is one of my favorite albums ever. The tracks and the production is superior as far as I'm concerned. :)

There's so much hatred of PF without the classic lineup that the album doesn't have a chance of getting the accolades it's due. Been the case so far.

I think the songwriting is primo. And the production is excellent. It escapes the awful 80s drums and samples of Momentary Lapse of Reason, though I like that album too. I probably listen to DB more than any other PF album--and I've been a fan since WYWH, when I was 12 and started understanding. And then, Final Cut is one of my faves too, so my tastes don't often line up with a lot of fans'.

Forum Member

I don't know that I care what's played for/over me. I've said the Indians, and Vikings have the right idea, buy a half cord of wood, and put me on top. Spend the money on food and drink for all who attend!
    My now departed friends/family and I will be looking down on it all! (Funerals are for the living, I hope they play music everyone there enjoys!)

John Cage’s 4’33”

followed by busting open a case of the finest single malt.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    John Cage’s 4’33”

followed by busting open a case of the finest single malt.
    Is that a silent piece?

Is that a silent piece?
    Yes...for maximum effect!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Yes...for maximum effect!
    You can stream that.

"Free Falling" by Tom Petty
    "Into the Void" by Black Sabbath
    "Space Trucking" by Deep Purple
    "Dark Star" and "St. Stephen" by the Grateful Dead
    "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin
    "Mountain Jam" by Allman Brothers Band
    "Freedom Is For Children" by Grand Funk Railroad
    "Seasons of Whither" by Aerosmith

followed by cremation via cord of wood, 5 gallons of kerosene and a highway flare. Keg party and pig roast to follow, and jams by local bands and anybody else who wants to join in.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

You can stream that.
    I would also like Cage’s ASLSP to play simultaneously. Then sandwiches will be served.

A few of my own songs. They represent my life in stages. Just a few songs so that all of my family knows who i was.
    I've got a couple songs that I wrote for full chorus and one is actually for funerals.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I've got a couple songs that I wrote for full chorus and one is actually for funerals.
    I would like my own songs played--not because I want my loved ones to say "He was cool" or "What a great musician and writer." .

It's not that. My sibs, nephews, and nieces have rarely if at all heard what I write. I write few love songs, and my songs are often related to my family and close friends or some phenomenon of human existence.

Life is busy, and I don't get a chance to get into conversations with my sibs about these things. When I die, they'll hear a part of me they've never known, and I hope it will help them to feel a connection with me that takes away the sadness of loss. I hope it will give them some comfort, like Mom's quilts give me comfort or like my Dad's wood work. It makes me feel close to them still. These things are expressions of who my parents were. Sure they left me material things, but the things that came from their hearts are most important to me and give me the most comfort. Dad's woodwork is rough, country stuff. Furniture makers would snub their noses at some of his work (he made it rough on purpose); I look at every nail and every plank and see my Dad in them. I loved him so much and as stupid as this sounds, sometimes when I look at something he built, I feel a rush of love for him. Same with my mom's quilt making, a sketch she made, an afghan she crocheted. I hope my songs will do that for my kids so that their grief turns to love without life-damning sadness.

I've sometimes thought about what my legacy might be. The room I'm sitting in right now has my great grandfathers carpenter's tool chest (pre WWI, handmade), my grandfather's radio table (1940s), my fathers military medals, citations and warrant and also a bookshelf he made. My Mom has gifted us with dozens of her handmade quilts over the years. Lots of other heirlooms about.

For me, a musical legacy seems too ephemeral so I wonder what my physical legacy might be - aside from all the "stuff" I've accumulated over the years that'll sold off for pennies on the dollar!

Incidentally, just this afternoon, my sister sent me the results of a DNA test she recently did. Results came back 91.8% Northern European - with a Germanic/Celtic association. We always knew that. The centre of origin points to the North Sea area. Since we can trace our ancestry back to Scotland, most certainly can link back to Danish invaders.

So, with certainty, I’m going for a Viking funeral.

A polka!

"Don't Get Around Much, Anymore."-Duke Ellington&Bob Russell

Quote Originally Posted by JDUB View Post
    "Don't Get Around Much, Anymore."-Duke Ellington&Bob Russell
    Oh, how awesome a choice! When the COVID lockdown began and I found myself self-quarantined for a while (going on six months now), I found an arrangement of this song and spent hours and days at a time learning it. It's a call-and-response type of solo piece using both chords and finger style. I thought it was so appropriate for the time, and it still is! When I want to change up the stuff I'm playing, I'll put some work into this. Thanks for the vote!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Zappa.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    Zappa.
    Broken Hearts are for Assholes would have everyone weeping---oh wait, that's exactly what the song's about, people whose hearts are busted in some way. So you'd be telling everyone mourning you that they're assholes.

Don't even get me started on Bobby Brown Goes Down.

Hey if I’m paying for the open bar...
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    Hey if I’m paying for the open bar...
    Shoot, if you're paying fo an open bar, you can get played anything you want.

If I were to choose Zappa songs for my funeral, and you've got to keep in mind that I'm the wild child of the family, and Zappa would be a shock to them.

1. The Cowboy Jim redo on The Best Band You Never Heard.... Jimmy Swaggart hitting it while watching a New Orleans style prostitute (this happened for real in Nashville)
    2. The one with the story about the college girls skinny dipping, and making fun of Steve Vai and the others.
    3. Camarillo Brillo
    4. Valley Girl
    5. All of the Central Scrutinizer bits from Joe's Garage
    6. And the grand finale: Catholic Girls

Forum Member