Thread: New Strat Day!

New Strat Day!

I wandered into a little music store yesterday and they had a 2002 Fender Classic Series '70s Stratocaster in natural with a rosewood fretboard hanging on the wall. I figured I'd try it out just for kicks, figuring it'd weigh a ton and the frets would be too small. It wasn't heavy at all (7-1/2 pounds) and the frets were plenty tall. There's a decent amount of wear in the cowboy chord area but the guitar was in great shape and came with a high end TKL case.

I like the big wide neck and the campy '70s looks!

I had some money from selling a bunch of gear and had been considering buying a Strat like this to install a Telecaster bridge pickup and Alembic Blaster a la Lowell George and didn't want a maple neck with vintage frets so I bought it!

The only drawback is that I haven't even gotten fully acquainted with the PRS S2 Studio yet! Nice problem to have!

I can no longer say that my 1966 Vibrolux Reverb is my only piece of Fender gear!

Re: New Strat Day!

Well, Don, you had to have that Strat. It was calling your name and wouldn't fit anybody else like you. You were made for each other. It was fate. Congratulations.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Lovely!

An interesting contrast in colors: light body, dark neck. It's usually the other way around.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

TFF Stage Crew

Very nice! Love that look.

I've been trying to find that look for a while now. The new CV70s are close but the good dark boards are so damn few and far between. It might be time to build my own. I have a dark rosewood fingerboard neck, the fret ends need filing big time. Now to find a suitable body to put it on. The only thing is the neck is a '60s style and I want a big headstock '70s style, just because.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I just finished setting the guitar up to my liking and it sounds good and plays well. The 7-1/4" radius fretboard requires that the high E be set a little higher to prevent choking on bends and the frets could use dressing (though I'd hate to lose any height). I set Strats up with high action, anyway.

Duplicate post!

Very nice looking Strat! Not a fan of the 7.25" radius myself either, but if set up right, you hardly notice the difference from a flatter radius. I really like the natural finish and the wood grain on this one! :)

That's a handsome guitar. I remember seeing a few of those in the 70s; bandmate had one and it sounded as good as any Strat I ever heard.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I went looking for those and the only place I could find any were on eBay from sellers in Japan, and the prices were well up there, almost new US made production price levels. By golly, though, the Japanese market definitely got the good looking rosewood fingerboards. Yeah, I'm going to pass on those for now. I should be selling not buying.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"