Thread: Tube amp turn to cabin .. Possbible ?

Forum Member

Tube amp turn to cabin .. Possbible ?

Hi ! I just wanted to know if i can use a SF Deluxe Reverb as a cabinet for tube head.. Possible ?
    Last edited by Can Corpse; 09-26-2020 at 06:56 AM.

Re: Tube amp turn to cabin .. Possbible ?

Quote Originally Posted by Can Corpse View Post
    Hi ! I just wanted to know if i can use a SF Deluxe Reverb as a cabinet for tube head.. Possible ?
    If the chassis dimensions are the same, then yes. If not, then not bloody likely

Perhaps you'd like to share which specific head?

Welcome to the forum.
    Cheers,

I think the OP is asking if you can cut down a SF combo into a head cabinet. While technically possible, I'd advise against it. There are plenty of cabinet makers out there who can fabricate a head box to fit a chassis.

With Fender combos, the tubes hang down below the chassis that is attached to the top of the box. Most heads have tube facing up from the chassis that is sitting on the floor of the box. That won't work with the SF combo chassis due to the angled face plate. There are Fender heads with chassis that hang the same way as combos.

But as it was said above, it has to fit exactly, there really isn't a 'close enough' or 'one size fits all'.

It would probably be less expensive to simply buy a tube head cabinet made to hold a SF Deluxe Reverb chassis. Depending on what year SF you're talking about, there's a strong likelihood that it's made of MDF, which is not as forgiving as wood to work with. Then you can either store the combo cab (recommended) and save it for when it comes time to sell the amp. A Deluxe Reverb in a combo will be a lot easier to sell than a tube head. Then you can sell the empty head cabinet and nothing of potential historical value gets destroyed.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I think the OP is asking if they can use their Deluxe's internal speaker with their separate tube head.

That's fine to do as long as the impedance is correct and the speaker can handle the head's output.

Want to stuff a Deluxe reverb into a head cabinet? Make sure there's enough room for the reverb pan.

More details are needed.

The way I read it, he wants to use a deluxe reverb cabinet for a head amp with a speaker.

Sorry to disagree.

Cheers,

Either way it can be done. As stated above, the amp can be disconnected from the speaker and the speaker be plugged into another amp as long as you can match the impedance and wattage. The speaker cable might need to be made longer though. If I'm not mistaken, the Deluxe Reverb uses a jack-plug for the speaker which means you can hook up an external cab to the amp. Again: the impedance (and wattage) is of importance, of course.

Bottom line: Everything can be done if you know what you're doing.