Thread: Strange days...

Strange days...

I was browsing Instagram and saw that Woodstock's official account posted a pic of some of the people who were cooking and serving food at the festival back in '69.

About 60% of the comments below were about food hygiene and especially the fact that one of the dudes was barechested and had body hair. You know... Typical modern day attitudes like "he should wear a hair net" or "ooh, chest hair stew!"

I don't remember having seen a single comment focusing on the experience or the fun of being in a festival like that one. I mean come on...

Not sure if I feel sorry for these kids or if I despise this brave new modern way of seeing the world...

Re: Strange days...

Sérgio, there is some speculation (scientific? I don't know) that the tendency to over-protect kids these days is actually having a negative side-effect. I recall reading that cases of autism have risen over the years. Now, is that because it's easier to diagnose now, or is it because immune systems haven't had the chance to fully develop, as they did in years past? I don't know the answer to this.

I do know that "rub a little dirt in it" isn't a common solution to "ow-ees" these days.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Sérgio, there is some speculation (scientific? I don't know) that the tendency to over-protect kids these days is actually having a negative side-effect. I recall reading that cases of autism have risen over the years. Now, is that because it's easier to diagnose now, or is it because immune systems haven't had the chance to fully develop, as they did in years past? I don't know the answer to this.

I do know that "rub a little dirt in it" isn't a common solution to "ow-ees" these days.
    So, I'm an old fart I contracted chicken pox when I was 1 month old. Consequently, I got shingles when I was 12.
    Am I concerned that I'll get shingles again?, Not particularly, but I will admit it was not very pleasant.

Are our young people "overprotected"? Perhaps.

But that is a very long time ago. 50 years. There's a whole lot of things that might bring up stuff from that time. Drugs? LSD? Sexual freedom? (sic)

I'm not quite old enough, during that time, I was 16, and in spite of how much I wanted to be there, my parents wouldn't allow it, and I was busy moving from St. Louis to Washington DC.

I don't think any one during that time was concerned about "hair", or anything else. Later, we were all more concerned about the death of Jimi, Janis and Jim.

Sorry, my post was slightly off topic, and I didn't mean to do that. Apologies.
    Last edited by ch willie; 09-26-2020 at 07:02 PM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I was browsing Instagram and saw that Woodstock's official account posted a pic of some of the people who were cooking and serving food at the festival back in '69.

About 60% of the comments below were about food hygiene and especially the fact that one of the dudes was barechested and had body hair. You know... Typical modern day attitudes like "he should wear a hair net" or "ooh, chest hair stew!"

I don't remember having seen a single comment focusing on the experience or the fun of being in a festival like that one. I mean come on...

Not sure if I feel sorry for these kids or if I despise this brave new modern way of seeing the world...
    Wouldn’t that require them to put down their devices, leave the house and go out into the dirty, noisy world?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Wouldn’t that require them to put down their devices, leave the house and go out into the dirty, noisy world?
    Ha! Thanks Dirtdog.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post

Precisely. And eeeeew, people playing instruments straight into amps, no tablets or computers with programs and auto tuners... Gross...

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Precisely. And eeeeew, people playing instruments straight into amps, no tablets or computers with programs and auto tuners... Gross...
    the horror ... the horror
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Remember: Bob Dylan nearly caused a riot when he plugged in.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Ha ha. After I reread the post without the sleep still in my eye.

Don't forget Bonnaroo. Conditions there are better, but it's still not for the weak hearted. I sure as hell wouldn't go. My son told me about all his experiences, and some of it's pretty Woodstock-ish.

I think the "kids these days" that we're talking about now are just an analog to 80s kids in malls. Maybe most prevalent in the public eye, but not representative of the generation.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison