Thread: Any concerns with newer Jaguars?

Forum Member

Any concerns with newer Jaguars?

Long-time Fender fan here — first post, even!! — and owner of a ‘62 Reissue Jazz Bass, an American Strat and a Player Series Telecaster. Have had virtually perfect luck with all of them. Really want to add a Jaguar (Player Series, MIM) to the herd but I’m reading some cautionary tales about their bridges. Do these newer model inherently have any particular “issues,” bridge-related or otherwise? I sure love the look and I think it would be a nice complement to my Strat and Tele, especially in the Capri Orange.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    - Sean
    .................................................. ......

Forum Member

Re: Any concerns with newer Jaguars?

Wow... I guess I'll take this as a 'no.'
    - Sean

I haven't seen any posts from members about the Fender player guitars or basses. I take it that none of us has one. Or if so, it hasn't been something in the forefront of discussions.

A lack of response means we just don't know. We get a lot of people coming through who post once and are gone, who don't introduce themselves, but throw out questions about gear. I'm not criticizing you. It's just that we don't know you, and then you ask a question that none of us has an answer to. Maybe if we had more discussion with you, someone would pipe in with info that could at least lead you that way.

Here's what I know: on other fora, I've seen people with Fender Player basses complain about terrible tuners and bridges.

And a friend of mine bought a Squier Jag whose bridge might as well have been tinfoil. I just don't know about a player Jag. I've read good reviews on the Player series on guitar magazine sites, but their reviews almost always sound like they let the guitar companies write the review themselves.

Googled and found this forum--doesn't seem to be very active, but you might get more information on a forum dedicated to Jags, Mustangs, and Jazzmasters.

https://www.jag-stang.com/forum/

Good luck.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

The lack of response could also mean that we haven't visited the forum since you asked late last night. Things can move slowly here.

I don't have any experience with Jaguars, but judging by the specs, they've improved some of the concerns of the past.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I haven't seen any posts from members about the Fender player guitars or basses. I take it that none of us has one. Or if so, it hasn't been something in the forefront of discussions.
    A lack of response means we just don't know. We get a lot of people coming through who post once and are gone, who don't introduce themselves, but throw out questions about gear. I'm not criticizing you. It's just that we don't know you, and then you ask a question that none of us has an answer to. Maybe if we had more discussion with you, someone would pipe in with info that could at least lead you that way.
    Here's what I know: on other fora, I've seen people with Fender Player basses complain about terrible tuners and bridges.
    And a friend of mine bought a Squier Jag whose bridge might as well have been tinfoil. I just don't know about a player Jag. I've read good reviews on the Player series on guitar magazine sites, but their reviews almost always sound like they let the guitar companies write the review themselves.
    Googled and found this forum--doesn't seem to be very active, but you might get more information on a forum dedicated to Jags, Mustangs, and Jazzmasters.
    https://www.jag-stang.com/forum/
    Good luck.
    I totally get that, CH. I'm a member of other forums too and I know exactly what you mean. A bit of egg on my face for seeming so impatient. I guess I figured that a Fender forum would be so widely and frequently visited because of their world popularity, that I'd get responses in no time.
    I do have a Player Series Telecaster that I'm really happy with and which has gotten some very nice comments from some guitar-snob friends. I didn't mean to lean so much toward asking about Player series guitars as a whole, but more specifically about the Jags. I know what you mean though about so many reviews seeming like they're written by the company's marketing department!
    Thanks again, and yeah, I'm a Fender guy, so I ain't gonna be a stranger. When my new Jag gets here, I'll put 'em all together and post a family pic...
    - Sean
    - Sean

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    The lack of response could also mean that we haven't visited the forum since you asked late last night. Things can move slowly here. I don't have any experience with Jaguars, but judging by the specs, they've improved some of the concerns of the past.
    Yep, excellent point there. As I mentioned above, I have a bit of egg on my face, somehow thinking that there'd be a dozen responses, within hours of my post, on this sub-forum. I hope you're right about these later Jags raising the bar a bit. I think that's definitely the case with the Player Series Telecasters, at least....
    - Sean

@EssEll, there's a bit of a history with this site. One that I'm not in a position of knowledge to elaborate, so maybe one of the older hands might drop in and fill in the blanks.

What I know is that this site is the sister site of
    The Les Paul Forum. Little sister, you might say. TLPF is a busy, popular site. This site nearly went under a few years ago, but was salvaged, and is for all intents and purposes, running on fumes.

It's become more popular since Fender shut down its official site (this is NOT an official Fender site), but the "regulars" here numbers in perhaps the dozens, not hundreds. That might change, and I've noticed an uptick in traffic in recent times. As others have said, a lot of the posts are "drive-bys," where a question is asked, and answer or no, the poster moves on. Some of us have hung around because there is really a good sense of camaraderie when the hectic day-to-day stresses and issues bear down on us.

Stick around. But be prepared to chill a bit, since we're knowledgeable (some of us) but low-key (most of us).
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    @EssEll, there's a bit of a history with this site. One that I'm not in a position of knowledge to elaborate, so maybe one of the older hands might drop in and fill in the blanks.

What I know is that this site is the sister site of
    The Les Paul Forum. Little sister, you might say. TLPF is a busy, popular site. This site nearly went under a few years ago, but was salvaged, and is for all intents and purposes, running on fumes.

It's become more popular since Fender shut down its official site (this is NOT an official Fender site), but the "regulars" here numbers in perhaps the dozens, not hundreds. That might change, and I've noticed an uptick in traffic in recent times. As others have said, a lot of the posts are "drive-bys," where a question is asked, and answer or no, the poster moves on. Some of us have hung around because there is really a good sense of camaraderie when the hectic day-to-day stresses and issues bear down on us.

Stick around. But be prepared to chill a bit, since we're knowledgeable (some of us) but low-key (most of us).
    Understood, sir; thanks for the info.
    I’ll see what I can do to be a fairly regular and engaged member. No guitar expert at all bu I’ve played for almost fifty years and have been a performer for many of them (still am) and most importantly, have always loved Fender guitars. Thanks again!
    - Sean

Quote Originally Posted by EssEll View Post
    I’ll see what I can do to be a fairly regular and engaged member. No guitar expert at all bu I’ve played for almost fifty years and have been a performer for many of them (still am) and most importantly, have always loved Fender guitars. Thanks again!
    Man, you're exactly the kind of guy we like here--50 years of playing. A lot of us have been playing that long and performing too.

What kind of music do you like to play?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I'm a youngster around here, having played for a just over 40 years. I picked the guitar up in 1971 but only lasted about a year and a half (I was 8) and didn't pick it back up until 1979.

Don't worry about whether you're an expert or not- none of us are the expert we think we are- or that we make out to be!

I tell people I'm only expert on one thing -- that's being myself. And I'm not always very good at that!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Man, you're exactly the kind of guy we like here--50 years of playing. A lot of us have been playing that long and performing too. What kind of music do you like to play?
    Played bass in bands in college (Bellingham WA area) and a bit while I was married with young kids but they took priority before too long. Later I played acoustic guitar in a duo for most of a decade, then have played solo guitar & vocals for past nine years -- Beatles to John Mayer to CCR to David Gray, etc. Just landed a spot playing rhythm and doing lead vocals for a good country/country-rock band in my area -- I'll be playing my Telecaster and a Gretsch 5422 there... and maybe my new Jaguar too! Lots of time to learn all this new material!
    - Sean

I was an English teacher abroad, and my university contract expired--I was out of work for a year and so I made my grocery money and electricity bill money from playing solo acoustic and singing, mostly in German "Irish Pubs". My gigs on the weekend were four to six hours with no repeats. It was good training, nice to make most of my living with music, and it allowed us to feed the kids during a hard time. 4-6 hour gigs are more exhausting than working in a Tennessee hay field in August.

Forum Member

I was an English teacher abroad, and my university contract expired--I was out of work for a year and so I made my grocery money and electricity bill money from playing solo acoustic and singing, mostly in German "Irish Pubs". My gigs on the weekend were four to six hours with no repeats. It was good training, nice to make most of my living with music, and it allowed us to feed the kids during a hard time. 4-6 hour gigs are more exhausting than working in a Tennessee hay field in August.
    Yowza! I think four hours is my longest gig, ever. Six hours would indeed be a flippin' marathon! I'd be tempted to play everything at half speed .
    Congrats on that though -- your talent provided for your family and that's a good feeling, I know.
    Last edited by EssEll; 09-25-2020 at 02:34 PM.
    - Sean

Yowxa! I think four hours is my longest gig, ever. Six hours would indeed be a flippin' marathon! I'd be tempted to play everything at half speed .
    Congrats on that though -- your talent provided for your family and that's a good feeling, I know.
    Well, what talent I had anyway. I had arm cramps at 5 hours that would cause my hand to curl up and lock that way. I'd usually have a friend who could massage it out. It was hard times and we had to eat.